XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2003 xk8 coupe center console squeaks

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 07:16 AM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default My 2003 xk8 coupe center console squeaks

I have a newly aquired 2003 xk8 coupe. While the cup holder actually works, but the armrest assembly squeaks when you lean your arm on it. The noise seems to be from internal rubbing of plastic to plastic and plastic to spring contact.

Is it a matter of old plastic or is this inherent in the design where replacement of the console or the console lid is futile. I don't know how these cars were when new.

Is there a cleaner, lubricant (parafin ?), surface treatment or other measure to mitigate this?

Any feed back on "jagbits.com" as a parts source?

-Steven

Old 08-14-2009, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

For what it is worth, my 2000 XK8 doesn't squeak, so I would guess it is not a common symptom of age.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

A good solution for these types of squeaks is to apply strips of self-stick velcro or felt on the surfaces.

Doug

Old 08-14-2009, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by K.Westra
For what it is worth, my 2000 XK8 doesn't squeak, so I would guess it is not a common symptom of age.

Thanks! That means replacement if it coes down to it should cure the problem.

Regards,
Steven (1avguy)

Old 08-14-2009, 06:18 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Two possible routes.

1. You could do some exhaustive research into what sort of plastic that Jaguar uses to make those parts, and then some more research into what sort of chemical/lubricant you might be able to apply that might resolve the issue.

2. You could do the same thing that I did. I noticed some noises in my Jag console area around the cup holder and so forth as I was driving it home the 500 miles from where I bought it. When I got home, I sprayed some Armour All in there and it resolved the problem. I also had some noises coming from the dashboard area and finally figured out that it was where the dashboard met the windshield. I put some felt tabs in there and that solved that problem as well.

Good luck with your fix, I HATE any sort of rattle in any vehicle that I have, and I was EXTREMELY upset on my drive home that I might not be able to find a fix.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:04 AM

Kevin,

Thanks for the tip, I will give that a shot, I think It may actually be an accumulation of armour all and a little nicotine (car was owned by a smoker) I got rid of smell and other issues with a wipe down of blueprint grade ammonia. I may need to swab out crevices and give it a shot of Armour all once it is cleaned up.

As a fellow nit picker, it is frustrating to have a small noise or two but It also is good to have that rise to the occasion of being a problem.

Thanks again,
Steven (1avguy)

Old 08-16-2009, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 215 Posts

Adhesive backed foam strips on inside console cover. WD40 on cup holder. Double sided tape on wood panel backs; defroster vents, dash speaker grills, and dash top air vents. Keep at it; on my car this is a constant maintenance item.

I keep some foam backed padding and double sided tape in the car for on-the-spot fixes.

gordo

Old 08-17-2009, 11:02 PM

Thanks for the help. I tracked it down to a few problems, gook and friction. I cleaned all plastic parts with concentrated ammonia to rid accumulated gook. I then lubed cup holder mechanism and console latch with Armour All but console iteslf still made noise, seemingly from the perimeter whenever I flexed the door by twisting it. I loosened the screws holding the pad to the console cover and dipped a Q-tip in the armour all to wick it in to the crack between the leather and plastic at the perimeter (spraying that crap just makes a mess) and under each screw head the tightened screw back down. I don't like Armour All due to window haze and slippery seats but I have to thank Kevin D. for the idea and K. Westra for letting me know it was not hopeless (as well as others for their suggestions).

We now go down the road with a respectable squeak free console with a few pennies out of pocket in lieu of $300 console.

Regards,
Steven (1avguy)

Old 08-18-2009, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Here is another little tidbit. If you ever have a squeak from leather to leather or leather to plastic contact, rub a little talc between them and it will go away.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:50 PM

Lew,

I like it, that would last a lot longer.

-Steven (1avguy)

Old 04-29-2011, 07:46 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin D
1. You could do some exhaustive research into what sort of plastic that Jaguar uses to make those parts, and then some more research into what sort of chemical/lubricant you might be able to apply that might resolve the issue.

2. You could do the same thing that I did. I noticed some noises in my Jag console area around the cup holder and so forth as I was driving it home the 500 miles from where I bought it. When I got home, I sprayed some Armour All in there and it resolved the problem. I also had some noises coming from the dashboard area and finally figured out that it was where the dashboard met the windshield. I put some felt tabs in there and that solved that problem as well.

Good luck with your fix, I HATE any sort of rattle in any vehicle that I have, and I was EXTREMELY upset on my drive home that I might not be able to find a fix.
Sorry to dig up an old post. I have a very similar issue, every time a hit a bump on the road I hear a loud noise form where dash meets the windshield. So the best way to correct this is to install felt tabs with the sticky side to the windshield? Kinda like a spacer between the two? Thanks.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:00 AM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Well reko, when I looked closely, I could see where the previous owner had put in some sort of material that had disintegrated. I cleaned all of that out and then went looking for something to put in there, and I happened to have some felt tabs that matched the color of the dashboard and were the right thickness, so I put them in there. I asked a couple of people how they thought it looked and they said that they though that it had come from the factory that way. The main thing is that it stopped all of the noise.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,985 Likes on 2,124 Posts

Originally Posted by reko19
Sorry to dig up an old post. I have a very similar issue, every time a hit a bump on the road I hear a loud noise form where dash meets the windshield. So the best way to correct this is to install felt tabs with the sticky side to the windshield? Kinda like a spacer between the two? Thanks.
See https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...irvents-37645/

Old 04-29-2011, 08:25 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

thanks guys, I'll try to pinpoint where the noise originates and then will proceed accordingly