XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My wife scores the trifecta. . .

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts
Default My wife scores the trifecta. . .

She has truly been biting her tongue since I brought the car in several days ago for the dealer to address a failed pump/motor for the convertible top. Days would go by with little or no progress or information except for the fact the the dealer is having a hard time finding this part.

So finally on the fourth day of this, my wife finally asked if it was now time for her to say "I told you so". She followed that up by "you had to have a convertible, huh?" quickly punctuated by "and it had to be a Jaguar?"

Bingo--she scores three in a row.

Doug

Old 07-24-2010, 02:49 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Take her to the track, she's on a roll.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:24 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Aw Doug, I think that's a little harsh, but take it anyway. It'll make her feel better. Its not like something major, nor common for that matter. I don't think you deserve the grief however. How long since you bought the car...and this is the first major 'inconvenience'?

Old 07-24-2010, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member

We actually both just laughed about it as she loves the way the car looks. I did explain that basic mechanicals on the car have been no problem and it really has been about 2 years with no service except for the convertible top. Hoses have already been replaced and I will be getting a replacement motor/pump so that should just about do it for a good number of years.

The main thing is that the couple of experiences so far with the dealer where they needed the car for days is bringing back memories of the BMW we owned. I don't think there was ever a time where I got the car back from that dealer in a timely manner and/or without them breaking something else.

Doug

Old 07-24-2010, 09:28 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

ok, thats much better, more sarcasm than anger...that's more like it.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  19.3 KB

Nice bit of humour there Doug....good that you can laugh about it too.
Hope it gets fixed real quick n real cheap so you can carry on laughing about it

Old 07-24-2010, 11:58 PM
Veteran Member

All in good fun! As some of you know from my earliest pre-Jag ownership posts the main thing is that I am a "car person" and my wife is not so much. She has a much stronger practical streak than me. So she was never that enthusiastic about my getting a used are, let alone a Jaguar, as well as it being a convertible to boot. Women just love pointing out to their less sensible other halves when they are right.

Doug

Old 07-25-2010, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

Don't think I have ever heard of a pump failure other a physical failure like my PO did. He physically pulled the connector off one of the solenoids trying to remove the wire connector.

What did the tech say was wrong with the pump? Heard of pumps being replaced due to the manual valve being opened a bit.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member

You know, I do not really think they determined the precise problem but, rather, since there was nothing else that they could find they concluded it must be the pump motor (by process of elimination). I asked the service rep if they this was unusual or if they had needed to replace the assembly in other cars and he said it happens sometimes. They have either just replaced the pump or sent it out for repair. If they do the latter, then the shop doing the repair will likely be able to pinpoint the precise problem. All anyone knows now is that with the pump plugged in, fuse #14 will blow if the top up/down toggle is activated. When I disconnected the black and white wires to the pump motor, the fuse did not blow. Hence, the circuit itself is presumed to be okay but there is probably some short at the pump motor.

Doug

Old 07-25-2010, 01:04 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
She has truly been biting her tongue since I brought the car in several days ago for the dealer to address a failed pump/motor for the convertible top. Days would go by with little or no progress or information except for the fact the the dealer is having a hard time finding this part.

So finally on the fourth day of this, my wife finally asked if it was now time for her to say "I told you so". She followed that up by "you had to have a convertible, huh?" quickly punctuated by "and it had to be a Jaguar?"

Bingo--she scores three in a row.

Doug
I said that to my wife when her 93 xj-s was in the shop for the 4th time. However, she is a keeper and I supported her and her car. Now I am unable to say a thing because I am on my second Jag. O Well life is short, why not enjoy it!

Old 07-25-2010, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Gus
I said that to my wife when her 93 xj-s was in the shop for the 4th time. However, she is a keeper and I supported her and her car. Now I am unable to say a thing because I am on my second Jag. O Well life is short, why not enjoy it!
The "life being short" part has always been my basic philosophy. Also, I am only a few miles each way from work and, over the last almost 20 years my yearly mileage has been in the 4,000 to 6,000 range. When I sold my 1995 Corvette at the beginning of 2009, it only had about 80,000 miles. So I had argued that I did not need a "workhorse" type of car, and hers is already a 4-door sedan (2000 Acura which she wants to replace maybe this year).

And, really, the only annoyances in these first 2 years of Jaguar ownership have been related to the convertible top and those problems should end up getting entirely resolved soon.

Finally, I will almost certainly be getting a mechanical breakdown warranty through her credit union so any future big stuff should be covered. I have used that company a couple of times for past cars and I was basically satisfied and the cost is pretty reasonable.

Doug