XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

mountain

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 01:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default mountain

Re removal of the rear wheel hub from the hub carrier on a 1997 XK8. The hub/carrier assembly has been removed from the vehicle and the handbrake cable removed from the carrier. My workshop manual is vague on the hub removal procedure. Obviously the brake backing plate cannot be removed until the hub is removed. The hub needs to be pressed out from the inboard side of the carrier. If the ABS rotor is a tight fit on the hub, is there a risk of it being damaged.
The manual advises to use hub removing tool 204-113, indicating using a downward force on the carrier to remove the hub.
Am I missing something obvious as I cannot see how this can be achieved.
The vehicle has done approx. 200k km. The bearings appear in good condition. I am only considering dismantling to repack with fresh grease. Some would say don't disturb.

Thanks for any advice.

Old 08-25-2021, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Mountain, its not as complicated as it sounds. Usually the abs ring is on finger tight for me.

Let's say yours is not. Do you have a press BTW?

How to get hub out. No press:

It'd probably be a lot easier to mount it without inserting the axle. Allows it to rotate face down exposing rear. Note the abs ring rides on outside of hub shaft. Leaving easy access to hub shaft end. Got a ratchet that size? If no measure od of exposed shaft. Go to home depot buy a steel piece of plumbing that od. Put ratchet or plumbing on the shaft. 3 pound hammer the hub out. Be ready to catch it, keep bearing spill out under control.

Got a press? Same thing, just have to set up 2x4 or 2x6s to support carrier.

Friend before you do this take careful note of how far the shaft extends into abs. Its one of those things that may not look right on reassembly.

John

Old 08-25-2021, 09:08 PM
Default XK8 hub removal

Originally Posted by Johnken
Mountain, its not as complicated as it sounds. Usually the abs ring is on finger tight for me.

Let's say yours is not. Do you have a press BTW?

How to get hub out. No press:

It'd probably be a lot easier to mount it without inserting the axle. Allows it to rotate face down exposing rear. Note the abs ring rides on outside of hub shaft. Leaving easy access to hub shaft end. Got a ratchet that size? If no measure od of exposed shaft. Go to home depot buy a steel piece of plumbing that od. Put ratchet or plumbing on the shaft. 3 pound hammer the hub out. Be ready to catch it, keep bearing spill out under control.

Got a press? Same thing, just have to set up 2x4 or 2x6s to support carrier.

Friend before you do this take careful note of how far the shaft extends into abs. Its one of those things that may not look right on reassembly.

John
John, thanks for the reply. Now we can make some progress.

Old 08-26-2021, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member

M,
I assume you are replacing bearings?

My lessons learned:

Carefully note the orientation of the spacer. Very easy to install upside down.

Tag the bearing seals inner & outer. Believe me you can put them each on the wrong side. Doesn't work (ha ha)

Wear visible on shims or spacer? Buy new ones from jaguar. Low price, work a lot better.

Strongly vote for Timken bearings. Believe it or not, that's what jaguar sells from parts department. Not too expensive at all.

Thumbs down vote for the $38 bearings from I think jagbits. Mine just didn't last long enough to recommend.

You need to buy new axle bolt. Don't forget. You'll never get the old one to stay torqued without maybe Lock Nut application.

WTH while I'm at it. You NEED a 3lb hammer or bigger to get anywhere fast with removing the race. Probably need a proper chisel too. I tried it with a hammer, WOT!

John

Old 08-27-2021, 05:06 AM

John
Thanks for the additional info. The hub assemblies came apart with relatively light force. After 200k km I am glad I decided to do the complete job. The oil seal lips were worn and the bearings had a sparse amount of grease. All parts are available locally (Timken) so I should be back on the road in a couple of weeks.
Have a look at the web site of my local car club. Index Under the link 'Our Vehicles/Members Vehicles' there is a photo of two XK8's. The one on the left is mine and the other is a 2003 4.2 l. of a friend. There are approx 250 vehicles on the club register covering 64 makes, with 24 Jaguars.

Regards
Graham Maleny Australia.

Last edited by mountain; 08-28-2021 at 01:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Johnken (08-27-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member

Graham, wow nice ride! Looks like she just got polished.

John