XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

New car, new problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2020, 06:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,387 Likes on 2,866 Posts

Top Hydraulics has long been well-respected here on the forum but can be quite pricey nowadays. A rather recent alternative for the replacement hoses is www.cabriolet-roof-hoses.com in the UK. Even with shipping costs to the US, their prices are about half of what Top Hydraulics typically charges. All hoses and fittings come with a lifetime warranty. Email chris.porter@helperformance.com for more details....

The following 2 users liked this post by Jon89:
BimmerGuy (10-29-2020), cjd777 (10-29-2020)
Old 10-29-2020, 07:21 AM
Received 53 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
A rather recent alternative for the replacement hoses is www.cabriolet-roof-hoses.com in the UK.
Thanks neighbor!

Old 10-29-2020, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by stu46h
That's what I was thinking but then I thought, who the hell writes that on the engine?
me. But not on the motor. Usually on some label under the hood . It’s because I own five cars and they all have different well capacities and I’m tired of getting my owners manuals greasy because that’s normally when I realized I don’t remember if it’s 6, 7 or 7 1/2 qts On whichever particular vehicle I’m working on

Old 10-29-2020, 09:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BimmerGuy
2003 XKR cabriolet, 28K miles. I got this car yesterday and was checking fluid levels and such and noticed this written on one of the valve covers:

I'm guessing that it was a campaign? I know that some mechanics will write down the code when they do a campaign/recall, but usually it's not ON THE ENGINE! Does this mean anything to anyone? No other writing anywhere else that I could see.

Question #2: I noticed some fluid leaking/dripping from the little metal screen at the top of the windshield near the top latch. I should have looked at it more closely before cleaning it. There was one drop dangling and a couple of drops in the ashtray below. I assume that this is hydraulic fluid, and that I need to either tighten up a clamp or install that pressure reducing valve to avoid a future green shower, or both. Thoughts?

Question #3: The tough one, perhaps. The rear light cluster has several lights, the turn signal, the reverse light, fog, brake and parking. Parking lights (my term) come on with the headlights. See pic below,

inner and outer are parking lights. Outer is also a brake light.

So, I got the rear light out message, and the inner light bulb was not working. It is a two filament bulb, but only one positive contact in the housing, so it only uses that one filament. It is a different bulb than the outer one (the outer one has offset pins). A single filament bulb will fit, but won't work (because it doesn't line up with the contact). I had a spare, and I also swapped with the left side (working) bulb, but had the same result:

When I put in the new inner bulb, the outer bulb dims about 50%. Normally I would expect this to be because of a bad ground, but all of the other lights work fine, and they all share the ground, right? Has anyone seen this kind of behavior before and has a fix? The left side does not behave this way, I presume although now that I think about it, I didn't test for that. It's dim enough to be noticeable compared to the other side.

I searched the forum and it seems that most related issues are for people putting in LEDs, or the usual likely culprit, another bulb burned out somewhere or a bad ground. If I don't hear any good ideas, I'll run a new ground to the assembly and see if that helps.

Thanks,
Michael
I'm guessing the valve cover info is 7.4 qts of 5-30 regular motor oil?

Old 10-29-2020, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts

03ConvGuy....

All these Bulb Numbers are Halogen Bulbs

Tail Lights should be: (Lower Group of 3) from the inside out: Fog Light: (1156-Bulb) Middle Light: (1157-Bulb) Outer Light (1157- Bulb)
--(Fog Light can be LED with no canbus problems)

(Upper Group of 2) from the inside out: Back-up Light 7506 -- Blinker Bulb 7507 (Amber)

NOTE:
You can change-out the Back-up Bulbs to an LED without Canbus Problems: Use a LED with a Magnified single LED Go to Amazon Prime for LED Back-up Lights and get (2) 1156 iBright Low Power Magnified LED Bulbs----$15.99 for 2....You will be able to see down the Driveway with these!

The (2) Rear 1157 Bulbs are: (Middle Light is always a Rear Light) although the Bulb is an 1157....The outer 1157 Bulb acts as a Rear Light and as the Brake Light....

Note: 1156 Bulbs have different pongs than the 1157....1157's are offset!

You can change out your Front Low Beams (HID) and also the High Beams (LED) The low Beams are pretty Dim and the HID Bulb can be changed up to 6000K and the Hi-Beams are Halogen and can be changed to LED....Then you will be able to see down the Road....Let me know if you need help!

The Engine holds 8 Quarts of Oil with Oil and Filter change....The Guys that change the Oil will want to pour 6 or 7 quarts....So you will have to remind them of the 8 Quart volume....Your 2003 has the 4.2 Engine, which holds 8 Quarts.....not 7.4 Quarts.

Good Luck with your new XKR!

Billy Clyde @ Cinco Ranch

Last edited by bcprice36; 10-29-2020 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-30-2020, 08:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 692 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by BimmerGuy
Awesome, thanks!

I know, right? The PO was an elderly gentleman, so maybe he did his own oil changes and didn't want to bother trying to remember the number of quarts.

Heck, I've got five cars now. I'll need to create a spreadsheet to keep it all straight. Of course, I'd also write down the size of the drain plug so that I don't have to make two trips down there (as we age, we like crawling on the ground less and less).
I maintain a small fleet of vehicles and I have that spreadsheet.
It's got the vehicles, oil type, filter part numbers, etc.
But I don't write on the vehicles. That's just goofy.
I know what you mean about limiting the trips down to the floor. I just turned 58.
For the drain plug, do yourself a favor.
Next oil change remove the drain plug and throw it in the trash where it belongs. Install a Fumoto drain valve. You can get one with a nipple that accepts a hose to drain the oil directly into a waste container. All my vehicles have Fumoto drain valves. I love them. I haven't removed a drain plug in years and I don't miss them one bit.

Old 10-31-2020, 06:12 AM
Received 282 Likes on 164 Posts

I have a little note book for each vehicle I own which fortunately (or not so much depending on how ya look at it) I have to enjoy. I couldn't remember all the service on each if my life depended on it. That's a lot of tires, valve adjustments and oil changes, lol. So I use the notebook and keep it in the glove box or saddlebag. I'm too old school to use a spread sheet, I have never used powerpoint or any such thing. Kudos to those that do.
Stu46h.... I'm 64 tomorrow and getting down is not a problem, it's the gettin' back up. LOL Ride and drive safe. TM

Old 10-31-2020, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 195 Likes on 165 Posts

I use a program called Automotive Wolf to keep track of everything on our vehicles.