XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Mysteries in my trunk!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 08:35 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Mysteries in my trunk!

In cleaning the trunk in my new-to-me 1999 XK8 convertible I came across a few questions I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on for me.

The first two photos show a 2-pin connector that I found that is not connected to anything. It is located near the battery but does not have much slack in the line and I cannot find anything nearby that it would connect to.

Next is one single wire in rubber/plastic sleeve, also ends near the battery and seems to have a broken bit of a crimp on connector still on the end of the wire. The wire looks like it is original to the car and I'm not aware of any aftermarket parts on the car.

Anybody recognize these?

Attached Thumbnails Mysteries in my trunk!-img_1215.jpg   Mysteries in my trunk!-img_1216.jpg   Mysteries in my trunk!-img_1217.jpg  
Old 06-24-2013, 08:39 PM

Next I found this broken plastic bit with a rubber bumper/stopper looking thing.

Anybody recognize this?

I looked around the trunk but couldn't see where it came from so I'm wondering if perhaps it isn't from another part of the car and just got put in the trunk by the prior owner?

Old 06-24-2013, 08:59 PM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocky125
In cleaning the trunk in my new-to-me 1999 XK8 convertible I came across a few questions I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on for me.

The first two photos show a 2-pin connector that I found that is not connected to anything. It is located near the battery but does not have much slack in the line and I cannot find anything nearby that it would connect to.

Next is one single wire in rubber/plastic sleeve, also ends near the battery and seems to have a broken bit of a crimp on connector still on the end of the wire. The wire looks like it is original to the car and I'm not aware of any aftermarket parts on the car.

Anybody recognize these?
This has been asked before and there are at least two answers regarding the 2-pin connector. It is connected to the battery BTW.

1) It was used to keep the battery alive during shipment from the manufacturer. A trickle charger was attached.

2) It is used to keep a rechargable torch (flashlight) topped up. The torch was a dealer option.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:12 PM

Oops, looks like my photos of the black piece were too big so here is another attempt!

Attached Thumbnails Mysteries in my trunk!-18small.jpg   Mysteries in my trunk!-19small.jpg  
Old 06-24-2013, 09:25 PM

Thanks beg3yrs great to know!

1 mystery down, 2 to go!

Old 06-24-2013, 10:06 PM
Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts

Oops, looks like my photos of the black piece were too big so here is another attempt!
It looks like the black part came from the engine bay (old valve cover) but, you're engine bay looked great. Might be an old broken piece. BTW the round black thing is your spare tire!!

Old 06-24-2013, 11:37 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Not sure what it started off as, but, at this point, that's junk in the trunk.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:53 AM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveC
It looks like the black part came from the engine bay (old valve cover) but, you're engine bay looked great. Might be an old broken piece. BTW the round black thing is your spare tire!!

I agree, looks like part of the Engine Cover.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:30 AM
GGG
Received 16,861 Likes on 12,186 Posts

+1 to part of the engine cover.

It looks like the section circled in red:

Mysteries in my trunk!-broken.jpg

To add some detail to the two pin connector. This is for the Transit Relay which is removed and discarded by the dealer during PDI:

Mysteries in my trunk!-transit-relay.jpg

The lead should be tucked behind the trim and never seen again except by inquisitive owners!

Graham

Old 06-25-2013, 09:07 PM

Dave, billm & GGG - I think you guys called it! I was presuming it was from something in the trunk area but I'll bet a broken engine cover some how ended up in there!

GGG -I think after remving the transit relay, the tech doing the PDI should be directed to put a label on the connector explaining why it is there, for us inquisitive owners! Oh well, even if Jaguar tries to confuse us with this, at least the Forum can come to my rescue so that I can relax and get a good night sleep!

Okay, thanks to everyone for thier help so far - looks liek we are at two down and one to go! Anybody have any ideas on my last "mystery wire?" It sure looks awfully tidy to be some aftermarket installation...

Old 06-26-2013, 09:55 AM
GGG
Received 16,861 Likes on 12,186 Posts

............... looks liek we are at two down and one to go! Anybody have any ideas on my last "mystery wire?" It sure looks awfully tidy to be some aftermarket installation...
The cable is Pink with a Yellow trace which is KY in Lucas colour coding.

The only lead I can find in the schematics for the Luggage Compartment with that colour is also involved with the Transit Isolation Device (arrowed in red - click on the image to enlarge it):

Mysteries in my trunk!-main-power.jpg

Probably another one which should have been concealed behind the trim during PDI.

Graham

Old 06-26-2013, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts
Lightbulb

Now if you want something actually useful back there ...look for the 3 conductor connector beside the battery. It provides optional accessory power. Black is ground, brown/green is battery and white/red is ignition switched power.

You need to add the missing relay in the trunk fusebox to activate the ignition switched power.

There is also an identical connector behind the glovebox on the same circuit for front accessory power.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 06-26-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:23 PM

Looks like Graham solved the remaining mystery – it is definitely a pink wire with a yellow trace. Apparently the tech broke the connector off from this one rather than just unplugging it from the TID.

WhiteXKR – very cool info to know! I don’t foresee needing an accessory socket in the trunk but another one in the cabin might be handy. I’ll have to look for these. But who knows what mysteries I'll find under the dash!

Okay, as a reward for everyone’s help I’m offering up free batteries*!

*If anyone has any use for up to four Maxell CR2032 batteries, PM me your address and I’ll drop ‘em in the mail to you!

I mistakenly ordered the CR2032 for my key fob remote based on a defective online search while at work only to get home and realize my remote uses two CR2016 batteries. It looks like it is the newer style remotes (with the folding key) that use the CR 2032.