XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

mixing PS fluids??

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:10 PM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Default mixing PS fluids??

Almost 2 years ago my son and I replaced the PS pump on my 1997 XK8. I took it to a local trusted shop to have the system flushed and refilled. Because the car STILL has not had the ABS-TCM-ECU circuit repaired I have not been driving it. Yeah....pretty SICK!

Anyway, a few days ago I did a startup to keep things circulating and my son noticed the PS fluid reservoir was empty. CRAP!

I contacted the shop to ask what fluid he refilled the system. He said he used the fluid I GAVE HIM. Uh OH. I had no idea, but assumed it was a good NON-synthetic ATF. He told me it was in a "green can". CAN? The only can I have for hydraulic systems id the "PENTOSIN CHF 1S" that I keep for my power top system. I doubt I gave him that can because it's what....2-3 times the cost of regular ATF. It's a 1 liter can, and is about 1/3 full. I remember using a little bit for my top reservoir, but nothing since. I DO NOT WANT TO REFILL WITH THIS PENTOSIN....especially since there is a leak.

But it says on the can "DO NOT MIX WITH ANY OTHER HYDRAULIC OILS".

So, do I just refill with ATF and take my chances?

Last edited by oldjaglover; Yesterday at 03:54 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:18 PM
Received 503 Likes on 327 Posts

CHF 1S is used in many power steering systems so I very much doubt whether it will do any harm. However, to be on the safe side, you could just buy whatever is the cheapest recommended fluid (Dexron 3 or whatever) and fill then system, run it, then syphon out the header tank and repeat this 3 or 4 times. It sounds as if there is a leak somewhere in the PS system so you should investigate that as well.

Richard

Old Yesterday, 04:29 PM
Received 8,304 Likes on 5,011 Posts

Common place to leak is the steel line to hose connection under the air cleaner box.
The hose assy is the return line/cooler circuit to the reservoir.

Old Today, 01:03 PM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcarman
Common place to leak is the steel line to hose connection under the air cleaner box.
The hose assy is the return line/cooler circuit to the reservoir.
Agreed.

But I just discovered something I must have forgotten when I bought the Pentosin for my power top system. It is SYNTHETIC!

Maybe that's why they say not to mix with other hyd oils? When I asked my mechanic he said not to use synthetic with what was used to flush the system,which I assume was regular ATF.

So, NOW what do I have....and do I need to start all over?

Old Today, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,515 Likes on 1,061 Posts

If you have both fluid around, try and pour them in a glass to see if they even mix. If not, maybe you can float the one you don't like and baster it out from the top.

As usual, the simple answer is that you have to go with the fluid that is specified for the system (simple ATF in this case I believe). It is mainly because that is what the system is chemically compatible with (think seals, hoses, etc.) but also because it is what was tested. If you use something else, "you are on your own" as they say.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old Today, 02:10 PM
Received 583 Likes on 279 Posts

Dexton 3 is the spec. on my P.S.Lid. Dex 3 is scarce since it has been superseded by Dex 6. Dex 6 is listed a Backwards Compatible for use in GM Transmissions. Dex 6 is also Synthetic and more expensive. Suggestion is purchase Dex 6 qauart $12-!4 and fill system, then flush is thouroghly 2-3 times once leak is repaired. I have mixed Synth. and Dino Prestone P.S. fluid and not had any negative experience. BTY, VW Guys Say No, but my TDI has not issues.