XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

NAPA saved my bacon

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 11:35 AM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Ya Ya vell if dis isn't yust a Smörgåsbord uv von liners...

Now don't get saucy with me Bear'naise...

dovremmo tenere rompere le uova a tutti su questo?

Please don't forget the waiters and waitresses on your way out.....

Old 12-27-2011, 03:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys crack me up.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:44 PM
Default KevinD

"And, guys from up North, you can't order just one grit to see if you like them."

How do you like your Grits,,, regular creamy or al dente'

Joe Pesci My Cousin Vinny and the grit bit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...Psck0p3Mo&NR=1

Last edited by Count_Damonee; 12-27-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:34 PM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin D
If you could work some hash browns or grits into here somehow, we'd have a buffet~

And, guys from up North, you can't order just one grit to see if you like them.

Arrrrgh! You probably like okra in your omelets, too.

We can still juice this up a bit until the joe is hot.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

C'mon guys now you are just taking the biscuit

Old 12-28-2011, 03:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

And no biscuits don't come with gravy!!!

Thats just wrong

Old 12-28-2011, 01:51 PM

And, not the biscuits that are out in the pasture.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:10 PM

"And, not the biscuits that are out in the pasture."

Those are Mushrooms... Now your talking Salads... Maybe a Western Omelette.

And those Mushroooms will let you see the World in a different light,,, Or Colour...

Old 01-08-2012, 03:03 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Trying to glean something useful from this thread, but the info here is all scrambled! Apparently y'all are just over easy answers.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:21 PM
GGG
Received 16,865 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin D
If you could work some hash browns or grits into here somehow, we'd have a buffet~

And, guys from up North, you can't order just one grit to see if you like them.
This is just getting too eggsaggerated.

Will someone please explain what "grits" are for someone up North and a very long way East?

Old 01-08-2012, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
This is just getting too eggsaggerated.

Will someone please explain what "grits" are for someone up North and a very long way East?
My granddaughter fixed herself a bowl of grits this morning. They are somewhat like Cream of Wheat...only "grittier". Made from white hominy, actually. If you spread 'em on a piece of paper they'd look like 60 grit sand.

For some folks, they are eggcellent.

The following users liked this post:
GGG (01-08-2012)
Old 01-08-2012, 05:34 PM

"Will someone please explain what "grits" are for someone up North and a very long way East?"

Grits are a food of American Indian origin common in the Southern United States and mainly eaten at breakfast. They consist of coarsely ground corn, or sometimes alkali-treated corn (hominy). They are also sometimes called sofkee or sofkey from the Muskogee (Creek) language word.[1][2] Grits are similar to other thick maize-based porridges from around the world, such as polenta, or the thinner farina.
Grits are usually prepared by adding one part grits to two-to-three parts boiling water, sometimes seasoned with salt or sugar. They are usually cooked for 15–20 minutes or until the water is absorbed and the grits become a porridge-like consistency. As grits expand when they are cooked, they need to be stirred periodically to prevent sticking and forming lumps. They may be served with grated cheese, butter, sausage or country ham red-eye gravy. Grits have also been known to be served with fish such as fried catfish or salmon croquettes.
Grits can also be fried in a pan or molded to create a firm block; the resulting block can be cut with a knife or wire, and the slices fried in a fat such as vegetable oil, butter, or bacon grease.
The word "grits" derives from the Old English word "grytt," meaning coarse meal.[3] This word originally referred to wheat and other porridges now known as groats in parts of the U.K., maize being unknown in Europe in the Middle Ages. The word "grits" is one of the few words that may properly be used as either singular or plural in writing or speech and can be used with a singular or plural verb.[4][5]

Obviously our thoughts are Scrambled our minds are Fried,, this thread is Toast,,, Please stick a fork in it,,, it is DONE... I need my TUMS

Old 01-08-2012, 05:56 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by Count_Damonee
"Will someone please explain what "grits" are for someone up North and a very long way East?"

Grits are a food of American Indian origin common in the Southern United States and mainly eaten at breakfast. They consist of coarsely ground corn, or sometimes alkali-treated corn (hominy). They are also sometimes called sofkee or sofkey from the Muskogee (Creek) language word.[1][2] Grits are similar to other thick maize-based porridges from around the world, such as polenta, or the thinner farina.
Grits are usually prepared by adding one part grits to two-to-three parts boiling water, sometimes seasoned with salt or sugar. They are usually cooked for 15–20 minutes or until the water is absorbed and the grits become a porridge-like consistency. As grits expand when they are cooked, they need to be stirred periodically to prevent sticking and forming lumps. They may be served with grated cheese, butter, sausage or country ham red-eye gravy. Grits have also been known to be served with fish such as fried catfish or salmon croquettes.
Grits can also be fried in a pan or molded to create a firm block; the resulting block can be cut with a knife or wire, and the slices fried in a fat such as vegetable oil, butter, or bacon grease.
The word "grits" derives from the Old English word "grytt," meaning coarse meal.[3] This word originally referred to wheat and other porridges now known as groats in parts of the U.K., maize being unknown in Europe in the Middle Ages. The word "grits" is one of the few words that may properly be used as either singular or plural in writing or speech and can be used with a singular or plural verb.[4][5]

Obviously our thoughts are Scrambled our minds are Fried,, this thread is Toast,,, Please stick a fork in it,,, it is DONE... I need my TUMS
Count,

I was tempted until I got to the part about the "red-eye gravy". I'm not even going to think about what that could be

Old 01-08-2012, 06:08 PM

"I was tempted until I got to the part about the "red-eye gravy". I'm not even going to think about what that could be "

Red-eye gravy is a thin sauce often seen in the cuisine of the Southern United States and associated with the country ham of that region. Other names for this sauce include poor man's gravy, bird-eye gravy, bottom sop and red ham gravy. The gravy is made from the drippings of pan-fried country ham, bacon, or other pork, typically mixed with black coffee. The same drippings, when mixed with flour, make the flavoring for Sawmill gravy. Red-eye gravy is often served over ham, cornbread, grits, or biscuits.
A common practice is to dip the inner sides of a split biscuit into the gravy in order to add flavor and keep the biscuit from being too dry when a piece of country ham is added between the two halves: the Southern "ham biscuit" (although the Appalachian ham biscuit is simply a biscuit with country ham). Another popular way to serve red-eye gravy, especially in parts of Alabama, is with mustard or ketchup mixed in with the gravy. Biscuits are then dipped in the gravy (often termed "sopped" in Southern English).
In Louisiana, Cajun-style gravy is often made with a roast beef instead of ham. Black coffee is always used, and it is frequently a strongly brewed chicory coffee. The gravy is ladled over the meat on a bed of rice, staining the rice a dark brown color. Often, French bread and some kind of beans are also served as a side, like butter beans (lima beans) or peas.
The Mississippi variation uses red wine in the place of coffee.

Coffee Rubbed Goose, Hi Mountain Elk Sausage and Red Eye Gravy - YouTube

Old 01-08-2012, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 278 Likes on 171 Posts

Grits would gag a maggot.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:12 AM
Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

My wife says you've just got to put butter, salt and pepper in grits to give them flavor. Some put sugar in grits.

I'm as Southern as it gets, and I've never had a grit in my life.

Much of the rest of the world eats something that's close. The Italians call it polenta.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:18 AM
GGG

Count,

That's a scary video.

Opening shot of grinning man with high powered rifle telling me he knows just how his day is going to start - I do too and I'm pleased it's in a different country.

And that breakfast cook. He had everything in the frying pan but the dog.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:26 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by EZDriver
Grits would gag a maggot.
EZDriver,

"gag a maggot"

I'm filing that phrase away for use the next time some oily waiter glides across to enquire how I'm enjoying my meal.

Last edited by GGG; 01-09-2012 at 07:29 AM.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:13 AM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

3G;

A good waiter would have already asked you if you wanted a 'side of grits' with your saved bacon.

Count Chef Boyardee's grits are infinitely better than that great English "breakfast treat" Marmite.

'Gag a maggot' is exactly how the ISMW described having just tasted her first bite of a 'Marmite' sammie to the delight of my English Uncle in Farnham that had just tricked her into trying it.

For those of you on the other side wondering what 'Marmite' or the even worse Aussie 'Vegemite' sandwich spread is imagine this:

You have just burned the worst thing you can think of in a pan to a crisp and have scrapped it off the bottom of the pan and served it to your guests on toast with a smile saying "It's an acquired taste" with an arched eyebrow implying that they will never be sophisticated (sic) enough to appreciate it.

It is for that reason that we have "Grits Mules" sneaking it across borders in their luggage for us instead of the industrial waste sold in Marmite Jars.

cheers,

jj

Last edited by jamjax; 01-09-2012 at 07:21 AM.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:30 AM

"Count Chef Boyardee's grits are infinitely better than that great English "breakfast treat" Marmite"

JJ I love to cook,,, simmer my sauce (marinara) for almost 2 days... Everything Fresh... MMMmmm

Funny Story: We were fishing the Hatteras/Bertram Shoot-Out in the Abaco's and had caught over 50 dolphin, 27 wahoo and 3 dozen triple tails,,, The first night we pull in ,,,I cook for everyone... Made Conch Fritters from the conch I got from my buddy Jungle,,, Pheasant from what we had shot in SD... Lobster Tails (I am so sick of lobster BLAH) Stone Crabs and the FISH WE CAUGHT... The cow Dolphins had ROE and I boiled it up flavored it (slow boil sof to infuse flavor)

Presentation is everything to me SO when I was preparing the plates I had Steamed Rice shaped with a Martini Glass,,, 2 placed in the Center,,,(think about it) topped with a cut olive... Pheasant Breast flanking the rice with Blackened Dolphin,,, Lobster and the Stone Crabs and Dolphin Roe were circling the outer edge of the plate... I took the roe still in the casing(like a sausage) sliced it long ways down the middle and laid it open.... They LOVED IT,,, I had so much I was making Lobster Conch Omelttes with the Roe...For breakfast...

Caught 3 Diamond back Rattlers down here and smoked one Bar-B-Q'd the other 2 they were good... But thats another Story

Last edited by Count_Damonee; 01-09-2012 at 08:33 AM.

Quick Reply: NAPA saved my bacon