XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

New Engine Time

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 12:30 PM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

For obvious reasons, mechanics are generally regarded by most, if not all, members of this community to be the most valued members we can have.

They certainly are from my point of view i can guarantee you

Old 06-18-2012, 01:10 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Fedoraja1

I didnt mean to hijack your thread. I'm sorry for your predicament, I completely understand your frustration.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:16 PM
Received 6,320 Likes on 5,507 Posts

Originally Posted by Terro
Just another quick note to further define myself. I personally am not a mechanic that services the public. (as I sense some animosity toward mechanics here) I can understand a lot of people's dissatisfaction with the services that they have received at some time or another. So please don't mistake me for the guy who you would like to get even with
I wasn't being even slightly anti-mechanic, I hope it didn't appear that way. It's just an economics thing and mechanics like to be paid for their work, I'm quite partial to it also!
You just have to weigh up how much you are prepared to sink into an investigation, which may be money down the drain as opposed to just going for a swap where you know the cost (approximately) and may even get some kind of warranty.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:41 PM

I'm sorry if I missed something regarding fedoraja1 predicament. I understood it as only a compression check had been done. Not even a valve cover removed to see if it had a stuck valve or broken spring etc. I prefer to be optimistic when dealing with problems of all types. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not offended by anyone's responses. I just felt that I needed to make that clarification that all

Old 06-18-2012, 02:09 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

To put it simple, I have very little (read: none) technical skill. I have two mechanics that I rely on for everything because I simply don't know any better.

My first guy didn't want the job because he's busy enough as it is.
My second guy has rebuilt an engine and a half for me in the past and has done some work for some friends. Apparently back in the 'old days' he ran a garage that worked on Jag I6s and V12s so he's 'familiar' with Jaguar engines.

With that said, everything is about cost and time because I cannot do any of the work myself.

Both of my guys said the engine is toast. Based on what the second guy said, I'm looking at a $6000-$7000 rebuild of the engine. Both guys have said that if you're going to rebuild the top, it's best to do the bottom as well. They both agreed a new engine was the most economical.

That left me a few options.

I could find an AJ26 and just throw it in. Or I could try an AJ27/AJ34 swap for a few extra $$.

I could do an LS1/LS6/LS2 swap but after crunching the numbers it's not worth it. A best case scenario for a LS1 would cost roughly $7000 and the soul of the Jaguar. If it was around $3000 all in I could sacrafice the soul, but it's not and I can't.

My third option, and slightly costly, is finding a donor car and importing it as a parts car. I've found a few candidates; a XK8, two XJ8s, a few XJRs and some parting our XKRs.

I have two problems: I wouldn't know a good engine from a bad engine if it ran beside me. I think a clean looking engine is good... which isn't always the case.

My other problem (and I can get the gist of it) is finding out how interchangable parts from the XJ and XK are. If most of the mechanicals and electronics are able to be swapped, I've found a few XJRs for cheap enough that I'd be willing to swallow the extra labour costs... once I find a good thread about XJ/XK compatibility.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:12 PM

I'm sorry if I missed something regarding fedoraja1 predicament. I understood it as only a compression check had been done. Not even a valve cover removed to see if it had a stuck valve or broken spring
They did a compression test and some other test. They also used a camera to check inside the engine without pulling the valve covers. That's how they identified the holes in the cylinders... or so I'm told.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:59 PM

I wish I had the golden answer for you. I recall seeing remanufactured engines in the vender area of this sight. They are not cheap by any means, however they are new to a degree somewhat. Am I correct in thinking you're in Canada

Old 06-18-2012, 03:45 PM

Yes I'm in Canada, but on the border. I do a lot of my shopping in the U.S.

Remanufactured engines go for quite the price tag. In Canada I was given a price nearly double the price I got from Detroit which was close to $11 500 ($8000 after core). I quickly determined it wasn't feasible to get a remanufactured engine... at least not from the dealer.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:47 PM

Wow, these beautiful jags are so like women it's scary. They drive you wild one day and nuts the next. Best of luck getting your girl back on the road

Old 06-18-2012, 08:13 PM

Wow, these beautiful jags are so like women it's scary. They drive you wild one day and nuts the next. Best of luck getting your girl back on the road
(you don't want to hear the labour costs!)

Old 06-18-2012, 10:47 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

send motorcarman a PM Fedora; two years ago he had an AJ26 engine sitting in his shop that he had replaced tensioners in...he told me he was saving it for an XK8 that lots its engine (as he expected there would be, like yours). Now, my impression was he wanted to buy the xk8 and put his engine in it for himself to keep, but if he hasn't done it yet, maybe he'd want to sell it instead? Its a long way to TX, but it'd be a good one, you could count on that.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello
I am assisting a friend get his 1999 Sedan back on the road . As a little background he works for 1 of the larger salvage yards in Ontario , and has not had any luck with finding a Jaguar engine for a replacement . I suggested trying a Lincoln LS engine From reading on this forum . It looks promising , Both engines are side by side . A lot of parts to be swapped from Jag to LS long block but here are some
Valve covers allows Jag coils , Intake Manifold , oil pan allows 2 bottom AC compressor mounting bolts , alternator mount , PS mount , exhaust manifolds . Will know how these work in the next day or two . I will shot some pictures .
As an aside his Jaguar long block looks usable with nice crosshatching .
paul

Old 06-19-2012, 12:18 PM

Thanks Matt.

Hey Paul, nice to see another Ontarian on here. I've had no problem locating used AJ26s. There's a few available in Ontario currently... three in Toronto area I believe.

Where can I find a thread talking about which components are interchangable between XJs and XKs?

Old 06-19-2012, 03:58 PM

Hello
The quick reference for swapping 4.2 with 4.0 and others (LS) was on this forum , I have the link with Hotmail but not sure how to forward it to you . Tilbury (forum id) from Windsor On had a posting about XK8 in this "link" string . If I had an email address I could forward though you have probaly already seen the string .
Engines for XJ are in Toronto , where ? A intake manifold for Sedan is needed.
Thanks paul

Old 06-19-2012, 11:58 PM

Hey guys,
I've read through this thread and glad to see plenty of knowledgeable input. I'm going to chime in with my project as well, and perhaps we can get close to a decision, but I have questions as well beforehand.

I am about to obtain a 1998 XK8 with the famed Nikasel engine failure issue. The dealer obviously recommends engine replacement, although a repair is viable, but just another time bomb as the compression worsens. Therefore, I need to replace the engine. I definitely want to go with the Jag option, but here's my question. Can I install a 2001-2003 engine without any modifications?? I know that the Nikasel issue ended on August 18th of 2000, with the first steel lined engine leaving the factory on that date. I currently have a great deal on a 2001 engine, so I'd like to know if there are any fitment issues or modification requirements.

Secondly, and this is just b/c I also may be able to obtain a 2001 Supercharged engine, would I be able to install a SC version (XKR) into this base 1998 without modifications or issues??

Any help or suggestions are MORE than greatly appreciated from this group. Thanks!!!

Soon to be a Jag Jedi,

Old 06-20-2012, 01:11 AM

Hi *****

Welcome to the forum!

Searching the forum would give you a number of results but here's your answer.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-17/xk8-37036/

Old 06-20-2012, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by iamcanadian
Engines for XJ are in Toronto , where ? A intake manifold for Sedan is needed.
Thanks paul
If you use car-part.com and do a search, you will see four engines pop up. There were six not too long ago.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:31 AM
Default New Engine Time

My 2004 Mazda3 2.3L Sport sedan is going to need a new engine soon. I bought the car about a year ago without taking it to a mechanic...big mistake... I had a problem with the transmission, so after fixing the tranny problem my local mechanic suggested an oil change. He showed me the used oil filter, which was full of silver metal shavings, and oil didn't register on the dipstick....
The car has burned oil and been noisy ever since, but now the knocking sound is getting louder and I'm quite sure I'll need to replace the engine soon....

replacement engine

Old 08-25-2012, 08:50 PM

Being not at all familiar with this stuff I think it's time for an update.

Recently purchased:

engine - $2400 complete with most accessories. Oil pan damaged. Will be using the brand new alt and water pump from the fried engine.

engine mount (x2)
secondary tensioners (one for each side)
the respective bolts (x4)
idler pulley
oil pan gasket

I think there was something else but can't remember it off the top of my head.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:29 PM
Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts

One thing I did not see on this thread was the possibility of "sleeving" the original engine with steel liners. Any competent machine shop should be able to perform that task. I am unaware of any design limitations that would be a problem. You could then fit new pistons as needed, have a good valve job done, and generally update the original engine with all of the new generation parts now available. You would then have a "new" updated engine, versus a used engine with a lot of questions about it's internals. The LS2 is a fine engine, but replacing or rebuilding the original engine would save a lot of headache as compared to fitting that GM engine. Just my two cents.

Quick Reply: New Engine Time