XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navy Son Stranded! XK8 Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 12:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Navy Son Stranded! XK8 Won't Start

I need some help. My son is at OCS in Newport where his 2000 XK8 has been forced to be stored outside for 10 weeks. He's graduating, gone out to jump it, and though it cranks fine when jumped it won't turn over. Sounds to him like not getting fuel. He has very limited time today and tomorrow and the only ability to get to him is by relaying a text. Since it was sitting, it couldn't have been flooded, at least initially. He may have flooded it trying to start it. But let it sit for 10 minutes and still no luck. He then let it sit again and tried the ignition key aux position to just load the rail. No luck.

Old 11-04-2017, 01:12 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

A no start situation could be a number of things. See if this link helps

Link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Old 11-04-2017, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,504 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Hard to help with 2 degrees of separation, but he can try and crank it with the gas pedal all the way to the floor. That usually cuts off the injectors, and allow the pumping action to vent the excess gas. Have him smell the exhaust to fuel.

There should be a Shrader valve on the fuel rail. With precaution, he can push the center pin to verify pressure.

Have him check the inertia switch in the driver side door jamb.

Best of luck. Keep us posted.

Old 11-04-2017, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,319 Likes on 1,004 Posts

After sitting for 10 weeks he most likely has bore wash. Do like fmertz said and hold the pedal all the way onto the floor. While holding it down crank the engine for 5 seconds, stop and still hold pedal on the floor and crank again for 5 seconds. Now crank again and slowly release the pedal from the floor position and it should start just fine.
The cranking with the pedal on the floor will shut off fuel and clear cylinders, the second cranking will help get oil on the cylinder walls and the third crank should fire it up.

Old 11-04-2017, 01:49 PM

Comms are quite limited where is-- long story, but when you're at basic you get out for a couple of hours and that's it. We're going to try all these things soonest i can get him

This could turn out to be a real problem-- he's going to have 6 days to get to the West Coast, so there isn't a lot of time if we have to get a mechanic. Anyone have any references in Newport RI.

Old 11-04-2017, 01:51 PM

hate to be stupid but not having the car here in front of me, where is the inertia switch on the driver's side door?

Old 11-04-2017, 02:01 PM

Couple more questions:

1. This is a new key, but we have had problems in the past with turning and old key and no click at all. Hence new key. But, reading the link about exciter ring, is it possible somehow we have a no-start there because battery's been so drained? If so, what then?
2. Related. The battery wasn't completely drained, but turned over the starter slowly. So then he jumped it, cranks fine, but no start. Do you think he needs to keep the jumper cables on from the donor car longer before trying to start it? (I know he has the cables on correctly, in order to get longer power to the electronics. I know jumping isn't optimum, but there is no choice in his situation. The donor was running, so don't think we've caused a stray voltage problem)

Old 11-04-2017, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member

When the door is open, it reveals a fuse box on the side of the dash, behind a plastic cover. Jaguar calls it the fascia. The inertia switch is in there with the fuses. It is meant to trip in an accident and shut off fuel delivery. It's been known to trip on occasion.

Old 11-04-2017, 02:10 PM

In resetting the inertia switch, should he have the jumper cables on or off?

Old 11-04-2017, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member

As this car has a lot of electronics, you MUST start with a known good battery. Cranking creates a heavy electrical load, and a weak battery will drop the voltage and prevent the electronics from properly operating. They will not have a clean start.

Has this new key ever worked? This car has the earlier system, but still requires a properly paired transponder in the key itself (this is to prevent simple electrical hot wiring). Try with the old key.

Old 11-04-2017, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

I suggest he disconnect the negative battery cable in the Jag., then use the donor to charge the Jag. battery for at least 30 minutes with jumper cables from the donor car.

Then disconnect the jumpers. and reconnect the neg. battery cable. This will then give the electronics a reset with the proper voltage. If this was all caused by the low battery, this should resolve it (provided the battery is not end of life).

NOTE: (DO NOT try to shortcut this method and jump the Jag without the battery. it will almost certainly damage the car.).

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 11-04-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,801 Likes on 2,236 Posts

Even if he gets it running the battery may be in poor condition now. To avoid more trouble on his trip I think he should replace the battery.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:08 PM

Well, this is a dilemma made exceedingly difficult by being in Navy basic. Today was the first time he was allowed out in the past 10 weeks. Getting off the base to get a new battery simply isn't possible, and getting AAA or tow truck on the base to bring one looks pretty dim as well. This morning, which is what started the thread, he did jump it without success. The new key has in fact worked since we got it. I haven't been able to reach him now because he's back inside, but maybe tomorrow.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:12 PM

Do I understand from all of you in sum, that unable to get a new battery, he should 1) attempt to charge the old one (which was new when he left) from a donor by taking off the ground; 2) put the car in neutral; 3) old the pedal all the way onto the floor. While holding it down crank the engine for 5 seconds, stop and still hold pedal on the floor and crank again for 5 seconds. Now crank again and slowly release the pedal from the floor position and 4) failing that, reset the intertia switch and try it all again?

Old 11-04-2017, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Well the inertia switch is either open or closed. Do that 1st. If it is open (aka tripped) there will be no fuel delivered to engine.

Removing the battery cables isolates the Connor car from the jags sensitive components which do not like voltage spikes.

Let us know how he does.

John

Old 11-05-2017, 10:16 AM

No luck. Reset the inertia switch. Did the drill with holding down the pedal twice and releasing. Put it in neutral. Plenty of crank. Can smell fuel. but will not catch. doesn't seem to be a battery problem.

Old 11-05-2017, 11:24 AM
Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

MSlosscher have you called these folks? Jaguar Virginia Beach | New & Used Cars Virginia Beach, VA

I am sure they can come and get the car and fix it! Your statement that getting a tow truck on base is "doubtful" strikes me as odd. While I understand he can not go off base it is not like the ICBMs are stored in NN. Not trying to be anything but helpful but if in fact you do not think you can get a flat bed suggest you push the car to the Officers club and park it in the space reserved for "any admiral" --when it is towed--and it will be leave a note asking them to tow it to the dealer.

Old 11-05-2017, 11:43 AM
Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Or on a more constructive note not only for his car but his career he should ask his chain of command how this is handled--surely this is not the first no start car on base in history.

Old 11-05-2017, 12:31 PM

George, unfortunately, the situation at Newport RI is unique for officer candidates-- i'm a retired Navy officer as well, and the whole thing is driving me stark raving crazy. Normally on a base, no problem and of course there is a SOP normally on a base for jumping a car and even towing one. But at OCS everything is purposely made difficult. While the tow truck can get on base, he can't get out of the building except for one day a week on Saturday for a couple of hours. Since it won't start with these procedures, all that can be done is try to try to find a Jag mechanic in Newport (RI), get someone to give him an exception long enough to meet a AAA tow truck and get it towed there. I'm in Virginia, so once the car is off the base i can work with the repair place if there is one-- no place shows up on a google.

Old 11-05-2017, 12:38 PM

STILL NEED HELP! Anybody got a next-step troubleshoot? Given that the battery cranks well, the inertia switch has been reset, transmission has been put in neutral, back in park, pedal-down procedure followed twice with a smell of fuel, ample time given between tries to let the possibility of flooded engine be resolved, car drove up fine-- what would a jag mechanic look for next? There has to be a logic here.

Only thing that hasn't been done is to actually disconnect the battery and replace it. Next shot we have at an ability to get AAA out will bring a new battery.

Failing a start then, we'll have to tow it somewhere-- what would they do next? There's no actual Jag mechanic in town-- there's a BMW shop, but if you haven't seen these cars it's pretty easy to guess and charge me a fortune for the various guesses.