XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

New-to-me '06 XK8 - To Keep or Not to Keep?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 12:24 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
Foxylady,
While certainly it's your choice to give back the car, and being spooked by poor and untrustworty dealer service might be reason enough, the replacement of two radiator hoses and a fuel rail switch are not serious flaws in an otherwise great automobile. If the dealer had any brains, those items would have been fixed without charge, and you would have felt a lot better about the experience. Unfortunately, because the problems weren't handled in a professional manner, you're put a position of not knowing what to expect, and I would return the car just for the peace of mind it would bring you.

I think at this point, that your distaste for how you were treated would sour your experience with this particular car especially if something else were to break down in the near future, so I think your decision is the right one. But, it shouldn't dissuade you from looking for another one.

Good luck.
My husband echoed the sentiment you express here. Indeed, my experience has been soured--but the distasteful impression I'm left with applies predominately to the behavior of the people at this dealership, rather than to the vehicle itself. My husband reminded me that, should I decide to keep the XK8, all that lack of integrity will not impact me going forward, as I would choose to have the car serviced with a different dealership--one with which I have built a trusted relationship over many years.

I rightly expect to spend thousands of dollars annually to maintain a vehicle of this age, and that reality does not in any way dissuade me from owning this particular vehicle or another vehicle of a similar age. During the few days I have had this car, I noticed it has its share of eccentricities: an analog clock that does not display the correct time, and a GPS that will accept whatever destination address I give it, but comically insists I am starting from somewhere where I'm not (tantamount to you setting the destination address for Shutters on the beach in Santa Monica when you are leaving from Beverly Hills, yet the GPS gives you directions as if you were beginning in Pacific Palisades).

Last edited by foxylady; 12-22-2014 at 12:30 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:46 AM
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by foxylady
...You'll love this: I checked the car in at service, and was waiting there for my husband to come pick me up. He was leaving town on business for a few days and I prefer driving his car to getting a loaner. Who walks up to me but the two sales guys--all smiles: "Have you been helped yet? Can we get you anything, coffee?" The senior guy apologized nicely for the leak, then somewhat sheepishly asked an amazing question. He wanted to know if by chance I had taken the original copy of the Deal Sheet (Retail Buyer's Order) from the day I took delivery. Of course, I hadn't, but I told him I'd check the folder they gave me when I got home and would let them know if it turned up. So either they lost the most important document of the entire transaction, or they may have been trying to get me to sign something that was altered in some way. They handed me another copy, stamped "ORIGINAL", and asked me to sign it. I told them I'd take it home to review, and would be happy to give them a photocopy of my copy of the original document. We read it word-for-word, and it appears to be the same document (my husband's an attorney). Crazy way to do business!
Here is the danger to you in this scenario. The contract probably includes a "merger clause". The email stating they would take the car back, if it post-dated the contract, would not be affected by the merger clause. If you sign a new contract, after the date of the email, then the newly-signed contract's merger clause would negate the return promise contained in the email.

Last edited by bakntyme; 12-22-2014 at 12:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Marsden (12-23-2014)
Old 12-22-2014, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by bakntyme
Here is the danger to you in this scenario. The contract probably includes a "merger clause". The email stating they would take the car back, if it post-dated the contract, would not be affected by the merger clause. If you sign a new contract, with a date after the email, then the newly-signed contract's merger clause would negate the return promise contained in the email.
hmmm . . . I will definitely check that out with my attorney (aka my husband). I haven't signed anything since I signed the true "original" documents on the date I took delivery. And I don't see why I should, really. If they truly lost the executed document, is that my problem?

I would most likely provide them with a photocopy of the one I retained from the closing.

How do you like your 2006 XK8 droptop? Were you the original owner? If not, how many miles were on the vehicle when you bought it?

Old 12-22-2014, 01:23 AM
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

I just bought it on Oct 20 of this year, with 47,000 miles on it. I bought it from Carmax and paid a premium, but it was in excellent condition and I got a service contract to 100k miles total on it.

I love the car. It is a joy to drive. The engine and transmission may be the smoothest of any of the many cars I have owned over the years. It handles like a slot car. It has all the power I could ever use; I wonder why anyone who lives where there are speed limits would need the supercharged version. Of course that opinion would have been different when I was a teenager and had a muscle car. In my opinion, it is one of the most beautiful cars available (I sold my 1969 XKE a year ago and the X100 is almost as good looking; I don't like the looks of the X150 as much). Everything seems to work as intended; the only nuisance is the ten year old maps in the navigation system, and the buying experience went smoothly with no problems or tricks. Admittedly I have owned it for just a couple of months, but the only things I have done are add gas and install the convertible top pressure valve modification.

But with all the problems you have already encountered, and the lack of trust in and integrity of the selling dealer, you might be best served by returning it and looking for another. I would not be as comfortable driving a car where I always worried about what would go wrong next.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,581 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Foxylady,
Thank you for your kind words. I purchased my 2002 XKR about 5+ years ago as a fluke. I was looking at some cars on ebay, came across this stunning XKR, a car to which I had never paid any attention, never sat in one, drove in one, etc., and I thought, why not have some fun and make a low bid. I put a very low maximum bid on the car which I knew was far too low to actually acquire it. To my surprise it was the highest bid, but well below the reserve. To my shock, two days later, the owner emailed me that they would accept the offer. Since it was post auction, I was under no obligation to purchase, so I rented a car, drove the 5 hours to San Jose and figured if I liked the car, I would leave the rental at the local Hertz and drive the "new" car home.

I drove up, saw the car, which had 62000 miles on it, and had a 2" thick file of every service done on the car from the first day of ownership. The car was pristine save for a small poorly repaired scratch on a rear quarter panel and four badly curb rashed wheels.

Needless to say, I drove the car home. It has had its share of all of the commonly known problems of the series, but I've put nearly 100,000 miles on her since, I have the top down 360 days a year, I get daily compliments on her, and I've enjoyed her like no other car I've ever owned.

I bought my 2010 XKR coupe about 6 months ago, specifically because it had a new engine put into it by my mechanic but paid for by the previous owner's warranty.

The differences between the two cars are huge. As I previously posted, I think the first series XK/XKR is far and away more beautiful, sensuous, and more in line with the heritage of the XKE. But, the power, suspension, handling, and transmission along with such features as rev-matching, paddle shifting, and rock solidity of the newer XK/XKR series is simply miles ahead. There is no comparison. The newer cars are taut, powerful felines that are as comfortable on a track as on the street, something you could never say about our older XK's.

Having said that, the 1997-2006 cars are true GT cruisers that give you a grand, stylish ride along with a big smile everytime you slip into its opulent interior.

As for your comments about knowing you'll have to spend thousands of dollars each year to service and maintain the 2006, I think that's quite an exaggeration. The last year of this series was well sorted and should require no extraordinary costs if the car was maintained well through its history.

Whatever you decide, I would suggest driving one of the newer series cars just so you understand how advanced they are. 2007-8 cars are showing up at prices even below 2006 models in many cases. Then make your decision. I love both of mine but have a real emotional attachment to my 2002, we've been through so much together.

Good luck and let us all know how it turns out.
Ted

Attached Thumbnails New-to-me '06 XK8 - To Keep or Not to Keep?-dscf0524-1280x960-.jpg   New-to-me '06 XK8 - To Keep or Not to Keep?-dscf0522-1280x960-.jpg  
Old 12-22-2014, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,361 Likes on 752 Posts

Foxylady, GO GET 'em! I love it, take them over the coals and my English wife would say. Sorry the dealer was such a crook, but the car was not at fault. It's to late now to take it to your dealer and have him give it a once over.
Hope you find one soon, great Christmas present.
If we can we of any help, don't hesitate.

Wayne

Old 12-22-2014, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 403 Posts

Foxylady,

Going forward I would recommend that the best "investment" you can make with these cars is finding a decent smallish independent mechanic for repairs. I especially noted your listing of $5,000+ of warranty exclusion repairs for your previous vehicle and then the $728 the dealer wants to charge to change a couple of stinking glovebox hinges. What I have found is that the repair shops at dealers (particularly high-end models like Jaguar, BMW, Mercedes) tend to charge astronomically for each and every little thing and they also find a bunch of "little things" to do. Tighten a screw, change a bulb, etc. that really take no more than a couple of minutes but they charge hours at the high rates.

But good luck with your hunt for another XK8.

Doug

Old 12-22-2014, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

I'm only 27 but have bought a lot of different cars. Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, Corvette, and probably a half dozen Japanese motorcycles.

Dealerships often try to pull things. Stand firm! I have one thing my dad taught me about buying cars that I've only broken once(and learned how important the rule is):

If it feels off, it is off, run away.

The car might be a great car, but you've had a questionable experience with the seller. That's a great reason to walk away. You're not buying a rare car, there are plenty of other deals to be had. The other thing is that you only hold power in these negotiations if you're willing to walk away.

I'll buy a car with a rod knock, slipping transmission, etc. I just will pay accordingly and I have to feel things are on the up and up. I advise the same here.

If I were the OP, I'd return the car, and start the search for the xk of my dreams!

Old 12-22-2014, 07:32 PM
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Keep us posted on the outcome of returning the car....

I'm sure all is going to go well and you'll find the right XK8.

Juke

Old 12-22-2014, 07:35 PM
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

BTW is it a coupe or convertible? I had to ask... :-D

I have a 05' silver XKR coupe...

Old 12-23-2014, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 789 Posts

Foxylady:

I am jumping over from my usual XK/XKR section to see what the outcome was of the situation on this XK8.

Did you decide to return the car?

What was the outcome?

Did the dealer cut you a check for the $18,000?

Inquiring minds (since this thread was started) want to know.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:38 AM
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Foxylady,
I would definately do as you are and have the dealer take the car back. The fairy tale story about the history is enough. Run! Sounds like you were smart using AMEX for the purchase. I think you hold the cards in this case.
I started with a '99 XK8. Had it for three years and sold it for lack of use. I truly grieved for that car and had to get another. Bought a 2006 three years ago and it has been almost bulletproof. Very inexpensive to maintain. Plan to keep it forever. I have an independent mechanic that's fantastic and reasonable. We have both of my cars on a service schedule and do not omit anything.
Have you considered an XJR? I bought an 07 a year ago with 32000 miles on it and it is hands down the most enjoyable car I've ever owned. Only trouble I have with it is keeping my wife out of it! Nice compromise between the VDP and the XK8. A little sportier. Tighter handling, slightly firmer ride than the VDP, and the power is addicting. Just a thought, but for you, especially in Florida, a convertible is probably best and NOTHING, to me is more beautiful than the XK8.
Good luck in your search for your next one. Keep us posted.
2X

Old 12-26-2014, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Juke
BTW is it a coupe or convertible? I had to ask... :-D

I have a 05' silver XKR coupe...
Juke, it's a silver 2006 XK8 coupe.

The following users liked this post:
cjd777 (12-26-2014)
Old 12-26-2014, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member

Foxylady, I take it you got the car. What kind of deal did you make?

Wayne

Old 12-26-2014, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by richzak
Foxylady:

I am jumping over from my usual XK/XKR section to see what the outcome was of the situation on this XK8.

Did you decide to return the car?

What was the outcome?

Did the dealer cut you a check for the $18,000?

Inquiring minds (since this thread was started) want to know.

Thanks in advance.
Rich, the car has been parked in our residential garage since this afternoon, and it looks amazing there, I must say. Next, I am going to take it in to a local indie Jag shop and ask them to evaluate it. And I will probably purchase an extended warranty for the car, but not from the dealership that sold it to me.

Meanwhile, the dealer performed all the work they had recommended, and did it at their expense. The service invoice they gave me showed N/C beside each item. They decided to replace the entire glove box instead of just the broken hinges, and that glove box kit part is currently on backorder. They repaired the fuel rail (replaced broken pressure switch), and replaced the upper and lower radiator hoses and clamps. The corresponding total for these items on their Recommended Services sheet was $2300+, and they covered those costs. They also offered to have the car delivered to me at the location of my choice, which I thought was a nice gesture. They used a local service called RedCap to deliver the car, which is a third-party they use to contract for drivers.

I'm not sure what produced the apparent change of heart on their part, but I was quite pleased that they changed their tune. I did confirm that no dashboard icons or messages appeared when I pulled it into the garage. I will do a separate post tomorrow to detail all the codes that turned up when I gave them the car.

Old 12-26-2014, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by cjd777
Foxylady, I take it you got the car. What kind of deal did you make?

Wayne
Hi, Wayne. They delivered the car to me about five hours ago. They did all the recommended repairs ($2300+) at their expense. The car is currently code-free, according to them. I am going to have the car evaluated by a local indie Jag shop to confirm that it is actually code-free and passes what the dealer calls a "world-class inspection."

Old 12-26-2014, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member

Foxylady, well done, as it's very apparent you love the car. My wife wants a Coupe as well and turned down a bunch of other cars, just can't get excited about them. We chased a "R" Coupe all over town, but alas we were a little slower in her Jeep.
Look forward to the full story, ENJOY!

Wayne

Old 12-26-2014, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,581 Likes on 1,421 Posts

foxylady,
I'm happy for you, and I had no doubt in my earlier post that when given the choice of returning $18000 or doing a couple hundred dollars worth of repairs (and yes that $2300 quote is patently ridiculous), the dealership would do all of the repairs and bring the car up to spec. The car should never have been handed to you without those repairs in the first place.

Congratulations, you have purchased a beautiful, classic, timeless automobile that you should be able to enjoy for tens of thousands of miles.

Happy New Year!

Old 12-27-2014, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
foxylady,
(and yes that $2300 quote is patently ridiculous)
I was thinking the same thing, but not knowing what shops charge in the area/local economy, I didn't comment earlier. I think I did both radiator hoses with new coolant for under $75 (of course that doesn't include labor costs, but $710 seems high, even if they were to charge $100+/hr)

Hopefully everything is sorted for you now and the indie finds no faults.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts

+1 on finding a good Indie mechanic. Notwithstanding the long-term relationship you have with another dealer, they are part of a network that seems to routinely gouge its customers in both labor and material costs, and they very often no longer have mechanics in their employ with experience on the "older" models. You may have to give up a few amenities (free loaners), but it will significantly lower your annual maintenance costs.

Quick Reply: New-to-me '06 XK8 - To Keep or Not to Keep?