XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Multiple Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2020, 04:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Multiple Problems

Hi my name is Jodi I am new to the forum.i have read it a lot looking for issues to resolve i live in willimantic CT i have a 97 xk8 coupe 5he first problems I had with it was it would go into power fail mode then be fine then act up again do it's been sitting then battery died then I'm not getting any gauges working or anything oil has ect message board totally dead as well.then I went to take her for ride thinking it might charge battery and maybe instrument panel would work but the shifter would not go out of park .so I took shifter apart it looks like its missing a bolt I'm not sure or it may he because of sensor.i have not checked fuses yet either.any info or guidance would be greatly appreciated as I have my mechanic coming on Thursdays. Thanks jodi am praying can get my baby running again soon.

Old 03-09-2020, 01:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,419 Likes on 755 Posts
Default Let’s start at the beginning.

Jodi,

Welcome to the forum. As you’ve taken the shifter apart, you’re obviously handy with a screwdriver and wrench. I suggest we start with the power problem.

First thing about this car it needs a good strong battery. Owners tend to put it on a intelligent charger, CTEK is a good brand, when not in use. Get the battery

Did you start the car from a jump start? Or is it an intermittent starting problem. If so, probably worth checking the battery cables esp. their end terminals. Should be clean shiney bright surfaces and Tight.

Now onto the stuck in Park problem. If the car is running, when you put your foot on the brake pedal, do you hear a loud click, which is the solenoid releasing the Park lock?

Did you know on the face of the JGate module, left of P, is a plastic torque/star head screw. Unscrew that and insert a screwdriver, or the key, and this manually releases the car out of Park. Car can be started in Neutral still.

Good luck and let us know how you get on with the mechanic on Thursday.

Old 03-09-2020, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by DavidYau
Jodi,

Welcome to the forum. As you’ve taken the shifter apart, you’re obviously handy with a screwdriver and wrench. I suggest we start with the power problem.

First thing about this car it needs a good strong battery. Owners tend to put it on a intelligent charger, CTEK is a good brand, when not in use. Get the battery

Did you start the car from a jump start? Or is it an intermittent starting problem. If so, probably worth checking the battery cables esp. their end terminals. Should be clean shiney bright surfaces and Tight.

Now onto the stuck in Park problem. If the car is running, when you put your foot on the brake pedal, do you hear a loud click, which is the solenoid releasing the Park lock?

Did you know on the face of the JGate module, left of P, is a plastic torque/star head screw. Unscrew that and insert a screwdriver, or the key, and this manually releases the car out of Park. Car can be started in Neutral still.

Good luck and let us know how you get on with the mechanic on Thursday.
hi thank you for the advice.so I'm not hearing loud click its not releasing it out of park.i just put battery on charger but it was starting I just want make sure has full power. Also the message board isnt working either or gauges any other suggestions

Old 03-10-2020, 05:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,419 Likes on 755 Posts
Default Probably the brake switch

As you don’t have a click when you depress the brake pedal, it’s probably the brake switch behind the pedal. This is most probable as it’s Not common for the solenoid to go bad.

Still did you find the plastic torque screw on top of the J Gate to manually release it from Park?

As for no power in dash Instrument Cluster (IC) behind the steering wheel, I would check the battery power state first. Should be 12.7V or better, across the battery not connected to the charger.

There is a relatively easy way to get to the IC to check connections. Zero dollar try to clean the connectors (use proper Electrical Cleaner spray). See the Rev Sam Youtube video.

The following users liked this post:
Timeisrelative (03-10-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 01:52 PM
Default Help

My name is jodi I have a 97 jag xk8 I have been having problems with and any advice will be greatly appreciated as I posted before I have my mechanic c8ming on thursday tomorrow and want be able tell him where to start. So she wont come out of park she will when I pull apart shifter I charged battery I checked all fuses by eye in the trunk and driver side so far havent checked ones under hood yet or all relay ones either I have headlights and brake lights my steering wheel works my temp reads er and I have no gauges or message center at all.and I dont hear a click when I put on brake.i read to take it for a 10 mile drive and start in N.me and husband will try that tonight I dont really understand a hard reset I touched the neg to positive on battery but dudnt see anything so not sure doing it right. And I'm going to look by fuse box for reset button someone else suggested I'm at a loss just want get her fixed thank you all so much jodi

Old 03-11-2020, 02:00 PM
Received 6,366 Likes on 5,539 Posts

Jodi, I've added your new post to the existing thread.
It's better to keep everything together in one place.

DavidYau (03-11-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,820 Likes on 2,247 Posts

You have the hard reset procedure right. I hope your mechanic is able to help, it's difficult to do so online.

Old 03-11-2020, 08:54 PM
Default P

Roblem tesolved thank you everyone for all the help.so it was the little switch in fuse box near driver side.o pressed it and everything came back.so now I know and hopefully no big issues for bit cross fingers thanks again jodi

The following 2 users liked this post by Jodimarie:
DavidYau (03-12-2020), RJ237 (03-12-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 09:28 AM
Default Problem is back

Hi everyone so I had fixed the problem I was having with my 97 xk8.bur it came back again I had pressed that button fuse box driver side and it fixed instrument cluster and gauges and shifted correctly.i took it for a ride went to go home and stuck in park again.so I took apart shifter got or home. I have my mechanic coming 8n about a hour so I'm looking for any other suggestions of what to check or to do to fix this issue.thank you all un advance jodi

Old 03-12-2020, 09:46 AM
Received 314 Likes on 236 Posts

Have you tried pressing the button again?

Old 03-12-2020, 10:00 AM

Yes I tried pressing that button again.i am not sure i may not be pressing it hard enough as it's in a weird spot and I dont have lot of strength,m5 husband pressed it before.Ant other suggestions i could tell my mechanic to try and check would be helpful thanks again

Old 03-12-2020, 10:33 AM
Received 314 Likes on 236 Posts

I'd get your mechanic to try bypassing that switch as a starting point - it may be faulty. It's only supposed to trip in the event of an impact/accident, so the fact that it tripped at all raises questions about its serviceability.

DavidYau (03-12-2020)