XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Need Help..Looking to buy a Jaguar

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 07:15 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Do a search on the forums here. There's hundreds of threads relating to this... especially when your looking for at such a wide range of automobiles.

My advice is narrow your search down to the vehicle you want. S-Type is relatively new, but arguably the least expensive of the bunch. XJs (Do you want XJS, XJ6, XJ8 or XJR?) Have been around for decades. Their prices are all over the map depending on age, condition, engine, model etc. XKs are a complete different class than the S-Type and XJ sedans. Depending on condition you can find them pretty cheap.

If you just want a Jaguar and don't care what kind, well that's great. But it will take a lot more work to get your research done before you start looking. Like I said, do some searching on the forums here. Get to know the basics of the car, then create a shortlist of cars you've found on craigslist, autotrader, ebay etc and then go more indepth... when you finally find the car(s) you want... pull trigger but only if the price is something you can live with and suits the condition of the car.

Patience is key. Buying a Jaguar is very different than buying a Honda or a GM.

P.S It took me 3 or 4 years until I was finally comfortable to pull the trigger. I have yet to regret it.

Last edited by Fedoraja1; 02-20-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

Both the XK8 and XJ8, and their R derivatives are generally the same engine, transmission and suspension. The S type also shares the same engine, at least with the V8.

So the question really becomes do you want a luxury sedan, a luxury convertible or coupe or a luxury sports sedan.

All have similar issues with the early years. I would recommend that '02 and previous years be owned by hobby mechanics or at least by an owner that enjoyed tinkering with cars. After all, these cars are 10 years old or older and Jaguar parts and repairs are going to be significantly more expensive than a Ford.

All had become pretty reliable by '03.

It took me a year to find a car that I was willing to purchase. There are some really low mileage, well maintained cars out there.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

Go with the XK8. It is a fun car, and you will get looks and comments that your prob have never got in any other car. While I got a 97 and got most of the bugs out of it you should go with the 03 era of car, by the the bugs were out for the most part but it is still a JAG. Ha ha ha
Find one with a maint history documented.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:45 PM
Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Sircampsalot:

The information above is right on the mark. What you didn't say is what you're going to do with a Jag. Weekend car? Every day driver? Do you have other cars to drive?

My suggestion is to figure out how much you're going to spend, and get on EBay, Craigslist and AutoTrader.com to see what your $ will buy. Then, you can figure out which model is best for your use. Try to purchase as newest model your pocketbook will allow. Then, go on the search for your desired model.

Be very careful dealing with individuals, as there are alot of online scams out there. Luxury car dealers (Lexus, M-B, BMW and Acura) are naturally afraid to put big $ into any of their competitor's cars--especially Jaguars. They're a very good source for Jaguars at low prices--and, they have Extended Service Plans to take the worry out of these complicated cars.

Even if a car is located out of town, it's best if you see the car in person before making a deal. Anyone worthy of your business is willing to let you have a real mechanic fully inspect the car. That's the best $200 you'll ever spend.

I think you'll find that many Jaguar owners purchase their cars for the long term. They don't plan on trading, and are into Jag's for the classier ownership experience. Jag owners are typically 55 years old, the kids are out of the house and they have 4 cars for 2 drivers. You will often find many Jags only driven 4-5K miles per year.
I think the XK8 is especially a good bargain in a used car--especially if you're a little mechanical.

I've never seen any auto/truck forum with more members willing to help you keep their cars out of dealership service depts. These guys are very experienced with these special cars, and work very hard to take frustrations out of Jag ownership.
Welcome to this Forum.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:00 AM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi Sircampalot,

I was exactly where you are a few months ago. Take your time, do your research. If you like the convertible then focus on that vehicle. In your not sure, go on test drives of different models to see which one makes your toes curl up. Don't be discouraged by all the info you'll get on the vehicle. It may be overwhelming but it's good to know what the issues may be. I found that purchasing Carfax was very valuable because some sellers are not totally honest about mileage, accidents and other issues. I purchased a 2001 XK8 with 24,000 miles on it and I am in LOVE. This forum has been a God send with all of the great folks willing to help and give their valuable advice on Jaguar related issues. Follow your heart but do your homework.

Bassmania

Old 02-22-2011, 12:30 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bassmania
I found that purchasing Carfax was very valuable because some sellers are not totally honest about mileage, accidents and other issues.
That is very good advice. I was ready (pending an inspection) to make a purchase from a private seller a week ago; I paid for a carfax report which indicated that there was a lien on the title when it was registered to the current owner. Following up on this, I called the title bureau to check on it, and was informed that not only was there still a lien on the title, but the seller gave me a fake last name.

I suppose I didn't really need carfax to learn this information, however the point is that I probably wouldn't have thought of it until it was pointed out on the carfax.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

While CarFax provides a valuable service please note that their disclaimer says that they only report what has been reported to them. They do not verify reported information for accuracy and do not research damage or repairs not reported to them.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sircampsalot

I am not a rich guy so this purchase will be the only one i am going to be able to make, So i need to get it right the first time! LoL.
I've owned (3) jaguars and would Not recommend them to anyone on a budget. Even if you do All the work yourself, the parts are expensive. Even an oil change is 8 quarts. Do yourself a favor and buy an Acura. You can Quickly get in over your head with a jaguar, especially with a cheap one, and that's no laughing matter. Been there. These are thousand dollar cars - everytime something goes wrong, it will cost $1000 to fix. (if you do it right)

Last edited by 2003 XK8; 02-22-2011 at 08:09 PM.