XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Need advice looking at buying a 1999 XK8

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by scottatl
I have the exact same car. Year and color. I love the color! It has not been a simple car to own but it sure looks good.
Care to share a few issues?

Old 03-30-2014, 11:22 PM
Received 142 Likes on 79 Posts

I have some of the regular issues, i repaired most of them. I got 2 I cannot seem to lick. one is a high battery drain and the other is the rear window drops when I hit a bump. I had a lot of head gasket issues and some suspension issues. All the same I still love the car. If I was going to do it over again I would get one with a 4.2L and that had all the problems worked out. But I love this color. Save some headaches and get the newer model. FL is a good state to look in, a bunch of old people that like the car, dont drive much and the car sells in an estate auction after the inevitable end.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:25 AM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I just thought I would give a little perspective as a dealer. I don't think this car is overpriced, as long as it checks out perfectly. I hear all the time, "oh that car isn't worth that much." Well, how many XK8's with 18,000 miles are out there? Sure, the car will have issues, but they all do or will.

I think you will be able to bargain the price down a little, but honestly, in 5 years you'll be glad you bought it. There are very few really nice XK8's out there, and the people who tell you it isn't worth it because they managed to get a killer deal on one aren't being realistic. And I didn't see any posts from anyone who has bought a low mileage car like this one.

I recently ( like 2 weeks ago) saw an XK8 with 45,000 miles (I think it was a 2000, but I don't remember) sell at a dealer auction in Orange County CA for $12,600. It wasn't perfect. This was a wholesale auction open only to dealers. How much do you think that dealer will sell the car for? Tell me again that the one with 18,000 miles isn't worth it.

The cupholder won't cost $300. You can get a reconditioned center console with cupholder for $200. If you have mechanical skill, these cars are easy to work on. Try working on my Audi Quattro sometime. You'll wish you were working on a jag.

I think you should have the car inspected, and if it checks out, negotiate the best deal you can.

Sorry to go on about this, but I want to add a little perspective. I just recently started this dealership, as I have been doing something else for the last 25 years. Back in the day, I dealt exclusively in XK's (120,140, 150) and XKE's. I got to the point of not dealing with US buyers because of this prevalent thinking that you should only buy a car if you can turn around and sell it for a profit. That is true if you are a dealer, but not if you are an enthusiast who loves the car. The XKR that I just sold on ebay was offered locally and to some members of this forum for less than it ended up selling for. I just don't get it. If getting it for the cheapest possible price is that important to you, maybe you can't afford one of these cars, and you should buy a Toyota.

Sorry to be so blunt, but it really irks me when people pile on with comments about how a car isn't worth the money. I didn't see anyone offer you a comparable car for less.

I think you should buy the car you want. Everything else will fall into place.

Last edited by Best Cars; 03-31-2014 at 01:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Philurusso (04-24-2014)
Old 03-31-2014, 07:32 AM
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

I used to be in the car business so I hear you. I faced people who would get miffed when they find out the dealer is - perish the thought - making money on the transaction! Egad! But I don't think people here are begrudging dealers in general when they suggest there are other cars nearly as nice for less money as the one the OP is checking out.

If that car you saw at auction is an early year model as the one we're discussing, it sounds like he overpaid. Here is an examplle of a 1999 XK8 convertible with 35k miles for $13,9 at retail: Cars for Sale: 1999 Jaguar XK8 Convertible in CLEVELAND, OH 44130: Convertible Details - 367822238 - AutoTrader.com Wholesale I'm guessing the dealer got it for about $8,500 (not that it matters, it's still a good deal).

Fact is, anybody buying an earlier XK8 with the 5HP24 transmission stands a good chance of spending $5-$7k to replace it, eventually. Don't think this reality hasn't worked its way into the retail price, it certainly has. Even the XKRs with the Mercedes transmissions don't go for that much more, but they do hold up much better. And as others have mentioned, low miles are definitely a huge plus, but even if kept in a hermetically sealed room, modern cars like these with sensitive electronics and dozens of tiny plastic fittings and other parts are constantly aging whether or not any miles are put on the engine.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:10 AM
Received 139 Likes on 117 Posts

This car is local to me - about 25 miles away. I do know that Autohaus deal in high end stuff although I have no personal experience of them. It's probably been a condo car - hence the low mileage but, as others have said, it's still a 15 year old motor car so stuff goes out on time as well as mileage. I know three indies in the area who could inspect for you(although I would guess one of them already knows the car). Personally I don't think the price is hugely out - knowing dealers around here there is always wriggle room. PM me if you want the names of the indies.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member

Well, thanks to all for their input both good and bad. I've decide to wait another year before making a purchase, as nice as this very low mileage Jag is I think a newer model would be a better choice so save, save , save...

Old 03-31-2014, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

I think that's a good move - if you can afford a 4.2, you're getting a better engine & gearbox (ZF 6-speed). Good luck with the saving & the searching; we're here if you have more questions.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:11 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default XK* reliability

Bought a 99 XK8 in 2002, absolutely love it. Very few problems but of course I don't drive it high mileage. Replaced a convertible top hydraulic cylinder, Pirelli tires last 13,000 miles. Good luck.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:23 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Knock on wood...Have a 97 coupe coronado blue with 20' inch Detroit wheels....187,500 miles on it....Warm her up every day by default before driving and To echo previous Posts - more you drive a pre-2003 xk8 the better.......It seems that driving an old xk8 keeps her young....Babying her makes her feel atrophy and she will respond in kind.....Drive her daily just warm her up in the morning - Let you take a shower in the morning let the car warm up so as to wash itself.......

Old 04-21-2014, 05:55 AM
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Best Cars
I just thought I would give a little perspective as a dealer. I don't think this car is overpriced, as long as it checks out perfectly. I hear all the time, "oh that car isn't worth that much." Well, how many XK8's with 18,000 miles are out there? Sure, the car will have issues, but they all do or will.

I think you will be able to bargain the price down a little, but honestly, in 5 years you'll be glad you bought it. There are very few really nice XK8's out there, and the people who tell you it isn't worth it because they managed to get a killer deal on one aren't being realistic. And I didn't see any posts from anyone who has bought a low mileage car like this one.

I recently ( like 2 weeks ago) saw an XK8 with 45,000 miles (I think it was a 2000, but I don't remember) sell at a dealer auction in Orange County CA for $12,600. It wasn't perfect. This was a wholesale auction open only to dealers. How much do you think that dealer will sell the car for? Tell me again that the one with 18,000 miles isn't worth it.

The cupholder won't cost $300. You can get a reconditioned center console with cupholder for $200. If you have mechanical skill, these cars are easy to work on. Try working on my Audi Quattro sometime. You'll wish you were working on a jag.

I think you should have the car inspected, and if it checks out, negotiate the best deal you can.

Sorry to go on about this, but I want to add a little perspective. I just recently started this dealership, as I have been doing something else for the last 25 years. Back in the day, I dealt exclusively in XK's (120,140, 150) and XKE's. I got to the point of not dealing with US buyers because of this prevalent thinking that you should only buy a car if you can turn around and sell it for a profit. That is true if you are a dealer, but not if you are an enthusiast who loves the car. The XKR that I just sold on ebay was offered locally and to some members of this forum for less than it ended up selling for. I just don't get it. If getting it for the cheapest possible price is that important to you, maybe you can't afford one of these cars, and you should buy a Toyota.

Sorry to be so blunt, but it really irks me when people pile on with comments about how a car isn't worth the money. I didn't see anyone offer you a comparable car for less.

I think you should buy the car you want. Everything else will fall into place.

My tale. Year 2000 XKR BRG Couple 18,000 miles, found March 2012. Oodles of pics and some fun follow up commentary by various members here.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...so-fast-70772/

My context. Fell in love with the car when it appeared in the mags around 1996. For a year or so prior to March 2012 I'd toyed with finding a nice example.

When this one popped up, literally 2 miles from the highway on a drive I was doing anyway from Baltimore back to NY, I had to visit. Bought it on the spot.

$20k. Even with that, even with the low miles, I have had done probably $5k of work via Jag dealerships. Tensioners. A seal issue by the rear differential (hope I'm getting the terms straight), new tires, new battery, a damaged protector tray of some sort at the front end (apparently parking spot curb/blcokers can be a problem with the long nose).

Recognizing that asking price is not the same as selling price, I had seen numerous XKR's 80,000 mile + asking $15-21k at the time.

Could I have waited another two years to try to find the car in my chosen color and trim, with low miles, for a couple (or more than a couple) thousand dollars cheaper? Maybe. In fact, I don't recall seeing such since buying the car, as I still peruse the listings for fun. And, there is that "diminishing returns" thing. Would it have been worth it to me to do without this amazing car for two, three, four years in order to save $4k? How long to wait? How much is a year of ownership pleasure worth?

I'm not at all hands-on with car work. Repairs do hurt the wallet. So it goes.

Some have told me that $20k for an 18,000 mile XKR Coupe in BRG actually was a good price. Others disagree. My observation is that asking prices on Autotrader and on ebay have drifted up a bit the last two years.

Bargains can happen, and clearly having the car checked for problems before purchase is important.

But, low miles and clean condition are gifts. My car still had the leather and (i swear) a new car smell to it when I bought it. I wonder if prior owner had opened its doors more than a few times per year.

I bought what had been a $80k car in as-new condition with fewer than 20,000 miles on it for $20k. Should I feel bad that I (only maybe) could have hunted two more years and saved $5k? Have I even seen a sub-20k mile BRG X100 Coupe for sale since then? Answer in both cases is no.

Go into the purchase eyes open. Get at least the Tensionsers done no matter what. But, if you buy the car and two weeks later see the same thing for $5k less? Don't worry bout it.

Besides my "real life" existence as a hospital physician, I run a hobby collectibles business on the side and buy and sell (on both sides) $30-100k per year in collectibles. I get the point about hunting stock at a good price. But, when buying a car like this if this is a dream car, something one might hope to enjoy for 20-40 years (I'm just 49. I hope to still have this car when I am 80), don't sweat the small change. That be muh 4¢ on the subject.

regards

david

Last edited by david i; 04-21-2014 at 06:01 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:50 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Couldn't agree more David I. I took my time (roughly a year) searching and researching to find the right "fit". I thought I would end up buying a XK8 but by my patience and luck got put in touch with the owner of a 2001 XKR with 26K on it. Had the vehicle put through the dealer with the know issues that I had read about. After only driving the car for a week I no longer feel the need to "look back". It was fortunate that I found this vehicle privately owned (especially in Maine) with an owner that wanted the car to go to a good home versus trying to get the most $. I paid under $14k. We have all seen the huge differences in pricing.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:37 PM
Veteran Member

Just to update the car I was looking at sold before I could make an offer but I have now found an 03 with 86K on the OD and full and perfect service records, it's also in CA which is better for me shipping wise. So while I did not wait on purpose in the end it has worked out.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member

"Good things come to he who waits"

Enjoy!

Old 04-23-2014, 07:21 AM
Received 201 Likes on 92 Posts

I'd be a bit concerned that the seller didn't open the hood, the trunk, turn on the lights, turn signals, the passenger door or put the top down. I'd never buy from a video reference, too many things can be bypassed for the sale. Rust, coolant leaks, engine leaks, convertible top tears, rust holes, low tire tread, what does the brake pedal do when applied-do the brakes pulse, need pumping or simply go 1/4 inch from the floor? How does the coolant look? Is there water in the oil? I didn't see the seller pull out the dipstick. Too many things to ignore, and well over priced.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member

I have to say: you guys in the US who buy cars based solely on photos are braver than me. While I am prepared to make a a commitment and even pay a small deposit based on info supplied and photos, I always make the deal and deposit contingent on my personal inspection & test drive. If the car is not as described or has undisclosed issues, deal's off, and I get my money back. If the seller doesn't like that idea, I'm off in a cloud of dust...

But I guess I only had to take a 1-hour train ride to buy mine, rather than a long expensive flight.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:26 PM

Please tell if I am wrong... But there is a delta involved via if to buy now or lesser chance to buy later a nice xk8 coupe for example...A conundrum of sorts because longer a person waits (the equal chance a buyer of that xk8 you skipped on) less they are available!!!!

So very odd....a non exotic. XK8 Not even close to accomplished Automobiles of top tier McLaren or 348, but to be sure with a great middle class price point (Giving regular people the chance to feel as good because as rare...Period their xk8) for a smart person to purchase a smart car ------Which will provide an Added Value hard to explain....

Call me off.
Phil

Old 04-24-2014, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member

I want whatever Philurusso is smoking...

The following 2 users liked this post by Jandreu:
Jag#4 (04-24-2014), Philurusso (04-25-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 07:03 AM
Received 201 Likes on 92 Posts
Default I agree with Jandreu

I had to read that post three times and I STILL don't know what the heck that guy is trying to say...

The following users liked this post:
Philurusso (04-25-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 04:27 PM

HAHAHAHA......Gents.....The xk8 is getting more rare daily.....So more you wait or think another is going to come by - Wrong! You can pass on Benz 500 because a better one at a better price around the corner...............Not the case with the classic xk8 - so more you wait (delta) the more rare your opportunity to purchase one...............

Smoking a Swisher Sweet Cigar..
Phil

Old 04-25-2014, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member

Weeeellll... still plenty of XK8s in this part of the world. I would imagine there are thousands in the US, although some of them will be in a poor state.

Quick Reply: Need advice looking at buying a 1999 XK8