Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My project...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 05:27 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Pavlik
This the SLM as mounted below the Fusebox on my Car:
Thanks Paul!!! Well, it is official, I don't have one... And the search is on!!

Thanks again!!

Cheers!!

Old 09-10-2012, 08:56 PM

Good day everyone!!

It has been a while... I've been busy working on cars... Other people's cars...

So, I got tired of seeing the cat just sitting there... I had today off and decided it was a good time to dig into the steering rack... This is what I found...

It was pretty easy to get the darn thing out... All things considered compared to other cars... Four bolts that hold it in place here...

Name:  PICT3697.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  91.0 KB

Name:  PICT3699.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  74.3 KB

One bolt that holds both of these in place... Small 10mm...

Name:  PICT3700.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  61.2 KB

Pull both of the rear X-brace bolts... This does two things... Supports the rack until it is ready to pull out and controls the weight when you are ready to remove it from the car...

Name:  PICT3701.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  63.5 KB

Don't forget about the connector and the steering shaft bolt...

Name:  PICT3702.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  61.3 KB

Here it is out...

Name:  PICT3703.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  123.6 KB

This is broken, but I imagine this is for center mark...

Name:  PICT3704.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  67.5 KB

I loosened the 17mm tie rod lock nut and just spun the inner tie rod (which you can't get for this car, even from the dealer) until it came out of the outter tie rod...

Name:  PICT3696.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  107.7 KB

Up in the air, both sides turned outward... Okay, the heart of the issue... Here is the part number tag and casting... I wonder if the casting is for the tube and the plate is the whole assy?! Or this was rebuilt by the dealer and the tag indicates the rebuild...

Name:  PICT3709.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  137.6 KB

This is NOT the issue with this unit!! I found out when I pulled this apart that this bent inner tie rod (did I mention you can't get this?!?!!? UGH!!!) was just a result of an "I don't care about your beautiful car" towing company... There are marks where it looks like it was pulled from somewhere by this tie rod... I could not get this one off until I had totally torn the unit apart... It may have been easier to remove with the unit in the car...

Name:  PICT3706.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  141.6 KB

And the good one...

Name:  PICT3713.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  130.1 KB

And the clean side...

Name:  PICT3707.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  99.8 KB

Name:  PICT3708.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  105.2 KB

And the NOT so clean side... The reason for this failure...

Name:  PICT3705.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  92.7 KB

This comes off as a unit and I left it alone as this looked newish... Notice the arrows (triangles) that indicate fluid flow for the unit...

Name:  PICT3710.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  118.4 KB

These lines go into the newish unit... Make a note of the white restrictors that aren't in the other end...

Name:  PICT3711.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  109.6 KB

These go into the main rack case... 12mm worked great and these weren't crazy tight...

Name:  PICT3712.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  74.6 KB

This was the hardest part of the process!!! It took me about an hour to get this stupid ring to come out of it's home... Oh, this unit looks like it was rebuilt... Water must have gotten into the right boot and rusted the main shaft that ruined the seals...

Name:  PICT3722.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  82.2 KB

Name:  PICT3723.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  132.2 KB

Name:  PICT3725.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  76.2 KB

Name:  PICT3724.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  109.7 KB

Once I got it most of the way out, the ring made it to the top of the opening and it pretty much popped out... After that, this part below popped out of the main tube...

Name:  PICT3727.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  101.4 KB

Name:  PICT3726.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  117.5 KB

And the seals that are leaking...

Name:  PICT3728.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  81.3 KB

Name:  PICT3733.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  121.9 KB

and the reason why... Rust!! I hate rust!!

Name:  PICT3729.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  93.9 KB

I found this rather interesting... Dead center of the splines, they ARE pretty much vertical... But towards the ends, the angle increases... This is how it is, it's not an optical illusion from the camera...

Name:  PICT3732.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  140.2 KB

After I got the main rod out with the outter tie rod still attached, I locked the tie rod in the vice and spun the main rod to remove the tie rod... This was just to see if they had left-handed threads on one side... It didn't... They are both normal threads and thereby interchangeable...

Well, that is all I have for now... I have to get a new (to me) steering rack as this one is beyond rebuild... I'm glad I didn't get the seal kit yet, but it would have been interesting to see how accurate the new seals were...

More to come, but I'm not sure when...

Take care all!!

Cheers everyone!!!

Last edited by bluexk8ragtop; 09-11-2012 at 07:40 PM. Reason: spelling, or the lack of it...
Old 09-10-2012, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  19.3 KB

lovin it ..............keep it comomg blue!

The following users liked this post:
PascalR (05-10-2014)
Old 09-10-2012, 09:17 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,150 Likes on 753 Posts

by the way, my indy shop slightly modified an s-type inner tie rod to work on my rack...they found out by trial and error when they needed one, and an s-type was on the lift at the same time...its been working for a couple years now just fine.

Just FYI, in case you feel like doing the rebuild yourself.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by H20boy
by the way, my indy shop slightly modified an s-type inner tie rod to work on my rack...they found out by trial and error when they needed one, and an s-type was on the lift at the same time...its been working for a couple years now just fine.

Just FYI, in case you feel like doing the rebuild yourself.
Good day!!

Thank you!! This is the reason why these forums are the best!! Where else can you have a collective of enthusiasts that make things work when it normally wouldn't... I will look into the S-type inner tie rod for comparison!! I was going to bend the bent one back in line if this rack was rebuildable... Now I don't have to worry about that, nor do the rest of us in XK8 land!!

Cheers!!

Old 09-22-2012, 09:44 PM

Good day everyone!!

It has been a while since my last post, but I finally got the replacement steering rack delivered and time to install it... I had to use my good inner tie rod and one from the replacement rack... I couldn't get the lock nut loose on the other replacment inner tierod that still had the outer tierod attached to it... I also got the good air intake tube, but it didn't correct my irratic idle at times so I think the VVT units are leaking due to the thinner head gasket... It is terrible so I will leave it be for now...

Now the good (AND BAD) news about the security and lock module... I installed the module, but it has a different part number and probably is out of a 97/98... I have a 99 but it registers when I enter the program process... It only takes three flashes to enter the program... I hit the button on my remote I got with the car and it registers at times, and doesn't others... I took the button pad off and used my knife to register the contact points... This worked, but I couldn't get the module to accept five repeated hits to accept the remote... I did this a number of times and got different results every time... I can lock the car with my key and it chirps and locks both doors... And the reverse on unlock... So, at least I know the module works... I will obtain a new remote and see what happens...

I did a backyard alignment and got it close enough to keep the stability control and traction control failures from coming up, but it isn't perfect... I will get it right at work on Monday...

I had the thick plastic headlight protectors on the car when I got it... I mean to tell you that they worked GREAT!!! They left this awful nasty thick goo on the glass, but once it was cleaned up (THANKS TO MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE), the headlights are perfect and look brand new!!

I got a "HOOD NOT LATCHED" alert and it took me some time to figure that one out... I didn't have the top pistons locked up...

I'm still looking for an oil pan, now a couple remotes, a couple lug bolts and lug nut... I pulled the buggered one out today too... It was crazy getting the rear rotor/drum off...

I wonder if the top switch will put the rear windows down even though I don't have hydraulics in the car?! I will investigate that one next!!

That is all for now everyone!!!

Cheers all!!!

Old 09-23-2012, 06:38 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks Blue,
Having coffee this morning was like old times, sipping coffee and reading your post. I see by the chain saw in one of your pictures you were ready for plan B if it did not come apart.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Clamdigger
Thanks Blue,
Having coffee this morning was like old times, sipping coffee and reading your post. I see by the chain saw in one of your pictures you were ready for plan B if it did not come apart.
Good day!!

I've been trying to do more stuff to the cat for everyone... I've been working so much lately it has just been difficult...

You noticed that did you!? You bet, I was about ready to warm up that saw if things didn't start going the way I wanted!! LOL!!

I'm not sure what I will do next... Any thoughts on improvements!? I might be the minority, but I actually like the other style front end instead of the grill mesh that I have now... I like these (stolen from google images)...

Name:  Jaguar-XK8-white-1997_zpsb6de40d0.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  110.3 KB

Of course mine will be blue...

Cheers everyone!!!

trebor12 (09-23-2012)
Old 09-23-2012, 11:48 AM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

Blue,

I've thoroughly enjoyed this thread and your many posts. Every new post is riveting and like opening a present.

To answer your question about potential improvements, you may want to check out the fourth "sticky" thread in the XK8 / XKR model forum regarding general information posted by Jim. Within this sticky, you can then scroll down and download a copy of the original accessory brochure for XK8's. Maybe there are some accessory's you like -- if you like any, call your local Jag parts dept to see if still available.

I was looking through it and some recommendations for cosmetic enhancements

Less is more - keep it simple:

1) I agree with you on the front grille - I like the original look (not the mesh). I'll bet your Jag parts dept could still order some original parts.

2) Maybe add the windscreen accessory? Not sure if you have one.

3) If you like a little chrome, maybe the chrome mirror cap accessory kit? Not too flashy but subtle.

4) Lastly, maybe a jaguar plate accessory?

Good luck!
Regards

Old 09-23-2012, 02:51 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

Blue, wow, I've only just read this thread, absolutely brilliant, I've just sat here and read it from start to finish, just couldn't stop and learnt so much, a BIG thankyou to you and to all the posts that others have put in to help. I'll make sure to follow any more installments. I did change my front grill to a curved mesh grill, but then didn't like so put the original back (like the one in the photo above) gives it that sort of classic aero jet engine look, anyway thanks once again

Last edited by trebor12; 09-23-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by BrownRobin
Blue,

I've thoroughly enjoyed this thread and your many posts. Every new post is riveting and like opening a present.

To answer your question about potential improvements, you may want to check out the fourth "sticky" thread in the XK8 / XKR model forum regarding general information posted by Jim. Within this sticky, you can then scroll down and download a copy of the original accessory brochure for XK8's. Maybe there are some accessory's you like -- if you like any, call your local Jag parts dept to see if still available.

I was looking through it and some recommendations for cosmetic enhancements

Less is more - keep it simple:

1) I agree with you on the front grille - I like the original look (not the mesh). I'll bet your Jag parts dept could still order some original parts.

2) Maybe add the windscreen accessory? Not sure if you have one.

3) If you like a little chrome, maybe the chrome mirror cap accessory kit? Not too flashy but subtle.

4) Lastly, maybe a jaguar plate accessory?

Good luck!
Regards

That is a great idea!! I'll take requests on what yous guys and gals want me to do first... I'll put a list together and we'll go from there!! Great idea!!! Thanks much!!

Originally Posted by trebor12
Blue, wow, I've only just read this thread, absolutely brilliant, I've just sat here and read it from start to finish, just couldn't stop and learnt so much, a BIG thankyou to you and to all the posts that others have put in to help. I'll make sure to follow any more installments. I did change my front grill to a curved mesh grill, but then didn't like so put the original back (like the one in the photo above) gives it that sort of classic aero jet engine look, anyway thanks once again
You are very welcome!! It is great to hear people are getting something out of this stuff... It is true that I love to do this, so it is a bonus that yous guys and gals are using the info too!! I agree, the original does give it that little something extra!! I just need to find one...

And on another note, I did the alignment check at work today... I was close, but not close enough... I think I will have another go at it... I was 0.20 total toe out (0.24 left and -0.04 right)... While I have seen a car come into the shop with, and this is no exaggeration, two dot four eight (2.48) total toe, the 0.24 on my car isn't close enough... The range is usually between 0.08 and -0.08 for most cars... I'm amazed that car made it there with the wheel bearing still in one piece...

Oh, I don't know if yous all remember, but I don't have any convert hydraulics in my car... The top is totally manual...... EXCEPT the rear quarter windows... I did an experiment today and it worked... I left the top in place, made sure everything was locked (even the pistons that are useless right now) and hit the button... The rear windows went down... AND came back up... SO, no more using the jumper wire!! WHOO HOO!!! I just have to pop the pistons every time, or figure out a way to leave them extended and not get in the way... Heck, that may even work out better... If the car thinks the top is ALWAYS up, even if it is down, the rear windows will work all the time (as long as the latch is locked)... HMMMMMM...... I will investigate that tomorrow...

Cheers for now all!!!

Old 09-24-2012, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Both inner tie rods for $50 here...

2 INNER TIE ROD END Set For JAGUAR XJS 82-96 XK8 97-06 | eBay

Great project...

Take care,

George

Old 09-25-2012, 02:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

Regarding the grille I think you are in the minority, the only reason I say that is I have only been asked once to remove a mesh for a straker but have fitted dozens of mesh grilles... Why don't you offer up a swap, I am sure someone will take you up on it especially if you gree to do the fitting if local.... Failing that I have dozens of overiders and strakers which I have removed and can sell to you for a good price!

Old 09-25-2012, 09:48 AM
Veteran member

I think I have two overriders in the attic that have 1 hole each from a front license plate mount. You are welcome to both as a 'donation' to your project, if you want them. You'll still need a chrome splitter, as I sold mine a couple years ago. Oh yah, I also have about 12 OEM lug nuts left over from my xk8 that were removed and still good. Have you priced those at the dealer? ($20 ea!); let me know how many you need. (donated of course, for the entertainment and education you've provided)

JimC64 (09-26-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by XKRacer
Regarding the grille I think you are in the minority, the only reason I say that is I have only been asked once to remove a mesh for a straker but have fitted dozens of mesh grilles... Why don't you offer up a swap, I am sure someone will take you up on it especially if you gree to do the fitting if local.... Failing that I have dozens of overiders and strakers which I have removed and can sell to you for a good price!

Good day!!

I kind of figured I was in the minority on this one... I mentioned doing a swap early on but didn't get any takers... I still have that 2001 tail light in good condition that is up for grabs or trade for the stuff I need... Do you need a tail light from a 2001?! If I can't find a good set to trade for my mesh, I'll keep you in mind!! How much for your set in good to very good condition?!

Thanks much!!!

I think I have two overriders in the attic that have 1 hole each from a front license plate mount. You are welcome to both as a 'donation' to your project, if you want them. You'll still need a chrome splitter, as I sold mine a couple years ago. Oh yah, I also have about 12 OEM lug nuts left over from my xk8 that were removed and still good. Have you priced those at the dealer? ($20 ea!); let me know how many you need. (donated of course, for the entertainment and education you've provided)
I would be honored to accept any and all donation to the project!! Of course, shipping is on me!! I can do paypal for that if that works... It is odd you mentioned the cost of a lug nut... This is for ONE, not a set of 20... ONE lug nut is $28 and change from my dealer in Lexington, SC... AND the stud is $8 and change... BUT online it is only $1.78... Oh, shipping is a flat $10... Hmmmmm... Does anyone have an old hub laying around with a bad bearing?! I'll buy the bad bearing and all!! I could honestly use five... One that is out and four to replace the locking lug that is a pain to deal with when I have to do work...

Thanks so much for taking the time to donate to the project!!

Cheers!!!

So, I also found out that the gas lid locking tab doesn't come in it's own bag... I have to buy an $83 gas lid to get the new plastic part... I also own a 2001 BMW X5... The parts are just as expensive for that vehicle, but if I need just a plastic plug that goes on the back of the thingymabob that is inside the flux capacitor, THAT plug will have a part number and come in it's own bag!!!! Jaguar might sell more parts if they buy more bags... Hmmmmm, maybe I just made Jaguar a lot of money and they don't know it yet... Whom do I tell?!

I'm still working on that list... Front nose swap will be next as soon as I can get some parts... Or the stud swap if I can aquire one of those... Here is my old one...

Name:  PICT3734.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  39.6 KB

I should have known better too!! I pulled the wheels to change the tires, but didn't spray the lugs first... I guess I got lucky I only lost one lug and stud... Getting the rotor/drum off was a pain too... I'll post that process if yous all want when I get the stud and lug nut...

I do want to get a set of 10" rear speakers to replace the 9.5234098098 inch version Jaguar used... Like the SLM, the light, the spare tire lock, and a few odds, the speakers were removed by the previous owner... I'll post that conversion when I get the speakers...

Well, that is it for now guys and gals!! Here is the short list of stuff I still need for the project... Obvioulsy the stud and lug nuts, the front grill set, the spare locking screw thing, the interior light assy, and the locking clip for the gas lid... OH, and a seat module...

Cheers everyone!!!

Last edited by bluexk8ragtop; 09-26-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:51 PM

Good day everyone!!!

I had to read through my own post to figure out where I put my address... It is on page 7, second entry down... I will have my house in a couple days so use that address if you want to send me any donations... I will promptly send you the shipping cost back to the return address on the box or you can leave me a note in the box on how to get the shipping cost returned to you...

Thanks so much for all your support!! I'm glad you all enjoyed the posts!!

Here is my new address:

129 Dutch Ct.
Lexington, SC 29071

Cheers everyone!!

Old 09-26-2012, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

How much do you want for the grille you have now?

Consider it a donation to your project

Let me know

Thanks,

George

Old 09-27-2012, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by androulakis
How much do you want for the grille you have now?

Consider it a donation to your project

Let me know

Thanks,

George
Good day,

I think I have a "trade" for the grille... We'll see how things go...

Thanks so much for all the donations!!

Cheers!!!

Old 09-29-2012, 03:57 PM
Veteran member

Some goodies coming your way via FedEX Ground!

Old 09-29-2012, 10:35 PM

Some goodies coming your way via FedEX Ground!
Thanks so much!! You are the best!!

Just an update on recent events... I worked on the new house all day!! Yard work is not my speciality!! I had fun playing with the chain saw though... The yard looks so much better, but I don't think I have any grass left in my front yard!! Whooo hoooo, nothing to mow!!

I will update progress on the car as I get the new stuff!!

Thanks again guys and gals!!

Cheers everyone!!

Quick Reply: My project...