XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice on Engine Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 12:51 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Exclamation Need Advice on Engine Replacement

Its been more than a little while guys, but some of you may remember my post ARRRRRG !!! It Happened... back in Aug 2014.

Well loooong story short, I have had several things happen, incl an injury at work, that kept me from getting around to putting that car back on the road until very recently. I followed the advice of several members here (THANKS GUYS) and got the timing guides (complete), H2O pump, Thermostat tower, etc changed... ready to fire her up.....
Well lets say that changing the timing parts went well, but it seems that the real problem (or at least another part of it) was the loss of the oil pump. The idiot light on the dash did not go off, but there is essentially no oil pressure and now the bearings and connections at the various cams, crank etc.. all let out a scream when the engine was started.(shut down immediately)
Now taking it to a mechanic with some Jag experience, he has gone through it and tells me that Engine replacement is where I am at.

Sorry, guess I still made this a little long

So I am looking for an engine... Looked at several listed online and I am seeing listings that keep mentioning the 8th digit is... bla bla
I will be putting the engine into my 2000 XK8 conv.
What engines can I use for this purpose?
Does any 2000ish 4.0 work? Can I use a Turbo (XKR 4.2) engine?
You know .. Etc....etc....

Any tips and or Advice Would Be Greatly Appreciated at this point gentlemen.
AND if any of you just happen to have a spare engine
I just really want my car back !!

Old 08-25-2016, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

That's the same color combo I have, I feel your pain.
Any naturally aspirated AJ27 motor will do (late 99-02) You cannot put a supercharged engine in. Techically you *could* but it would cost you more in time and money than buying one....

Recommend changing out the timing components and hoses on the swap motor since the engine is already out and it is easy. XJ8 motors will work as well from the years above and they are starting to really come online since the XJ8 is worth more parted than whole for the time being.

Old 08-25-2016, 04:27 PM

Thanks Dsnyder586

Didn't think the XKR motor was reasonably doable, but it was worth the thought.
May have a line on a motor for her .... we'll see if it works out.

You actually have a Titanium Pearl????
You would be the first I've heard of on here besides mine... LOVE this color

Old 08-26-2016, 02:59 PM

OK, Another Question
Hope this gets read not starting a new thread ...

This may be a really stupid question, but does it matter which Drive side an engine comes from when replacing the motor?
In other words ... will a RHD engine work in a LHD car or does it even matter?

My concern is in the bolting up of the externals such as the power steering ....

Old 08-27-2016, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member

There are soooooo many US spec cars with engine you can find I doubt you will run across a RH drive one.

And yes, it is LGL and AGD codes. I liked the color ok when I first got it, but now it has really grown on me. Also, people freak out and tell me how beautiful it is and how they love the color.

The following users liked this post:
NiceCat (08-27-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 11:41 PM

Actually I had already found an engine from a RHD vehicle, but it was going to take too long to get and install so I ended up just buying another XK8(wrecked) to use as a donor vehicle. The good news there is that it will be a much shorter turn around and there will be a pile of "extra" parts that I can clean up and put on the shelves for future use.

I liked the color(being a fan of Blue anyway) right off, but the longer I had it and the more I drove it the more and more I loved it!

That Garage list of yours is impressive ... All those cars in one household.... I'm very jealous

Old 08-28-2016, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks! I just added another...but the black coupe is leaving so 1 for 1 I think I am done for now as far as collecting- everyone is pretty happy with their cars and I think I am good with a "summer" convertible and a "winter" coupe.

My thoughts on parts- If you sell them off and bank the money you will make enough on the parts you need and the parts you will never use to buy better quality parts. (or new) This eliminates the need for storage as well. I *literally* got to the point where there was nowhere else to store anything so I had to start to make tough choices.

Old 08-28-2016, 02:21 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts

OK a couple things, you might think about doing the LT1 swap you'll end up with an engine that is far easier to work and get parts for not to mention it is comparatively cheap to get more power out of an LS1. Jaguar Specialties has the kit and your car is old enough to use it. (Though call them first). I believe there is a thread on someone putting an XKR engine in an XK8 but that actually is harder. And I know at least one person put an XKR supercharger on an XK8 but that was no picnic either. Fun reads if you can find the thread. But, were it me, I'd go the LS1 route as you'd end up with a car that would last far longer and be far cheaper to maintain. Just a thought. (And the swap, from those that have done it, is relatively easy). Unfortunately my car is too new or I'd have done it by now.

The following users liked this post:
NiceCat (09-02-2016)