Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My project...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 04:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

I knew what I meant..... but your right LOL

The gasket is thinner, this increases the ratio..... Serves me right for not reading what I say

Old 08-03-2012, 04:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 761 Posts

Would be typical typos for me as well bytheway ;-)

Old 08-03-2012, 07:05 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by XKRacer
As a little tip, I have always fitted 4.2 head gaskets as apposed to the 4.0, the 4.2 are metal and are far less prone to failing like the composite 4.0, it reduces the compression ratio very slightly which is not a bad thing on a 8

Originally Posted by avos
Ehum, you mean increase the compression ratio of course, and my best guess for a SC would be about 0.3 points and for a NA about 0.45 if you go for the 4.2 gaskets, but please note these are best guesses.

But I fully agree that the thinner MLS gaskets from the 4.2 engine must be MUCH better, as the head gasket failure rate is extremely low compared to the 4.0 cars with these thicker composite ones.
Absolutely... I was looking to fit the 3.9L Lincoln gasket as it is closer to the correct size, but I guess it is the same either way... I found the 3.9L set on Amazon for $177 and change... What is the cost of the 4.2L head set with the MLS version? I can only find Fel-Pro permatorque gaskets...

Additionally, has anyone found the part number for ARP head bolt set? I think that wouldn't be a bad idea either...

Thanks much!!!

Cheers!!

Last edited by bluexk8ragtop; 08-03-2012 at 07:13 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 761 Posts

Stock bolts are good enough (thats what I still use), you can get them cheap from a Land Rover dealer.

Stock 4.2 gaskets can be had reltivly cheap fomr Jaguar as well, but you could also get Cometic ones, here are the parno (order them also like this):
1xC4376 0.030" 87mm
1xC4377 0.030" 87mm

Old 08-04-2012, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by avos
Stock bolts are good enough (thats what I still use), you can get them cheap from a Land Rover dealer.

Stock 4.2 gaskets can be had reltivly cheap fomr Jaguar as well, but you could also get Cometic ones, here are the parno (order them also like this):
1xC4376 0.030" 87mm
1xC4377 0.030" 87mm

Thanks a lot!! I order a 3.9L right side head gasket, the 4.2L Jag both sides, and obviously I already have both of the 4.0L Jag for the huge comparison when they come in...

Cheers!!

Old 08-04-2012, 08:05 PM

Good day everyone!!

I didn't get much done today except for cleaning and putting together sub-assemblies... Those darn VVT units are insane to get together!! I really don't know how they adjust with just oil pressure... I'm guessing it has something more to do with the spinning than just oil pressure... I made marks on the outter hub of the VVT to show how much range it has, but I left the camera out at the car... I'll post those pics tomorrow... I'm beat... I did make my valve spring compressor... It worked, kinda!! I have to modify the other tappet to assist in getting the keeper back on... Oh, if you haven't seen these keepers yet, don't think they are like the normal ones you see on Ford or Chevy motors... You'll see what I mean when I post the pics tomorrow... These things are tiny!!

Okay, so I got the valve seat back where it needs to be and tapped it in place with the valve... I looked over the valve and it does have an ever so slight bend in it... This is just sitting flush against the valve seat... NO SPRING... So, I'm wondering if I should run with this valve and have confidence the spring will pull it tight, or just spend the extra funds to get the new one... Thoughts?!

Another thing... The primary tensioners look perfectly fine... Is there a reason to swap out the primaries on this motor? Obviously, I am going to have new rails and new secondaries... The guy at the Jag dealer said he didn't think the primary tensioners were "updated" like the secondaries... Did I just miss the memo on swapping out the primaries or just leave them be?

Anyone have an old scrap cylinder head they don't mind sending me some stuff from before junking it? I need two cam caps, four cam cap bolts, and four tappets... Oh, and a good intake valve or two if you have them out... Since I am making my list, I also need a good secondary chain... Just sayin.......

Well, it is time for bed...

Cheers everyone!!!

Last edited by bluexk8ragtop; 08-04-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:49 PM

Good day all!!

Well, here are the pictures I promised... Sorry so late! Had to make a little detour to the doctors office after Church...

Here are the keepers I told you about... there is only one ridge holding these in where the 4.6L Ford motors have three... I put the primary tensioner in there to use as a size reference...

Name:  PICT3388.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  118.0 KB

Name:  PICT3389.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  96.5 KB

Here is the broken valve cover bolt piece I finally got out of the cylinder head...

Name:  PICT3390.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  97.0 KB

My work bench... Nope, not in a garage, but under good cover...

Name:  PICT3394.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  128.8 KB

I didn't know this at first, but these are numbered... They were so dirty, I didn't see the numbers... AND you can't get them mixed up... Numbered front to rear; top to bottom... < or > will point towards the front of the car...

Name:  PICT3397.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  160.2 KB

And finally, the timing marks I made for the VVT units... It looks like about 2 and a half teeth...

Name:  PICT3398.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  91.2 KB

Name:  PICT3399.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  75.1 KB

Well, that is it tonight... I have all the gaskets ordered... I hope the gasket set includes the VVT and carrier scarf cut O-rings... I will also be getting the updated coolant housings and all four tensioners (answered my own question above)...

I'm looking at about $958 and change on top of the original price so far... I haven't paid for the water pump, new rails and tensioners, or new intake valves... I'm having so much fun, I don't know if I'm coming or going... I just wish it wasn't so dirty!! I'm wasting toooo much time cleaning every little part...

Cheers everyone!!!

Old 08-07-2012, 07:52 AM

Good day everyone!!

Yesterday was cleaning day... I put my 16 year old son to work cleaning all the junk out of the cylinder heads... I pulled the pass side and I had the same issue with the rear most intake seat as the drivers side... I did the slow task of pulling all 32 valves and accounting for all 64 keepers... The only thing I get to do now is detailed cleaning and waiting on parts... UPS can't get here fast enough!! More pictures as it goes back together...

Cheers!!!

Last edited by bluexk8ragtop; 08-07-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,798 Likes on 2,236 Posts

A couple of days ago you mentioned that you tapped the valve seat in using the valve. Is that going to hold when the head heats up and expands?
RJ___________________
97 XK8 85K mi

Old 08-07-2012, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by RJ237
A couple of days ago you mentioned that you tapped the valve seat in using the valve. Is that going to hold when the head heats up and expands?
RJ___________________
97 XK8 85K mi

I honestly don't know, but it did take some effort to get them to seat all the way... Is there a fix for these valve seat coming out? Are the new heads from the dealer updated to keep this from happening? I'm willing to take my chances on this one to get the car running... If I can get replacement cylinder heads quick enough, I might consider that...

Cheers!!

Old 08-07-2012, 02:18 PM

Good day all!!

Well, I got the head gasket set from Parts Geek today... Not bad!! 48 hours!! HOWEVER, it is only a good thing if you get to use all the items in the package... I don't know if I should even bother trying to get a refund due to the simple fact I wasn't going to use the head gaskets anyway or get a partial refund for what I paid for... What are your thoughts?

Here are the gaskets still sealed in the clear package...

Name:  PICT3401.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  124.8 KB

Name:  PICT3402.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  97.4 KB

Name:  PICT3404.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  73.8 KB

I doubt anyone would want to use a broken head gasket...

But, here are the cylinder heads all cleaned up...

Name:  PICT3405.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  140.2 KB

Name:  PICT3406.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  131.8 KB

Now the fun part of waiting for the rest of the parts to come in... 4.2L head gaskets, 3.9L head gasket, tensioners, chains, water pump, power steering pump, shifter assy, engine cover, and misc hardware... The scarf cut VVT assy seals weren't in the kit...

Cheers!!!

Old 08-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,798 Likes on 2,236 Posts

As to the valve seats, WhiteXKR or one of the other pros would know more than I, but my experience in the past was that the head had to be fly cut and a slightly oversize seat heat shrunk in. I think the head was heated while the seat was cooled in a freezer and then set in place. I have done this with flywheel ring gears but nothing as high tech as a valve seat.
RJ_________________
97 XK8 85K mi

Old 08-08-2012, 06:28 PM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

How come the 4.2 litre gaskets fit on the 4.0?
I would have thought the bore diameter to be wider on the 4.2.
Is the difference in displacement due to deeper bores instead of bigger diameter, or does it not matter if the gasket is a bit wider than the bore?

I like the idea of the 4.2l gaskets increasing the compression ratio a tad, and also being less prone to failing.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  19.3 KB

keep it coming blue

Old 08-08-2012, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts

What a great thread. These are the most comprehensive pics of an AJ 26/27 engine I have seen. Most of our cars have not gotten to the point of needing an overhaul like this.

Keep up the good work. You are my idol. Now I want to look for a beater SC coupe. ;-)

Old 08-08-2012, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadhogg
How come the 4.2 litre gaskets fit on the 4.0?
I would have thought the bore diameter to be wider on the 4.2.
Is the difference in displacement due to deeper bores instead of bigger diameter, or does it not matter if the gasket is a bit wider than the bore?
The former, 4.2s have the same bore with a slightly longer stroke.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:44 PM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks ccfulton, if i end up taking my head off i'll go for the 4.2 gaskets.

In practical terms i can't see the higher compression it gives making any noticable difference, since the 4.2 has them as standard instead of the composites, and an extra 200cc, and only gives another 4hp, but it would be worth it just knowing they'd be less likely to fail.

Also nice to know as a result of this thread that the standard head bolts are up to the job.

Shame i couldn't find that Gunk carb cleaner bluexk uses in the UK, because that looks like good stuff too.
It's done wonders for his engine parts.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:44 PM

Good day everyone!!

I had to take today off from working on the project... I have to find a place to live, eventually... I got the 4.2L gaskets in just before heading out this evening, so I will be posting the comparo on the gaskets first thing... I have to pick up some stuff at the Ford dealership, then I will be back to start the reassembly... I don't have an answer from Parts Geek about the damaged gaskets in shipping... They want me to send back the entire kit so they can send me a new one... I think I will be taking a hit on that loss, not that I had planned on using the gaskets anyway... It is the principle though...

OH, I still need help on where to find the VVT unit scarf cut sealing rings... I looked on the Jag parts site, but I can't find them... Will Ford have them?! Maybe I will google that after I finish this post...

I have an odd thought that maybe someone can help me with... Why didn't they use harden washer between the head and the bolt?! I think the torque factor would be far more uniformed... At least as uniformed as you can get with a torque plus a 90 deg turn... I torqued a BMW I-4 down with the dual 90 deg method (like the book says) and noted the variations between actual readings was almost 20 ft/lbs... I have thought about getting the Fel-Pro bolts with washers, just because they have washers...

I thought I saw an aluminium cross over pipe from the heads to the top radiator hose... But now I can't find it... I found the metal thermostat housing, but I will get that a little later on... I may have to dump some more cash into the trans issue...

Okay all!!! I'll catch you all up tomorrow...

Cheers!!!

Old 08-09-2012, 12:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 764 Posts

Are the head bolts in these motors the torque to yield type?

I know that the modular Fords are that way and I think the rule for those is that you can reuse the bolts one time only, although it would be best to replace them after being tightened once since the yield part is actually stretching the bolt.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

They are "stretch" bolts, but can be re-used just the once, I have done many times without issue

Quick Reply: My project...