Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with '05 XK8 bogging down problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 11:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 752 Posts

Report:

The TB had some thick black gunk in it. Cleaned it up. Took her for a ride and gave myself a proper scare. A good hard acceleration made me rethink wanting to upgrade to an R. Cleo just kept pulling and pulling.

Unbeknownst to me, I got in a race with some guy in a riced up Integra. About 3 or four seconds after I let off of the gas, he flew past by me and braked hard for the next stop light. Then asked me what power figures my car is making. He said he didn't expect to lose. I answered, "I didn't know we were in a race".

The following users liked this post:
Gus (06-10-2014)
Old 06-10-2014, 10:28 AM
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
Report:

The TB had some thick black gunk in it. Cleaned it up. Took her for a ride and gave myself a proper scare. A good hard acceleration made me rethink wanting to upgrade to an R. Cleo just kept pulling and pulling.

Unbeknownst to me, I got in a race with some guy in a riced up Integra. About 3 or four seconds after I let off of the gas, he flew past by me and braked hard for the next stop light. Then asked me what power figures my car is making. He said he didn't expect to lose. I answered, "I didn't know we were in a race".
Cleo? Lol. Glad you worked out the bogging issue

Old 06-10-2014, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Juke
Cleo? Lol. Glad you worked out the bogging issue
Lol, yeah, my sister and I named the XK8 "Cleopatra".

Old 06-11-2014, 11:19 AM
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Now when you do this in an "R" what comes next after the pulling is shear heaven, it starts with OMG, will I run out of road, will the brakes work, then comes fear, then comes sweat, then comes "I better ease off or I"ll sh** myself." "R" is for relentless !! TS

Old 06-11-2014, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by smithtrevor
Now when you do this in an "R" what comes next after the pulling is shear heaven, it starts with OMG, will I run out of road, will the brakes work, then comes fear, then comes sweat, then comes "I better ease off or I"ll sh** myself." "R" is for relentless !! TS
I already experienced this with an 8... I do live in a small island. There isn't much road to begin with.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:37 AM
Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts

No codes?

Go to the parts store, get a can of MAF Sensor Cleaner, a new air filter,and a new fuel filter.$40 bucks worth of parts.

Disassemble your air box, spray the SMALL SHINY METAL OF THE BOTTOM OF THE MAF SENSOR that meters the air until clean.

Allow to dry.

Install your new air filter and new fuel filter.

Also beware that our cars use 93 premium octane,flooring the car with a lower grade may cause the knock sensors to retard timing.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by aode06
No codes?

Go to the parts store, get a can of MAF Sensor Cleaner, a new air filter,and a new fuel filter.$40 bucks worth of parts.

Disassemble your air box, spray the SMALL SHINY METAL OF THE BOTTOM OF THE MAF SENSOR that meters the air until clean.

Allow to dry.

Install your new air filter and new fuel filter.

Also beware that our cars use 93 premium octane,flooring the car with a lower grade may cause the knock sensors to retard timing.
My MAFs is clean, I do have a new fuel filter and a new air filter.

93 octane gas isn't sold here on the island unless it also has ethanol. No thanks.

My problem has been solved already so I'm good.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:36 AM
Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts
Smile

lol, the throttle body cleaning was my next step, my internet connection has been down and didn't refresh the page since you've had the car fixed lol due to a storm,taking out some fiber optic lines.

I see you are located in the islands, I have family there,ive never met before and me and my father and grand father am planning to visit them next year,
Perhaps, I can stop over, we can acquire some adult beverages and consume some real mahi mahi.

They try to make it local, but I hear its nothing compared to what the island has to offer along with the experience and taste

Last edited by aode06; 06-13-2014 at 07:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
giandanielxk8 (06-13-2014)
Old 06-13-2014, 08:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New update.... It's back! Took it for the same initial drive when problem occurred and was able to recreated and actually get it worse. Drove counter-clockwise around the Napa Valley (West side to East) in St. Helena traffic down to a crawl for about 25 min. Then on the East coming down from Calistoga I was able to hit the gas and it bogged down. RPM went up to a point but no power. I tested this all the way back to Napa and the issue got worse. In Napa I had to stop and get gas. Shut off the engine, opened the hood and felt around air filter... MAF seemed hot.... but could just be from engine compartment temp.
Restarted car and was able to test........ NO Problem.

Could some unit or sensor be getting hot and mal-functioning?

When I was close to home hit very slow traffic again for about 10 min... I'm pretty sure it started again...... but I have become psychologically sensitive to the issue now.

NO warning lights no codes registered. What do the Jag gurus think of this one??

Old 06-13-2014, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rwm21xk8
New update.... It's back! Took it for the same initial drive when problem occurred and was able to recreated and actually get it worse. Drove counter-clockwise around the Napa Valley (West side to East) in St. Helena traffic down to a crawl for about 25 min. Then on the East coming down from Calistoga I was able to hit the gas and it bogged down. RPM went up to a point but no power. I tested this all the way back to Napa and the issue got worse. In Napa I had to stop and get gas. Shut off the engine, opened the hood and felt around air filter... MAF seemed hot.... but could just be from engine compartment temp.
Restarted car and was able to test........ NO Problem.

Could some unit or sensor be getting hot and mal-functioning?

When I was close to home hit very slow traffic again for about 10 min... I'm pretty sure it started again...... but I have become psychologically sensitive to the issue now.

NO warning lights no codes registered. What do the Jag gurus think of this one??
MAFs is clean, TB is clean, and no air leaks? Fuel starvation?

Old 06-14-2014, 09:12 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Yes it could be fuel but it could also be a knock sensor and a few other things. You need to try to capture the temporary codes using an OBDIIcode reader. Go to a shop that has one and get them to ride with you and see if the problem takes place.