XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My project...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 11:56 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,150 Likes on 753 Posts

They didn't even blink when I handed it to them with 'Blue Ragtop' as the recipient.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:44 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by H20boy
They didn't even blink when I handed it to them with 'Blue Ragtop' as the recipient.

Oh my!!! That is too funny!!! I can imagine what the guy was thinking after a minute or two when it finally hit him... "Was that his real name?! Must be some rock star thing!!" WoW!!! Tooooo funny!!!

Real name is William Farmer... Nice to meet you all!!!

Thanks again!!!

Cheers!!!

Old 10-02-2012, 06:54 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Same here Bill

Old 10-02-2012, 02:59 PM
Received 111 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by XKRacer
Regarding the grille I think you are in the minority, the only reason I say that is I have only been asked once to remove a mesh for a straker but have fitted dozens of mesh grilles... Why don't you offer up a swap, I am sure someone will take you up on it especially if you gree to do the fitting if local.... Failing that I have dozens of overiders and strakers which I have removed and can sell to you for a good price!
XKRacer have you ever installed LED DRL's in or on the staker?

There are plenty of kits that would hang under the straker but I am looking for a more integrated look.

regards

Old 10-04-2012, 10:57 AM
Veteran member

129 Dutch Ct.
Lexington, SC 29071
William, FedEX needs you. See my PM please.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:52 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Wow, I just read through all of this today. I was very worried when i saw all the melted components(especially the nox sensors) as there are concerns with the nicosil breaking down on the early year motors when overheated. I am kind of supprised no one mentioned this. It looks like it all worked out though. Awesome job!!!

Old 10-10-2012, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by H20boy
William, FedEX needs you. See my PM please.
Good day!!

I did call them and let them know the house isn't deserted... They told me it would be delivered yesterday, but alas, nothing... I will call them tomorrow as it is my day off (finally!!)...

Thanks again for the donations!!

Cheers!!

Old 10-10-2012, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by XKR Brian
Wow, I just read through all of this today. I was very worried when i saw all the melted components(especially the nox sensors) as there are concerns with the nicosil breaking down on the early year motors when overheated. I am kind of supprised no one mentioned this. It looks like it all worked out though. Awesome job!!!

Good day!!

Thanks so much!! It has been a while since I needed to do anything major to the Jag... This thread has seemed to get very quiet recently... I'm working and preping the house to move in, while trying to fit sleep in there somewhere...

I'm not totally done with the motor as I am still getting a restricted performance from time to time at idle... It goes away after I get moving again, within ohhhhhh 30 seconds or so... I want to do a compression check and leak down on the cylinders... The coolant system is finally good as is the steering system... I still have a slight negative toe on the pass side, but that is first on my list (unless I get wheel studs!)...

Well all, thanks again for the great support in my efforts to bring this Jag back to life... She still needs some more attention... Gas lid catch, interior light... The little detail stuff...

I'll try to check in more often now that moving has slowed a little... Almost done!!!

Cheers for now!!

The following users liked this post:
Clamdigger (10-11-2012)
Old 10-24-2012, 08:53 PM

Good day everyone!!!

I know it has been foooooooooorrrrrrrreeeeeevvvvveeeeeer since I have been on here... I have this bathroom that needs to get done (STILL), I popped the radiator on my BMW last week, and I now need a power window motor and a power steering hose that failed on me on my way to work today... Every time I think I am getting ahead with the Jag, something else major fails... I priced these power window motors... MSRP of $655 and online price of $476... For a WINDOW MOTOR!!!! Does the dealer really sell any of these?! The local parts place has them too...... And for the low low low price of only $273 I can have myself a cheap version of what the dealer has... So, my door panel is in the trunk and I have the internals of the power window motor in the gear drive for the window so I can keep it almost all the way up... I had to close the door from outside the car and crawl thru until I got the motor out... Apparently, the windings of the motor shorted toghether... I don't know!! It just won't spin with 12V applied... The door modules look fine and the relays are working...

Oh, I got the lug nuts H2OBOY!!! Thank you so much!! I should post pictures of these... It is almost understandable why they are $30 each... Mine don't look anything like these!! I have the acorn version holding my wheels on... It never really occured to me that the lug nuts that are on the car MAY NOT ACTUALLY be the originals... I pulled one when I got the donation and discovered I need flat washered lug nuts as the rims have no angle cut for the acorn lug nuts, but the acorn ones are staying put so all is good... Anyway, I blew a power steering hose and had to drive home with no power steering... I hope I didn't burn up my pump!! I'm still getting "restricted performance" when I sit at idle... I really think I have have garbage in the fuel system... Remember way back when, when I had my first gas cap that consisted of plastic and string?! I can only imagine what my fuel filter looks like now that I have put a few tank fulls through the car...

OHHHHHHH, my amp went out too... When it rains it POURS!!! Well, I'm in the middle of a severe thunderstorm here guys and gals!! The radio works and responds, but no sound, and the CD changer won't eject the holder... All fuses look good!!

I can't find the little clip that holds the gas door closed without buying an $83 gas door... And now the window motor and PS hose... I'm just frustrated and venting everyone!! UGH!!! I love this car, but I don't think it loves me...

Cheers for now everyone!!!

Old 10-24-2012, 09:01 PM
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Check out some local junkyards maybe? haha

Old 10-25-2012, 01:08 AM
Veteran member

I hope you still have some of your correct 'washer' style nuts, and not all those acorn conical shaped ones. They'll only damage your wheel, making your holes larger.

sorry for the continued frustration blue, remember the car needs you, otherwise it'd be scrap a long time ago. One issue at a time. The power steering hose should be easy for you, if its low pressure, just repair and clamp it. The $10 fuel filter change is a no-brainer too.

Haven't heard about any main driver or passenger window motor regulators going out, only those little ones for the back glass gives us trouble. I'd definitely go salvage there. Jaguar XK8 Driver's Front Window Regulator 1997 2006 A | eBay

Its $50 MORE for just a salvage motor unit from the regulator on ebay, that's why I linked the entire assembly for you.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:50 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I feel your pain there Bill but it is still nice to hear from you again. Keep your chin up, your Jag is just trying to see how much you love her.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:37 PM

Thanks H2OBOY!! I found out just a few minutes ago that it isn't the motor, but the relay on the door control module... UNFORTUNATELY, all my tools are at work so I can't access the relays for you all to see... I should have gone with my instincts the day I took it apart!! ALWAYS GO WITH YOUR INSTINCTS!!! There is carbon build-up on the contacts of the relay... BUT I was getting a good 12V to the motor... Everywhere I tested, I got 12V... So, the problem has to be in the motor windings, right?! NOOOOO!!!! You need two things to spin a motor; the correct volts and enough amps to spin the darn thing!!! The relay isn't allowing any amps to get to the motor... I ran the motor right from the batt and it spun up quickly...

That is too funny Barry!! Well, I must love her if I am pulling this motor apart without the correct tools... Some allen wrenches will fit in torx screws... UGH!!!

Here is the motor and all it's parts... Oh, and another thing to add to the growing list; Hood strut that finally gave up on me!!! Hmmmmmmmmmmm!!

Good hood strut...

Name:  DSC_0022.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  79.5 KB

Bad hood strut...

Name:  DSC_0021.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  87.8 KB

All the internals of the motor... This connects up to the drive gear for the window lifter mechanism...

Name:  DSC_0002.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  36.8 KB

There is a gasket that has a notch it sits in... That is the notch in the center of the picture...

Name:  DSC_0018.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  69.1 KB

This is the assy together... (OH, for the record; I HATE THE NEW PHOTOBUCKET!!!)

Name:  DSC_0017.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  64.3 KB

Allen wrench to allow room to get the gear assy out of the door... Loosen these two black screws a good bit... There are two more up higher that you don't need to loosen that much... Just enough to push the lifter away from the door to allow room for the gears to ease out... You'll see if you have to do this...

Name:  DSC_0015.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  74.9 KB

This is the alignment screw for the motor... There are two more holding this in place... Same allen wrench for these three... If you remove the speaker, you can remove this motor without taking the door completely apart... I wish I had read this before I took the door completely apart the first time I did this... It would've been so helpful... UGH!!

Name:  DSC_0016.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  80.0 KB

This is the door module... three 8mm nuts hold is in place... There is a wire tree holding the wires to the inside of the door that must be popped thru in order to get this out... the wires are pretty hefty...

Name:  DSC_0006.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  79.2 KB

Remove the black felt/foam thing...

Name:  DSC_0008.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  64.0 KB

Spin everything counter-clock wise down to here (drivers side)...

Name:  DSC_0010.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  89.4 KB

Then pull the wires out first, then the module...

Name:  DSC_0011.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  93.7 KB

Okay, the module is protected (sealed) with RTV from the factory... It is a bear to get into without destroying the cover... Take your time and you will be able to get in there... I manage to keep all tabs in place... The cover will state where the connectors go when you put it back together... Or just remember to keep the two mounting screws away from the connectors and you are good...

Name:  DSC_0012.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  57.0 KB

Name:  DSC_0013.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  117.4 KB

You have to take these out in order to get the board out and reveal the two relays... I don't have the torx 8 here to get these out... I'm gonna warn you all now that you have to pop the top of the relays (break) in order to see the internals of them... You will see when I get the board out...

Name:  DSC_0014.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  69.8 KB

Okay, do your coolant hoses do this when cold?!

Name:  DSC_0020.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  86.5 KB

Name:  DSC_0019.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  83.1 KB

I let air in the system and topped it off... We'll see if it happens again...

Ummmmmmm, that is all I have for now... I think I have a high pressure side leak for the power steering... UGH!!!

Cheers everyone!!!

Last edited by bluexk8ragtop; 10-26-2012 at 07:07 AM. Reason: forgot a picture...
Old 10-25-2012, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

Your thermostat is stuck shut!

Old 10-26-2012, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by XKRacer
Your thermostat is stuck shut!
It started doing this right after I did the engine rebuild and put the new thermostat housing in place... It doesn't come close to overheating... I watch the temp needle religiously... I THINK it's doing this because the motor was pretty much at operating temp when I put the cap on and haven't messed with it since... No warning lights; so don't mess with what's not broken... If this isn't normal for Jags, then I must just have negative pressure when cold and nearly neutral pressue when hot...

Thanks!!!

I'll get the pic of the relays posted today after work...

Cheers everyone!!!

Old 10-26-2012, 09:53 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the same (collapsed hoses) on my '99, replaced thermostat and flimsy hoses with no change. Replaced cap and all is well.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,985 Likes on 2,124 Posts

Originally Posted by bluexk8ragtop
It doesn't come close to overheating... I watch the temp needle religiously...
Blue, don't forget that the temperature gauge is a boldface liar! https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e-gauge-62813/

Old 10-26-2012, 11:56 AM
Received 159 Likes on 113 Posts

Typical of a radiator cap negative pressure vent valve stuck. As coolant heats it expands, pressure builds in the cooling system, and the radiator cap vents excess pressure to maintain its predetermind set pressure.

When the system cools there must be a way to let air back in to replace that vented or a vacuum will occure in the system, hence the negative vent valve. If it sticks closed the result is what you have, a vacuum in the system sucking all your coolant hoses flat.

I'm not too familiar wit the Jag radiator cap, so I don't know where the valve is. Normaly it looks like a little

Old 10-26-2012, 12:03 PM
Received 159 Likes on 113 Posts

Sorry, it posted before I was ready!
I was going to say I do not know where that little valve is in the Jag, normally it part of the radiator cap, but as it's a Jag...

I admire what you have done in your posts, very informative and interesting.
Regards,
White Bear

Old 10-26-2012, 12:11 PM
Veteran member

If its collapsing with a little vacuum, it'll likely bust under pressure even easier. New hose, sir. it should rebound, and you can squeeze it when engine is cold and push water through the t-stat (cuz its open)

Quick Reply: My project...