XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

New here... college student... excited but terrified!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 12:06 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome neuromancer! Your car looks great! Welcome to the forum and good luck this winter. I recently purchased my first Jag. She's under cover for the winter with the battery on tender. I have two other cars to help with the bad weather. A 06 Honda Element, and an 2010 Mini Cooper Clubman S. (my wife's car). The Element for hauling, the Mini for long trips, and the Jag for fair weather driving. Best of luck with yours.

Old 12-31-2018, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

Hi, your obviously a Wiliam Gibson fan.

My dear old dad once gave me a bit of advice that has proved very true over the years.................. You can have a car or money you can't have both.

What a car to start off with. These are great cars and only look better and better when you see the modern mass produced cars. True the new cars have more gadgets than the older ones but they can never match the style, class, elegance and sheer driving fun these Jags have. Enjoy the car and stop worrying about it. I can almost guarantee in the near future someone will offer you a good price for your car, you will be tempted. But dont give in! If you do you will say later on in life.............. "I had one of those, wish id kept it" Its taken me 40+ years to get one, a 2003 XKR, and I am never going to sell it. Good for you getting one now.

Boring stuff first. I assume your showing the back window because of the black trim lifting? Simply put something blunt underneath and run it along. Get a hair drier to warm it up so you can reshape it. When you have it flat tape it down and eventually the tape will drop off and the moulding will stay in shape. Shame your not closer I could have fixed it for you in 10 mins flat!

You must be a bright chap as you did the common sense thing in joining a forum. We all get in tough spots and the support and knowledge these sites give is invaluable. Join a few! The good thing about the web is that you do not even have to be in the same country! I am in England. Remember there is no such thing as a stupid question so if your wondering about something just ask!

When you get a few days spare you might find this an interesting read.............. https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthre...l=1#post697823 its the "Story" of my Jag restoration, though it was not initially intended as such.

So enjoy the car. Welcome to the forum. Happy motoring!

Last edited by frankc; 12-31-2018 at 02:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Junkyardjohn (02-06-2019)
Old 12-31-2018, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts
Question neuromancer the future Doctor!

..Well here it is 2019....Getting close to Med School and I just thought I would throw in another pitch for Med School here in Houston.! The Doctors down here are some of the best in the World, the Schools are second to none and the Medical Center continues to grow in size and stature....If you want to be a Heart Surgeon, they do more here than anyplace in the World....We have the M.D, Anderson Cancer Institute, second to none! The Texas Children's Hospital, one of the best and continuing to grow....each time I make a contribution!......My youngest Son was there for 3 months at birth.....He's now 34, they did a good job! Then there's St Luke's and Methodist Hospitals, where miracles happen daily! One of my Doctors is a big deal and is in charge of Stem-Cell research...All kinds of Miracles waiting to be brought forth in that research…..

It's something to think about! Today 12/31/2018 it was 53 degrees! I wore a long sleeve shirt today, as it was kind'a cold outside! A couple years ago, it snowed.....covered the grass!! Melted by 10AM......If you haven't seen a photo of TMC, I'm going to send you one on this thread! Thank about it! That's TMC up front with Downtown Houston in the background………….Good Luck to you and your Beautiful XKR...….!

Billy Clyde in Houston

This is an older Photo of the Medical Center up-front with Houston (Downtown) in the background. This was several years ago.!...but you get the idea......

Junkyardjohn (02-06-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 12:43 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for all of the new replies, and my apologies for not staying up-to-date with the forum. I haven't forgotten about it; my senior year of college has just been the busiest yet.

My XKR has been very good to me so far. We have not had much snow this year in Massachusetts, which has made things easy. It hasn't been driven in active snowing conditions yet, and I have been carpooling on days that are a bit sketchy. I do cringe at all the salt that has been building up on it, but try to hose it off every few days. Now that it has some all-seasons on it, I must say, it seems to have better traction than the '08 Miata I had before (at least in the rain / puddles).

EnjoyEverySandwich, thanks for the advice! I'll look out for your sticker haha. If you see an XKR with a red EMT plate from Wisconsin, that's probably me

frankc, thank you as well. I am indeed a Gibson fan, and also a neuroscience major. I agree completely with what you said. I love my XKR and genuinely cannot think of another even remotely attainable car I'd trade it for. In fact, if I had the money, I'd get a green coupe edition to go along with it. There's just something about this car... when I look at all the new cars coming out now, sure, they may be cool, they may be great looking, but they don't have the je ne sais quois of this model. I often feel undeserving of it. But then I hear of others my age paying even more for cars that they don't enjoy or have pride in, and I think... why? Yes, of course, I am very very lucky -- but if I can do it, many others can, too. As I often say, you just gotta grab life by the ***** --- make your own rules, get creative with your money, and do the things you want to do today.

Thank you also for the advice about the rear window. I have had it looked at by numerous glass and auto body shops in the Greater Boston Area... and nobody has wanted to deal with it. Every one of them referred me elsewhere. I have held off on trying to remedy it myself, since I don't want to somehow make it worse, but I think I'll just finally give it a try. I can get the little rubber strip to go back in, but it won't stay in there. If the top goes down, it pops right back out. The portion that has popped out also seems to be slightly outstretched... so your hairdryer suggestion is an interesting one... I'll post an update once I muster the wherewithal to do it.

bcprice36, thank you as well for your advice. Houston is indeed a beautiful city. I have been there a couple of times since my mom was a patient at MD Anderson. I understand it to be a major biomedical epicenter, and do have my eyes on some medical schools there. However, I won't be applying until next year --- I first want some more research experience.

Thanks again for all of your replies. I will try to do a better job of checking in here.

The following 2 users liked this post by neuromancer:
bcprice36 (02-08-2019), DavidYau (02-24-2019)
Old 08-17-2023, 01:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 736 Likes on 503 Posts

Snow ??? I dont even take mine out in the rain !!!
Dont go to an indy learn how to do it yourself.

Old 08-17-2023, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by neuromancer
Thanks again for all of your replies. I will try to do a better job of checking in here.

Timeisrelative (08-20-2023)