XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

NAV goes cuckoo

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts
Default NAV goes cuckoo

The NAV system generally works fine and my location on the map while driving has always been spot-on. Today I entered a destination (I was generally familiar with the location but just wanted to make sure) and, when starting out, the destination showed up in the right spot and the directions were also okay. However, about 2 miles from the destination I was suddenly instructed to turn in a direction I knew to be incorrect. I glanced at the map and my present location showed up about 3 miles away from where I actually was. I kept the NAV on but ignored it and drove to the destination thinking that the map would eventually update and correct itself. It never did. When I arrived at the destination it showed my location as still being about 3 miles away. I turned off the car. When I got in later and turned the NAV on and hit Enter, it asked if I wanted to proceed to the destination (THE ONE I WAS ALREADY AT). I hit cancel and watched the map as I drove. Eventually, the NAV showed my location correctly as I was driving.

Was I just caught in some sort of Bermuda Triangle or does this sort of thing happen often?

Doug

Old 04-17-2009, 01:40 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Hey doug, if it ever happens again, go to your sat signal page in the menu and make sure you have at least three sat locks. Perhaps it was maintenance time on several of your key satellites that caused you to be lost for awhile. This even happens on my garmin, though infrequently.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:18 PM
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts

Doug,

I have this issues quite frequently. However, it is not reproduceable. So it's been on 5 work orders without them ever able to find a problem. Mine will not only be in the wrong location but the map on the screen will spin in circles. It seems to happy more often with the top down.

I do notice that when the location is wrong, that the satellite symbol in the top left corner of the screen is greyed out. I have never been able to pull over and stop when this happens to check the INFO screen to see the satellite count.

However, my occurrences always happen in big wide open spaces, and usually occur after I have entered an address an it has started mapping properly.

Galpin has no clue what the problem is, they believe the system is working perfectly.

Dave B

Old 04-17-2009, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by o2manyfish
Doug,

I have this issues quite frequently. However, it is not reproduceable. So it's been on 5 work orders without them ever able to find a problem. Mine will not only be in the wrong location but the map on the screen will spin in circles. It seems to happy more often with the top down.

I do notice that when the location is wrong, that the satellite symbol in the top left corner of the screen is greyed out. I have never been able to pull over and stop when this happens to check the INFO screen to see the satellite count.

However, my occurrences always happen in big wide open spaces, and usually occur after I have entered an address an it has started mapping properly.

Galpin has no clue what the problem is, they believe the system is working perfectly.

Dave B
I recall your posts on this issue. Since you are familiar with the Valley, I was heading north on Tampa heading to Parthenia. I was about near Saticoy when things went crazy. There were no significant changes in geography or infrastructure such as power lines to interfere with signals so it is a mystery as to what happened.

H2Oboy--I did not realize there was a satellite signal page on the menu but I will take a look.

Doug