XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

moving on

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 08:10 PM
ud
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Think what you want sorry if im over the top I'm just happy to have a car that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to maintain and get me from point a to point b. I'll get a manual for this car and figure this stuff out myself I do not know how to delete this profile please do it for me. I will no longer use this forum. Please and thank you. This is a good forum but like all forums they get out of control please remove my account. I do not want my information on here any longer.
Sincerely,
Joel

Old 10-20-2014, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Accounts are not removed Joel, however I've edited your account in such a way as to be as good as.

As for your negativity comments, In all honesty I see more kind & positive comments wishing you well with perhaps a few opinions thrown in
Personally, I think you may be a little over sensitive, either way........

Hope all goes well with the Lexus.

Best
Jim

Old 10-20-2014, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 558 Posts

I changed my mind (actually you changed it for me).

Please sell the Jag.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:20 PM
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

??? What just happened

Old 10-20-2014, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Juke
??? What just happened
???

It "seems" that everyone was ripping into Jdub about his Lexus........not the way I saw it, he's blown a gasket and decided to leave

I think perhaps a little frustration and the exuberance of youth?
Your view?

The following users liked this post:
Jag#4 (10-20-2014)
Old 10-20-2014, 08:31 PM
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by JimC64
???

It "seems" that everyone was ripping into Jdub about his Lexus........not the way I saw it, he's blown a gasket and decided to leave

I think perhaps a little frustration and the exuberance of youth?
Lexus are great cars, super reliable, solid, great resale etc... nothing wrong with owning one. Now........ there's nothing sweeter than a XK8 and we know what we own...

Oh well... hopefully he'll enjoy his Lexus and his XK finds a good home.

The following 2 users liked this post by Juke:
Jag#4 (10-20-2014), JimC64 (10-20-2014)
Old 10-20-2014, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member

+1 on the above

Old 10-20-2014, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

The thing it's not that Lexus are bad cars. I doubt anyone here would argue that Jaguar has the overall same daily driver reliability of a Lexus. I see why he bought one. I have to say I've had great luck with my XKR for reliability and parts are really reasonable.

I've looked at LS460L Lexuses/Lexii and although on paper they're great cars, I just don't enjoy driving them as much as their German Super Sedan competitors. I like my A8L in how it drives, and it doesn't have the numbness of the LS. I will say the Lexus is a better deal new, holds its value better used, will need less repairs, be less maintenance intensive, and parts will be generally cheaper. When I get on my A8, the experience makes me remember why the Lexus isn't in my garage.

The other thing is that Lexus doesn't make a car like these. Anyone arguing the SC400 or SC430 just needs to spend an hour with both cars and realize the Jaguar XK is nowhere near the same.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Jdub seemed to be a bit sensitive and surely thin skinned. Frankly, at least the older Lexuses (Lexi?) had some character and some reasonable aesthetics, and I hope he enjoys it because there isn't a single model of the new ones, from their little hybrid to the LFA that isn't butt ugly. It has to be the worst designed automobile line (aesthetics wise) on the market today except for maybe Acura.

As for his complaints regarding his XK8, all I can say is that I have passed 150,000 miles in my 2002 XKR, and it runs better than it did when I bought it almost 100,000 miles ago. I am amazed at how well both the interior and exterior have held up, as it's often mistaken by onlookers for a new car.

It has been my daily driver for the past 5 years out of choice, not because I don't have other newer cars to drive. I love it, in many ways more than my 5.0LXKR coupe. And it garners more compliments on a daily basis than even my Pantera.

I wish Jdub well, but eventually he'll miss driving his Jag.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:51 AM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts
Default Wow

That was kind of an interesting thread to read. He starts with a post on a Jaguar forum that would make a troll proud, he doesn't really get flamed (which would have happened on most any other forum for that) and then overreacts, still didn't get flamed that I could see, and takes his toys and goes home with a dramatic tantrum. In the end he doesn't have a Jag anymore so really no point in coming here anyway. Some folks sure love unnecessary drama. I blame it on reality TV shows.

I do feel for him though, I can recall my last XK-E, it was a modified coup and I was in school and it had been abused. Had to work in a Jaguar shop just to keep it running. You get a problem car and it makes you really dislike the brand but any abused car can be a problem car. I had a cougar once... But that is another story.

PaulCarr (10-23-2014)
Old 10-21-2014, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,366 Likes on 2,855 Posts

I'll cut him some slack, he's just a kid who's frustrated with the repair time and money he was having to spend to be able to drive his vehicle. Age and life experiences will wisen him up a bit. Eventually....

My wife caught Lexus Fever in mid-2003. She wanted an RX300, so I purchased a 2000 RX300 AWD with about 42,000 miles on the clock and the remaining factory warranty. That vehicle was a pig that required nearly $9,000 in warranty work to finally get it right (half of that money involved a complete transmission replacement at about 48,000 miles). Fantastic cooperation and customer care from the local Lexus dealership, however. By far the best I've ever had. They covered every single penny and my wife always had a brand-new loaner Lexus for as long as she needed it. After all that warranty work (some of it nearly 20,000 miles beyond the factory warranty but covered by Lexus as a "goodwill" allowance to us due to all the problems we encountered), the vehicle settled down and eventually went the distance for us. I sold it at about 130,000 miles....

My wife still had Lexus Fever so in early 2007, her 2000 RX300 AWD was replaced by a 2004 RX330 AWD with about 43,000 miles on the clock. Lexus had learned from their early RX mistakes and upgraded all of the known defects by this time. I must say that her RX330 was an outstanding vehicle that never required anything but routine maintenance until I sold it in July 2012 at about 130,000 miles. But both of those RX SUVs were soulless and boring as hell to drive, at least to me. She loved them, especially the second one....

But once her XK8 arrived, her RX330 basically sat in the driveway except for me taking it out once a week to stretch its legs and circulate its fluids. I warned her if she didn't drive it, I would sell it. But she was so enthralled with her XK8 that she didn't listen. So during one of her solo trips to visit her parents in Florida, I indeed sold it. She was mad at me for a few days when she returned, but driving her XK8 quickly made her forget all about her RX330....

Lexus makes some great vehicles and their customer care experience puts Jaguar to shame. But when it comes to eye appeal, driving experience, and soul, Lexus simply cannot compete....

The following 2 users liked this post by Jon89:
cjd777 (10-21-2014), DaveInVA (10-21-2014)
Old 10-21-2014, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
I'll cut him some slack, he's just a kid who's frustrated with the repair time and money he was having to spend to be able to drive his vehicle. Age and life experiences will wisen him up a bit. Eventually....

My wife caught Lexus Fever in mid-2003. She wanted an RX300, so I purchased a 2000 RX300 AWD with about 42,000 miles on the clock and the remaining factory warranty. That vehicle was a pig that required nearly $9,000 in warranty work to finally get it right (half of that money involved a complete transmission replacement at about 48,000 miles). Fantastic cooperation and customer care from the local Lexus dealership, however. By far the best I've ever had. They covered every single penny and my wife always had a brand-new loaner Lexus for as long as she needed it. After all that warranty work (some of it nearly 20,000 miles beyond the factory warranty but covered by Lexus as a "goodwill" allowance to us due to all the problems we encountered), the vehicle settled down and eventually went the distance for us. I sold it at about 130,000 miles....

My wife still had Lexus Fever so in early 2007, her 2000 RX300 AWD was replaced by a 2004 RX330 AWD with about 43,000 miles on the clock. Lexus had learned from their early RX mistakes and upgraded all of the known defects by this time. I must say that her RX330 was an outstanding vehicle that never required anything but routine maintenance until I sold it in July 2012 at about 130,000 miles. But both of those RX SUVs were soulless and boring as hell to drive, at least to me. She loved them, especially the second one....

But once her XK8 arrived, her RX330 basically sat in the driveway except for me taking it out once a week to stretch its legs and circulate its fluids. I warned her if she didn't drive it, I would sell it. But she was so enthralled with her XK8 that she didn't listen. So during one of her solo trips to visit her parents in Florida, I indeed sold it. She was mad at me for a few days when she returned, but driving her XK8 quickly made her forget all about her RX330....

Lexus makes some great vehicles and their customer care experience puts Jaguar to shame. But when it comes to eye appeal, driving experience, and soul, Lexus simply cannot compete....
I bought my 00 XKR at 23, my 87 Corvette at 18 and my Triumph GT6 MK3 at 16. My Triumph was a giant piece of crap built during not great times for the british car industry and was a poorly built vehicle when new. My Corvette was built during the malaise era from General Motors. My Jaguar has been a big leap over both cars.

I'm 27 but I've owned an worked on tons of stuff and really feel these are great cars for the money, fairly reliable and relatively inexpensive to run. I've worked on exotics with my dad and these cars are cheap as chips and easy to work on compared to a 911/Ferrari/Lamborghini or even Mercedes SLs.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts

I totally understand his frustration, which probably has more to do with his financial situation than the car itself. I'm 50 years older than he is (that's right - 73) and still work about 30 hours a week. I don't have a lot of money either, and buying a much later Jaguar model (or any $70,000 car) is out of the question. But one of the great things about these cars is that they are a great and affordable weekend/hobby car. If you are reasonably handy (and with the help of this forum) the majority of maintenance requirements are within your capability. So, while I understand our young friend's frustration, and the resulting blow-up, as being attributable to his age, the extent of his rudeness and disrespect to a group of great people who bear him no ill willis not acceptable.

Fortunately, none of US ever behaved that way.

JimC64 (10-21-2014)
Old 10-21-2014, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

if the dude was here long enough surely he figured it out via all the threads here that the Jags are not HONDA'S!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-21-2014, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

Whoa JDUB......
I didn't feel that much negativity. I don't think the gang here universally thinks that the XK is "The" best car either. True: it IS one the most beautiful cars ever, and it's undeniably a great GT, but to call it the best car ever? ....... nah...... that's way too subjective.

All that being said, I must give you a slight "dig" with respect to Top Gear's general response to Lexus. It's OTT as well, but humorous none the less.

Bottom line: Any car that YOU like to drive is a good car for you. Conversely, of course, any car that imposes sufferage upon you is not.

Best of luck with school. I've always been a gear-head, but while going for a Aerospace Degree back in the seventies, my MGB and Triumph were more than enough of a challenge. I could not have studied, worked, competed AND maintained my Jag as a daily car back then. Let your life settle down a bit. Graduate first. You too will find enough "questionable" diversions on your own later.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:03 AM
Received 153 Likes on 120 Posts

Oh no! We've upset someone! Just kidding, tough noogies. In this corner here, ladies and gentlemen, we have Exhibit A: The Teacup Generation. Far more prone to getting butthurt after the slightest of hand, vocal, and sharing TMI to the Interwebs after being coddled and handed participation trophies throughout life perhaps. And wanting praise and respect for buying a $3500 Lexus, BECAUSE IT'S A LEXUS YOU GUYS I'M SUCCESSFUL LIKE YOU AND WE'RE ALL WINNERS OH AND I HAVE A BIKE THAT IS FASTER THAN ALL YOU TOO SO THERE OK. Tourettes? Nope, just an overtly sensitive and ripe millennial with confidence issues. As I previously said and is common knowledge, a $3500 Lexus is a Japanese beater appliance at that rate of entry (is it not? you could clear customs in a 24 hours of Lemons chump race entering that, without bribes). This apparently teed the kid off, despite it being an obvious Japanese beater appliance that he bought for $3500. I figured he knew about this already. Oh dear. So he wants some sorrow for his victimhood then? Pity Strategy 1: play the 'poor student' card and 30 HOUR WORK WEEKS YOU GUYS. FEEL FOR ME BRO! Is he serious? Or is he actually a youth unionist in France? Albeit not on strike at the moment apparently if so, because 30 hours a week is full bloody time for the greedy boss over there!

No need to chase him down and provide a warm blanket and hot tea for his 'plight' here, folks. Let's let the door hit his **** on the way out first, before reality does, for a heads up. While I think we all can appreciate the general consideration shown to all by all in this great community, it won't register at a level of maturation for the occasional outlier. So, this one can come whining back here to me, for one, once he's graduated, working nearly double those hours in a career job, paying a mortgage vs. a landlord, and has a wife and 3 kids... if he wants to get blatantly personal with us and lay his playing cards all out on the table (and only some of mine) which nobody asked for or cared to see on the Interwebs. I WIN YOU GUYS, LOOK! ALL RED. Get back to studying, grasshopper. Sell your XK8.

Love,
Sentinelist
Citizen of Realville

dodgerjames (10-23-2014)
Old 10-23-2014, 02:55 AM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Bizarre! I couldn't see a single comment that would have offended me in the slightest!

We run a 2006 RenaultSport Clio 197 as a second car for hauling the dog around etc... so our main cars (My '06 XKR and the wife's 2014 RenaultSport Megane 265 Red Bull Special) don't get covered in crap - but I happily use the Jag for my daily 60 mile round trip commute as well as looking for any excuse to drive it for pleasure. Nothing on 4 wheels has ever given me as much joy as the big cat...

Old 10-23-2014, 03:00 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You drive a clio? Rubbish!

PaulCarr (10-23-2014)
Old 10-23-2014, 03:29 AM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mrobinson
You drive a clio? Rubbish!

Sadly the RS Clio will show the Jag a clean pair of heels on any real world road that isn't dead straight!

Blasphemy! I'll get me coat...

mrobinson (10-24-2014)