XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Need current upper shock mount supplier and whether new shock or just lower mount

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 09:22 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need current upper shock mount supplier and whether new shock or just lower mount

I've got a new-to-me '00 XK8 that has the nasty, high-pitched squeak from the front end. I'm pretty sure it's the shock absorber 'rod' rubbing against the body because the upper shock mount is shot and doing little to keep it centered in the well. I want to replace the upper mounts and hopefully solve that problem. I'm not, however, finding anyone outside a Jag dealer that has the OEM front upper shock mounts...suggestions?

The front lower shock mounts are shot too. I've read a lot of threads here about OEM rubber vs. polyurethane. My question on that is, since OEM lower shock mounts are about the same price as a new Bilstein shocks, would I be better off replacing the entire shock or going to the trouble of replacing just the lower shock mounts (and I don't have the special press for that)? If the thought is to go ahead and do the shock, is it likely to have poly mounts or rubber? Thanks for any insight you can offer!

Old 10-26-2011, 10:33 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Try "black dog" they have a poly urethane one, but they are still a little pricey

Old 10-26-2011, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts
Old 10-26-2011, 01:44 PM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

apex;

I think you mean the shock bushings. The lower shock mount is a 3 piece assembly that does have a "soft" part in it where the spring rests, but those don't seem to get replaced very often. You didn't mention your mileage, but if both upper mounts and lower bushings are shot you should probably plan on just replacing the shocks anyway. Mine at 115K felt just fine but after getting them out (to replace the same worn components you have been experienceing) I found that the shocks do not extend back equally or very well.

I think Jagbits is offereng the rebuild kit that Sam tried (but didn't think it was worth the effort) for about $170, but their OE part is about $220. I've seen the OE part for around $175 at other sources like AutoPartsWarehouse. The problem might be actually getting them.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:51 AM

Thanks guys!

Well, the mount at the top won't keep the shock generally centered and allows the shock rod to rub against the body "hole" the shock runs up through (I've verified this by putting blue painter's tape around the upper portion of the rod and then observed how it gets cut after driving a bit). So, based on Sam's rebuild comments (it's not worth it), I'm definitely replacing them vs. rebuilding them (and thanks for finding them at Jagbits!).

The lower bushings are indeed what I meant (sorry about that). I'm just wondering if new Bilstein's have rubber mounts or poly, since the lower bushings come embedded in the new shocks?

My car has 47K miles on it, by the way...can't believe I left out that detail.

Yeah - I checked AutoPartsWarehouse, and they only have rear mounts.

Sam - I have watched your upper mount replacement video several times. Do you think a similar spring compressor to the one you used would allow me to attach it so that I can actually replace the shock too, or am I going to need to find the Jag compressor? Also, where are you in NC?

Again - many thanks for the advice!

Old 10-27-2011, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member

I'm guessing you're over in Apex. I'm in Clayton, which is only 30 minutes away. If you want help just let me know. You can drive over and we'll change them out in my garage. I have all sorts of nifty air tools we can use.

The spring compressor I used would work for replacing the shock. I didn't try to remove my spring from the shock, but it looks like the spring would just slide right off of the shock after the upper mount is removed. You could probably just keep the spring compressed and then slide it right back on to the new shock.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member

By the way... we have another member in Apex. Vance580 lives there, too.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:08 AM

Apex;

If you place the spring compressor within the coils like Sam did you will be able to get the shocks out. I made the "mistake" of clamping the lower end onto the bottom of the lower shock mount....which would have been fine if I didn't want or need to replace the shock itself. Sam's method takes care of what you need to do. You can tap them out from the shaft side downward. The whole lower mount might come off, too, but that's no big deal.

Now, you could do what I was orogonally planning -- to replace only the bushings in the shocks with a better material. You'd have to get the entire bushing with sleeve out OR cut out the rubber and center portion, then find a suitable replacement. Your shocks should be still good, unlike mine. British Parts UK has the bushings for about 19 pounds sterling each (about $84 for both with VAT and shipping). That's a helluva lot better than anyone here. So, that's $84 plus a little work VS. approx. $200 for a new set of shocks with bushings.

I'm looking at APW's listing for the upper shock mounts. Did they say they were out of them or don't carry them anymore?

Old 10-27-2011, 11:58 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by XKR Brian
Try "black dog" they have a poly urethane one, but they are still a little pricey
Hi XKR Brian,

From my person experience with BlackDog Manufacturing. I would not recommend the polyurethane.
Xref: IN108739

Jaguar Upper Shock Bushing Kit

I replaced my left and right. My right side upper shock mount, the polyurethane would press out (ooze) after 1 day. I had to replace the right 3 times. Motorcars ltd sent me a one but it had already torn the polyurethane. It looks terrible. The salesmen in Houston kept blaming me for incorrectly installation. Blackdog did not refund my money.

If you like I can post the pictures.

Other items I have purchased from Motorcars were good.

Also if the polyurethane will "bark" if the right stress is put on the mount.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Gameblaster1; 10-27-2011 at 12:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
oldjaglover (10-28-2011)
Old 10-27-2011, 12:45 PM

So the Blackdog kit "buy" button just links me to the MCLtd. website. Hmmmmm. Those larger donuts sure look like what Energy Suspension sells as "universal" spring isolaters (also sold through O'Reilly). Those would be like the ones I posted on Sam's thread about R&R of the upper mounts.

The price for the MCLtd set is better, but then the "universals" from ES cost only about $27 each. So, how do we know exactly what these things are? And, if Brian is having trouble with the kit actually doing the job, then what are we looking at for a real source?

Old 10-27-2011, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Gameblaster1
Hi XKR Brian,

From my person experience with BlackDog Manufacturing. I would not recommend the polyurethane.
Xref: IN108739

Jaguar Upper Shock Bushing Kit

I replaced my left and right. My right side upper shock mount, the polyurethane would press out (ooze) after 1 day. I had to replace the right 3 times. Motorcars ltd sent me a one but it had already torn the polyurethane. It looks terrible. The salesmen in Houston kept blaming me for incorrectly installation. Blackdog did not refund my money.
I just got off the phone with Ray at MCLtd. He says they offer a rebuilt mount for $185 + exchange. That seemed pretty good for poly IF the poly is actually better. But after your comments and experience I am really concerned whether these even work for our cars. The center bushing is different but he did clarify that it does have a steel center sleeve and the washers to hold the shaft nut.

I need more input before I send off almost $400 and my old mounts. Anyone else have experience with the poly?

Old 10-27-2011, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member

I have no personal experience, but I've heard bad things.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
I have no personal experience, but I've heard bad things.
I told the guy that those larger donuts looked a lot like the ones that Energy Suspsneion sells (made by "Prothane"). The problem with what they offer is some of the critical measurements for outer diameter, thickness, and inner diameter are off. Not knowing the properties of the poly compound under the huge pressure our shocks force onto them I don't know what happens if the fit isn't exact. Or, maybe what some like Brian have experienced is exactly what happens if the donut has room to move. Even at only $27 each it's no bargain if they have to be constantly replaced.

Soooooooooo..........

Last edited by oldjaglover; 10-28-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:38 AM

Thanks for the help, guys. I've got the squeak quiet now with some tape around the upper shock rod where it goes through the body. She's going in for tensioner surgery next week, so I'll hopefully have the new mounts and shocks within the next 2 weeks so I can get that underway. Thanks for the offer on the mounts, Sam. As I figure out when might be a good time to do this, I'll give you a shout so we can line something up.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:30 AM

So, as of now the only way to get something new to replace the mounts is to get the poly rebuilts? Not liking these "choices" at all....

Old 11-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by oldjaglover
So, as of now the only way to get something new to replace the mounts is to get the poly rebuilts? Not liking these "choices" at all....
No, I posted a link above where jagbits sells new ones. And you can get OEM mounts from the dealer.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
No, I posted a link above where jagbits sells new ones. And you can get OEM mounts from the dealer.
I believe they all said they didn't have them...2-3 weeks. Even my local Jag dealer (who has some of the best online prices available) told me 2-3 weeks at best. I'll call around again, though.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member

OK, I understand now. It's not an emergency, though. The car can be driven with worn out mounts, so it won't hurt to wait.

Oh shoot... I just realized that you already took your struts out.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:12 PM

Welllllllll...I bit the bullet big time. I went back to our local dealer and got his only pair. I couldn't order off their website, which would have saved me about $50, but I have 'em in my hand as we speak. They are a piece of work, for sure. The big donut is really thick. BUT....I am puzzled by the fact that the rivets have not been cut. The stick out the mounting bolt side about 1-2". Am I supposed to cut them after everything is put back together.....then install in the fender?

IH...and my new shocks came today, too. I'm getting closer to heaven.

Hosted on Fotki

Notice the hole in the center bearing of each:

Hosted on Fotki

I found that only one of the mounts had the rivets uncut. Maybe it was too close to time to get a pint....

Last edited by oldjaglover; 11-02-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oldjaglover
Welllllllll...I bit the bullet big time. I went back to our local dealer and got his only pair. I couldn't order off their website, which would have saved me about $50, but I have 'em in my hand as we speak. They are a piece of work, for sure. The big donut is really thick. BUT....I am puzzled by the fact that the rivets have not been cut. The stick out the mounting bolt side about 1-2". Am I supposed to cut them after everything is put back together.....then install in the fender?

IH...and my new shocks came today, too. I'm getting closer to heaven.

Hosted on Fotki

Notice the hole in the center bearing of each:

Hosted on Fotki

I found that only one of the mounts had the rivets uncut. Maybe it was too close to time to get a pint....
These pictures are not what I would consider a complete job. The rivet or "Blind Rivet" is the aluminum top and hollow shaft. A nail or "mandrel" is pull up through the aluminum shaft and then breaks away. The mandrel have not been pull all the way through.

Quick Reply: Need current upper shock mount supplier and whether new shock or just lower mount