XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Need experienced advice before I purchase 1999 XK8

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 12:48 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts
Default RE: Need experienced advice before I purchase 1999 XK8

Well, she's no spring chicken anymore...93k isn't exactly bringing home a thoroubred either.

Ok then, based on my limited experience owning an XK8 for... going on 4 months now, let's try to get you some insight into what you may be expected to find, and more importantly, shell out in expenses...if not immediately after taking ownership, but in the near future.

[blockquote](1) Brakes/rotors - at around 50k, my front rotors were badly worn, and need of replacing. Add $300 if you are doing it yourself, $400-$500 if you get your local shop to do it. By all means...its not a Jag dealer-only service.

(2) The transmission - the car is already at the tail-end of it's synthetic lubricant, fully sealed tranny-case life. We've touched on this topic in other posts, and I am in full agreement with everyone on here that has chimed in, that although the dealer claims that the fluid should not ever need to be replaced, do it. Get that baby flushed and filled, and you should be ok for awhile. Is it a dealer-service only item??? I wouldn't do it, as long as the local mechanic/shop can get the fluid you need.

Thanks to 2000blackXKR, the specs are Shell ATF 3403 M115, 10 quarts.

(changed my mind on this topic)
The ZF transmission in my '03 is never getting flushed/refilled unless i have problems with it. It is such a reliable piece, i decided not to mess with it if i don't have to. I hear the older Benz trannys in the XJs were just as reliable.

(3) My headrests (both pass & driver) don't raise and lower anymore. Darn thing just makes motor noises. I can live w/o that. You?

Fixed with a Technical Service Bulletin from one of our members here. No biggie and you can do the repair yourself, if so inclined.

(4) The telescoping steering wheel, on Auto (meaning that thing goes in/out when you pull the key) works about 80% of the time. Will I get it fixed...probably not. I can live without the Auto feature if it dies totally.

(5) Check those tires out. Any tread left? I priced new Pirelli P Zeros, and it's going to cost me close to $1k for new sneakers all around. Thankfully, I have another 10,000 miles or so on the rears, and the new ones were new when I bought it from the dealer.

(6) Convertible Boot (if its a vert). Mine had the wrong color included, and it is strange to hear that so many covers disappear when the car is ready to sell. A new one will set you back another $400 from a good Ebay boot maker. Jag dealer boot not needed here...WAY too expensive.

[/blockquote]I've heard of convertible 'fluid' going bad in the lines, causing closure/opening failures, but mine has been flawless. See if you can get all of the maintenance records for it. If a dealer serviced it great, it should be in the database, and only a matter of getting your hands on it. I always get a little wary on high mileage vehicles that don't have good maintenance records kept. It just makes me feel confident about a private party purchase when I can see dates and mileages on oil changes (true synthetic used all the time??), brake services, coolant flush/fills, air/fuel filter replacements, etc.

You're definately taking some risk by not buying thru a dealer, or getting an extended warranty. The purchase price should reflect that equally. If you have a padded savings account, just in case a major repair was needed, then this sounds like it may be a good purchase. Me personally, I went with the newest year model I could afford, just for that very purpose. I plan on having my jag for another 5-6 years, and I will most likely put another 70-80k miles already atop the 50,000 it already has, so I too hope I can get that much longevity out of it.

Just from my gut feeling, I don't think Jag considered these cars being driven as much as alot of us do. I use mine as a daily work car, as well as my personal date transporter, and I just believe that they thought that most jag owners wouldn't drive it all the time - more like a weekend car. I would really like to hear from other XK* owners that can attest to higher mileage success so I don' t have to worry so much mine's age.

I hope i didn't sound too cynical, I truly was only trying to give you some things to think about and explore if you choose to. I love my car, and if you buy that XK8, I know you will feel the same. Just expect some cash expenditures during your immediate ownership, and during the year as you maintain her, and you will not have any disappointment at all. Hey, get the color combination you want too...exterior/interior, because that is the most important thing. you'll see it every day when you wake up..and you don't want to have any regrets. Shop around if you have to. Wheel styles too...make sure its what you want. Now, there are alot of XKs on the market, just look at www.cars.com, and you'll get a feel for prices and what samples are out there. I went to Houston (4-hr drive) for mine. But honestly, for the color/wheels that I wanted in an XK8, I was willing to go anywhere in the US for it.

Where are you located???

[blockquote]
[/blockquote]

Old 08-27-2007, 06:42 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts
Default RE: Need experienced advice before I purchase 1999 XK8

I'd be happy to look at one or two of them for you around here (dallas-ft-worth) if you want. I can at least let you know the basics from a test drive and a good inspection of the car. Just let me know...just so happens I LIVE in Ft Worth.