XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Montreal Wheels - Rimmer Bros?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 02:34 PM
Received 224 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Montreal Wheels - Rimmer Bros?

Hi all,

I have been through a lot over the last few months with my car. While it was out of commission, I decided I needed a pick-me-up. So, I decided I would swap out my revolver wheels for the staggered Montreals.

I have the rear set now--those were easy enough to get through ebay and the like. However, the 20x9 front wheels are exponentially harder to find. It seems no one has them in the US (despite many listing them as in stock). It seems as though I'll have to get them shipped over from the UK.

Has anyone used Rimmer Bros? They have the best price over there for them, and list them as in stock, but I have grown weary of things listed as "in stock" because they often aren't.

Option 2 is Jaguar Classic Parts, but I've read some horror stories about them on these forums. More expensive, but they also list the wheels as in stock.

Option 3 is DCR auto parts, but this is much more expensive. Dave has confirmed they are in stock though.

Option 4, UK ebay...

Hoping to eventually mount the montreals with high quality rubber as a summer set, and keep the revolvers with all-seasons (or "no-seasons") as a fall and early spring set. Also, yes, I have purchased the valve adapter, spare valve bolts, the BBS bolt tool, and valve caps--got those from pwmotorsport.

Old 09-23-2018, 03:44 PM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts

I've never had a problem ordering and receiving parts from Rimmer Bros. You may want to contact them and have them double check that the wheels you want are still in stock.

Stu

The following users liked this post:
EnjoyEverySandwich (09-23-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by StuG
I've never had a problem ordering and receiving parts from Rimmer Bros. You may want to contact them and have them double check that the wheels you want are still in stock.

Stu
Indeed! Just wanted to check that people have had decent experiences with them. I just found their chat option, and they confirmed that the wheels are available--thus ends the months-long search (knock on wood). All in all, I'm out about $3k for all four wheels in total. Hopefully all's worth it in the end.

Old 09-23-2018, 04:31 PM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts

"Hopefully all's worth it in the end".

If it makes you happy, then it's worth it. Life is too short to drink cheap wine or drive on wheels that do not inspire you.

Stu

EnjoyEverySandwich (09-23-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 04:35 PM

I'll take that as validation! You could probably use that to describe all parts of Jag ownership!

Old 09-23-2018, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,181 Likes on 760 Posts

I don't know what your freight options are but may be worth keeping in mind the Jaguar classic parts dealer delivery scheme.
Another member may have more accurate info but l believe delivery to a Jaguar dealer of your choosing is free.
l have never had an issue with classic parts.

EnjoyEverySandwich (09-24-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 08:09 AM
Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by EnjoyEverySandwich
Hi all,

I have been through a lot over the last few months with my car. While it was out of commission, I decided I needed a pick-me-up. So, I decided I would swap out my revolver wheels for the staggered Montreals.

I have the rear set now--those were easy enough to get through ebay and the like. However, the 20x9 front wheels are exponentially harder to find. It seems no one has them in the US (despite many listing them as in stock). It seems as though I'll have to get them shipped over from the UK.

Has anyone used Rimmer Bros? They have the best price over there for them, and list them as in stock, but I have grown weary of things listed as "in stock" because they often aren't.

Option 2 is Jaguar Classic Parts, but I've read some horror stories about them on these forums. More expensive, but they also list the wheels as in stock.

Option 3 is DCR auto parts, but this is much more expensive. Dave has confirmed they are in stock though.

Option 4, UK ebay...

Hoping to eventually mount the montreals with high quality rubber as a summer set, and keep the revolvers with all-seasons (or "no-seasons") as a fall and early spring set. Also, yes, I have purchased the valve adapter, spare valve bolts, the BBS bolt tool, and valve caps--got those from pwmotorsport.

Only one....................................

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-J...QAAOSwCRRa9vIW

EnjoyEverySandwich (09-24-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by toaster
Only one....................................

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-J...QAAOSwCRRa9vIW
Yeah, saw that one. Wasn't gonna pony up 925 GBP, and it was unclear how much the seller would discount if purchased outside of ebay.

Funnily enough, my bank flagged my purchase from Rimmer Bros as suspicious activity. But I put it through, and hopefully will see the wheels sometime next month.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by baxtor
I don't know what your freight options are but may be worth keeping in mind the Jaguar classic parts dealer delivery scheme.
Another member may have more accurate info but l believe delivery to a Jaguar dealer of your choosing is free.
l have never had an issue with classic parts.
Good to know you've never had issues with them! That'll still be helpful in the long run.

I think the dealer pickup option is not available in the US, otherwise I might've gone for it. A couple dealers claim to have them in stock, but they're like $1700 apiece. Point is moot anyway, as Jaguar Classic Parts turned out not to have them despite listing them as in stock.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 547 Likes on 406 Posts

Out of all the available wheels for the XK8/R my view is that the Montreals are the best looking, but I am biased for some reason . The amount of spokes is just about perfect and the overall look is rich. I found out just how difficult it was to find these when I slightly damaged one of the chrome rings on one of my rear wheels. The insurance company opted for a new replacement and there were none available. Then I stumbled on a display Montreal wheel that one of the local Jag dealers had (they only had the one wheel) and that was just perfect for me.

I still have the original rear wheel which really only needs a ring replacement. I don't know if I will actually ever get around to doing it but I am holding onto it just in case.

Doug

Old 09-24-2018, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 919 Likes on 654 Posts
Smile DCR! Scotland's Best!!

Hey Sandwich Man!

You will never go wrong if you use DCR...Dave is the best there is! If you want Montreal's, you know they have to be perfect and that what you will get from him! He's got all the equipment needed, such as the Valve stem Kit and Lug Nuts along with the Lock that every Montreal Owner should have....that is if you want to keep your "Montreal's"! I've bought several items from Dave and I've never had a problem...…! You can count on getting exact what you wanted...…….

Billy Clyde in Houston

EnjoyEverySandwich (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by bcprice36
Hey Sandwich Man!

You will never go wrong if you use DCR...Dave is the best there is! If you want Montreal's, you know they have to be perfect and that what you will get from him! He's got all the equipment needed, such as the Valve stem Kit and Lug Nuts along with the Lock that every Montreal Owner should have....that is if you want to keep your "Montreal's"! I've bought several items from Dave and I've never had a problem...…! You can count on getting exact what you wanted...…….

Billy Clyde in Houston
Much appreciated, Billy! Good to know. Always great thing to know of a reliable supplier. Love the floor mats you got from DCR--I might have to get my hands on a set. But maybe I should get the seat covers first...

Couple questions for you: Do the montreals need specific/different lug nuts? Also, what is the lock that you're talking about?

Old 09-25-2018, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member

Sandwich Man: The LOCKS are mandatory with Montreal Wheels, if you want to keep them! Go to DCR and Dave has them in a set. You get (4) Locking Nuts and a special Lug Nut Socket and Puller, along with (20) Lug Nuts for the BBS Wheel.....You can't tell which Nut is the Locking Nut unless you know what to look for..

I had a 1998 Topaz Coupe with the Revolver Wheels....That was about all they had back then and I Hated them...didn't keep that Car long though before I got a 2000 XKR Coupe, it had Double Fives on it.....much better looking, They were 18"and t think they were staggered....!

As to the Lug Nuts for the Montreal's and your 1997 hubs....I don't know if they will fit as they are 20" staggered Wheels that are 9" in Front and 10" in the Rear....You may even have to get new Rotors and Hubs.....Dave, of course, will know! The early Cars could be a little different...…

There are only (2) kinds of Jaguar owners, those with a set of Montreal's and those that are looking for a set of Montreal's!
Billy Clyde in Houston

Last edited by bcprice36; 09-25-2018 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 761 Posts

Couldn't agree more, the Montreal's are the best match, though I also like the Sepangs (which I use for my winter tires).

As I have another main ride, I am willing to let go of a spare set (true Montreal lovers have at least 2 sets right ;-)).

Old 09-26-2018, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Smile Sandwitch Man......

Originally Posted by avos
Couldn't agree more, the Montreal's are the best match, though I also like the Sepangs (which I use for my winter tires).

As I have another main ride, I am willing to let go of a spare set (true Montreal lovers have at least 2 sets right ;-)).
Avos is your Man...send him a personal note and he will get you the Montreal's that you want!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 09-26-2018, 10:54 AM
Received 295 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by bcprice36
There are only (2) kinds of Jaguar owners, those with a set of Montreal's and those that are looking for a set of Montreal's!
Luckily we have options, as MY favorite wheels would have to be the Perseus rims (as shown on this beauty):

Those are the Holy Grail for me (which is why I bought a somewhat similar set for my car)... the Detroit wheels are also VERY nice. Different strokes for different folks

toaster (10-13-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member
Question Blindside, the 20" Wheel Man..........

Blindside,

Now that's one Beautiful XK__ can't tell if it's an "8" or an "R" but just think how much Prettier it would be with "Montreal's" or even "Detroit's"!!!
I believe the Wheels on this Silver Beauty are: 20" RX2's, that were designed for the "Victory Edition".....Sure looks like them...……..

Billy Clyde

Old 10-13-2018, 03:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 761 Posts

I have placed my Montreal set on the classified section in case someone is interested

Old 10-13-2018, 07:07 AM

Avos! How I wish I had waited. Your price for the set is less than what I paid for the fronts! Plus, another member had offered me a fantastic price for the fronts alone. Could’ve saved a lot of money had I had a bit more patience...

oh well...

Old 10-13-2018, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by blindside
Luckily we have options, as MY favorite wheels would have to be the Perseus rims (as shown on this beauty):

Those are the Holy Grail for me (which is why I bought a somewhat similar set for my car)... the Detroit wheels are also VERY nice. Different strokes for different folks
I love the Perseus as well. In fact, I’d have probably chosen those, but they seem even harder to find than the Montreals!