XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Must have parts from a donor car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 04:37 PM
Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Must have parts from a donor car?

I have located an XK8 with a blown engine.

I can buy the entire car for practically nothing, but I cannot store it. The currrent owner will let me dismantle it at his place for a few days-SUPER NICE GUY.

Of course I have a list of all the parts I need, and will also take the tyres and wheels.

However, which other parts should I also take off? I am thinking that some parts fail more often and undoubtedly some parts are very expensive.

If you were in my place, what would you be sure to to take home? All suggestions are greatly appreciated, since I have never owned a Jaguar before and therefore have virtually no knowledge...

Old 12-07-2011, 08:14 PM
Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Mexk8
I have located an XK8 with a blown engine.

I can buy the entire car for practically nothing,....

If you were in my place, what would you be sure to to take home? All suggestions are greatly appreciated, since I have never owned a Jaguar before and therefore have virtually no knowledge...
- Every Electronic Switch, Module & motor you can find (and label them!)
- Bumpers, front and back
- Windshield
- Bolt on Engine Accessories (alternator, starter, air con pumps)
- Instrument clusters (if you didn't get under electronics!)
- Doors (really for Microswitches, latches etc)
- Transmission
- Any/all trim (if it matches yours, or to sell on ebay)
- Cupholders - if they're working!

In a pre-Jaguar life I used to be into Humber Super Snipes; I broke several cars and had the parts stashed under the floor, in the attic at my own, parents and grandparents houses. You never know what you are going to need. One recommendation would be to clean and label everything before you put it away....

-Steve

The following users liked this post:
Mexk8 (12-08-2011)
Old 12-08-2011, 03:56 AM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Just for curiosity, what happened to the engine?

Old 12-08-2011, 04:05 AM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Doors mirrors
Rearview mirror
Back glass
Wood panels
Instruments clocks
Throtle body
convertible pump
Grille (if an XKR)
J Gate
Headlights
Back lights

Old 12-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

You're just a little vague on the details. Is the car a 2001 red XK8 convertible with Magnaflow exhaust? And, you live in Playa Del Carmen? How far away is the car? How good is the rest of the car? If the car is in Mexico, was it spec'd for the U.S. or Mexican market?

If it just has a blown engine, why not move the whole car and purchase a used engine for $2000-$2800 to get it running? Motors for this car are very easy to find on the U.S. salvage market.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:34 AM

Not sure but I will find out tonight and let you know.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Bamaman
You're just a little vague on the details. Is the car a 2001 red XK8 convertible with Magnaflow exhaust? And, you live in Playa Del Carmen? How far away is the car? How good is the rest of the car? If the car is in Mexico, was it spec'd for the U.S. or Mexican market?

If it just has a blown engine, why not move the whole car and purchase a used engine for $2000-$2800 to get it running? Motors for this car are very easy to find on the U.S. salvage market.
Sorry for the confusion.

My car is the red 2001 XK8 with Magnaflow exhaust. I live in Playa del Carmen, and the car with the blown engine is an hours drive from me. My car was originally registered in the USA, whereas the donor car was purchased in Mexico. I don't know if there are any differences in the specs from USA to Mexico.

Buying anything for a Jaguar here is very arduous as the already expensive parts are out of sight expensive, mostly not available and take months to arrive. Getting parts from the USA is a much better option, but the paperwork and customs is paperwork nightmare. Plus the import taxes... I have friends bring things in their luggage and of course I pay the excess baggage, plus pick them up at the airport etc and supply plenty of soothing cold beverages.

I don't want to repair the car with the blown engine, as need the parts for my own. I recently bought mine accident damaged, and need the windscreen, rear hub, drivers seat, front fender, and headlight/ fog light.