XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

My 'new' garage (for those who like restoration projects and pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,108 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by H20boy
5. Wireless parking sensors (the coolest mod, seriously!) - $40
That's pretty slick. Might be a worthwhile upgrade from the stop sign on a string the wifey is currently using.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Jon,

If you're worried about traction / slickness of the floor there's a trick we use when we do shop floors.

Add a quart ziplock bag of playground sand to a 5 gallon pail of the base coat. You HAVE to mix it with a drill attachment, AND mix every 15-20 mins but it gives the floor a great, and safe texture.

I'll have pics up when we do our shop floor.

Take care,

George

Old 01-15-2013, 10:33 AM
Received 4,285 Likes on 3,704 Posts

nicely done!!

Old 01-15-2013, 10:34 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Thanks Steve, i'm sure I would have procrastinated it longer if it weren't for the XJ addition. With the bathroom in the garage, only one car could fit, and I didn't (or couldn't) pick a favorite to bask in warmth as the other suffered a dismal winter. So, for 1 month, both cars sat outside while I did demolition, repairs and improvements. I slept little and spent long ours at night and every waking moment on the weekends fixing up their lounge.

And in case anyone is wondering, no, I don't let them listen to music while I am at work. I have to draw the line somewhere.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:37 AM
Veteran member

Charlie, I'll record a quick video of this tonight on my way home. So far, after several weeks, it hasn't let me down once, always right on the money! I've programmed it to give me only 2-inches clearance between the door, so I've been watching it close every day since I had it installed, until I have full confidence. The lights only go on when you approach and reach the stopping point. Then it goes off...saving the battery. Even walking in front of it while parked, it doesn't light up. Only when I back up does it return to the yellow or green status. I absolutely love it.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,364 Likes on 2,854 Posts

George,

I'm familiar with the ol' sand-in-the-paint technique. Back in May 2006, we acid-treated our 100-foot by 20-foot concrete pad in the backyard adjacent to the back of the house (it was poured in June 1995 in an effort to keep the six dogs we had at the time from turning that area into a giant mud pit every time it rained). After the acid treatment provided the mottled colors that Jan wanted, we sealed it with three coats of clear finish with the sand added to the mixture. But the surface was still ice-rink dangerous when it rained. Our dogs were busting their asses on wet days for at least a couple of years before that surface finally weathered a bit. After nearly seven years now, you still have to be careful on the pad during or after heavy rains, and especially after a snowfall. I've taken some damned hard falls over the years, primarily when shoveling snow back there....

Jan got the "designer look" she wanted for that pad after being dissatisfied with what she called ugly concrete for more than a decade, but our dogs at the time had to learn to be extra-careful on it to protect themselves....

Last edited by Jon89; 01-15-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

I did all of the work myself, except for the popcorn ceiling patchwork where the bathroom walls were, there is a limit to my average construction skills

Just FYI:

Rick, I hadn't considered converting the toilet to a urinal, probably because I like to do alot of my work on the cars with the garage door open during the day. Neighbors would either frown on that or it would increase the foot traffic from the housewives on my street.
Too late now:

Attached Thumbnails My 'new' garage (for those who like restoration projects and pics)-9c483b6a-a681-4a14-aebe-3f7d3fed716f_300.jpg   My 'new' garage (for those who like restoration projects and pics)-1278.jpg   My 'new' garage (for those who like restoration projects and pics)-1dc65732-0754-42ab-9caf-b1b5703dc225.jpg  
Old 01-15-2013, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member

Charlie, I'll record a quick video of this tonight on my way home. So far, after several weeks, it hasn't let me down once, always right on the money! I've programmed it to give me only 2-inches clearance between the door, so I've been watching it close every day since I had it installed, until I have full confidence. The lights only go on when you approach and reach the stopping point. Then it goes off...saving the battery. Even walking in front of it while parked, it doesn't light up. Only when I back up does it return to the yellow or green status. I absolutely love it.
Matt,

Did I miss something? Where are you hiding the compressor? I see the reel in the ceiling but is that for a droplight or electric cord or air?

Take care,

George

Old 01-15-2013, 01:27 PM
Veteran member

No air system, that's just the drop light george.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member

No air system, that's just the drop light george.
Okay, We NEED to get you a compressor and some air tools. They just make life so easy, and if any garage was worthy of them yours is.

Your garage reminds me of a miniature version of my new shop I'm currently remodeling!

Who says we take up a collection!!!

Take care,

George

Old 01-15-2013, 02:54 PM
Veteran member

Its funny you mention the air system, because not two days ago, my brother-in-law offered me his old, smaller compressor because he wanted a jumbo, upright version. I've managed to get along these last several years w/o air and air tools, i've accumulated a wide selection of hand and a/c powered ones, so I'm not sure if I would appreciate what the air tools would bring, except that extra speed and instant torque I can't get with these two appendages typing this. To date, i've only ruined one project (Gus's hydraulic relief valve) due to not having the advantage of air. I'd also want to run hard air lines to all corners, mount the compressor somewhere permanent, and the thought depresses me...i'm entirely disgusted with any new home projects for awhile.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member

Its funny you mention the air system, because not two days ago, my brother-in-law offered me his old, smaller compressor because he wanted a jumbo, upright version. I've managed to get along these last several years w/o air and air tools, i've accumulated a wide selection of hand and a/c powered ones, so I'm not sure if I would appreciate what the air tools would bring, except that extra speed and instant torque I can't get with these two appendages typing this. To date, i've only ruined one project (Gus's hydraulic relief valve) due to not having the advantage of air. I'd also want to run hard air lines to all corners, mount the compressor somewhere permanent, and the thought depresses me...i'm entirely disgusted with any new home projects for awhile.
I'm about to design to the air system in the new shop. It's really not that bad. And honestly once you have it you'll love it. BUT the biggest mistake everyone makes is too small a compressor. If anything I'd get a little one just to have to to fill tires and use a blow gun etc. But for a permanently plumbed install you need a BIG compressor to do it right....

When you're ready We'll plan it out.

Btw, the grill off your super v8 is probably going to become part of the new office decor.

Take care and congrats again on the new garage!

George

Old 01-16-2013, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Very nice! The only thing that needs to be changed is replacing that TT logo with a nice Nebraska one

Old 01-16-2013, 04:30 PM
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

A seriously nice garage you have there

I'm expecting Tony (XkRacer) to have his done by the time I visit him next !!

All the best

NikasilNik

Old 01-16-2013, 08:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your garage looks great nice job!

Old 01-16-2013, 10:59 PM
Received 151 Likes on 120 Posts

Well done, neighbor! You are an inspiration. I hope to finally get around to redoing my own 2-car garage very much like this over the spring as a DIY. I've got similar cabinets and a workbench, but bare finished walls pockmarked from old shelving (filled) and concrete stained to hell and back with all sorts of fluids (last Porsche).

Old 01-19-2013, 10:02 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I epoxied our garage floor three years ago a week before we moved in to our brand new house. Here are my thought/experiences:

1.) I did a dark blue base color and it is just like a dark car; it shows all the dirt, salt, dust,etc. I would do light gray if I did it again. I did not do the clear but that may help to hide the scratches from floor jacks, wood, tools, etc.

2.) I threw the color chip outs by hand and didn't get even coverage. I never thought about strainer or throwing them up in the air.

3.) I had a three car garage and did it by myself. Once you mix the hardener, you only have so much time so I ended up mixing multiple batches and ended up with areas with different shading. If you have a large area, I would get a bunch of people together, mix everything in. 5 gallon pail and get it done all at once.

4.) Do not apply in direct sunlight. I have an area starting to flake and I remember it was applied in direct sunlight.

5.) I added the anti slip sand but a little lighter than recommended. The attendant at Lowes where I bought the epoxy said if you added what they specified it becomes really hard to sweep the floor. It is still somewhat slick when wet but not too bad; we are just really careful when walking when wet.

6.) The best thing about it is fluid cleanups. Just a little 409 and some paper towels and you are good to go. Brake cleaner does a great job at cleanup and doesn't seem to hurt the floor although I try to wipe it up as soon as possible.

Your garage looks great Matt but I have one question: where's your stuff (lawn mower, snow blower, bikes, garbage cart, recycling cart, etc)? It would be great if my garage was that organized.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:22 PM
Veteran member

Thank you Mike! I keep all of the yard equipment in my shed in the back yard. I also keep my one trash can just inside the side gate. I didn't want to clutter the new area up with too much stuff...though I did keep those recycle bins near the inside door as I add items to them more than a couple times each day. Everything else I tried to stash in the available cabinet space, in fact my golf clubs are in that tall cabinet right next to the water heater!

This floor project taught me much patience and I learned alot of technical characterstics of the epoxy coating systems. Only regret so far...I didn't fill those holes up very well on the floor, shouldve added concrete patch, not sealant.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:39 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

We have a homeowners association and sheds, along with garbage cans outside, are not allowed. Therefore my car shares space with all the stuff I would like to have out in a shed.

I could try to put a shed in but, since I am on the association board, I would probably have to arrest myself. Maybe I can get wife to arrest me - we could get some handcuffs involved and ....

Sorry I got of track. May be once (if) the kids move out I can get rid of some stuff and get the garage more organized.

You have given me something to shoot for.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very Nice work congrats!

Quick Reply: My 'new' garage (for those who like restoration projects and pics)