XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

New to Me XK8

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2023, 08:21 AM
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New to Me XK8

OK all,
Now I finally have my XK8, 124K miles , and albeit with a few problems, I love it... I did a round trip from Malvern to Eastbourne and back via London last week..Over a couple of days I hasten to add.. 27.7 MPG
So Problems so far..
1 Jittery on the motorway like unbalanced wheels(they are fine), so diagnosed knackered shocks all round..
Also I read that the front shocker top mount bearings regularly fail? is this so and should they be changed at the same time?
2 The climate system..... does not!..
Tried full reset, no difference..The code reader when done on it test shows 14.. which reads..
14 Water temperature input malfunction Instrument cluster output Refer to PDU..
Does anyone know what that means in English?

3. G'Box is some times slow to first take off.. then perfect(forward and reverse).so I am gentle with it. A fluid and filter change called for me thinks?

Good news is that the Chains were done at 100K by Jaguar dealer

Thoughts please from the illustrious company on here please

Thank you in advance..

Also it did come with a XKB reg number, small bonus!!

Thanks in advamce

Mark

I did add this to the end of another thread then realised that this is a more suitable way!

Old 08-12-2023, 10:49 AM
Received 282 Likes on 164 Posts

Welcome to the club. More knowledgeable than me will chime in soon and you will get some answers.

I have rebuilt the front suspension on my '03 so you can too. It makes quite a difference.
The G'box should definitely be looked in to. Filter and fluid change is a must if it hasn't been done and you may want to do it anyway. There is something to do with the A-drum on the 5 speeds and there are several threads on that if you search.
Can't help on the non-control of the climate. Maybe in the magical control box. TM

The following users liked this post:
markmywords (08-12-2023)
Old 08-12-2023, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 503 Posts

Chances are the air con needs a re charge.

markmywords (08-12-2023)
Old 08-12-2023, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,390 Likes on 2,866 Posts

^^ Or more than just a refrigerant recharge. There may be a leak in the HVAC system or even a failed compressor. Look for crusty green-colored residue around the compressor fittings....

markmywords (08-12-2023)
Old 08-12-2023, 01:09 PM

Thank you for that chaps..
My XF Sportbrake is in for new belts and Aircon fix next week..a hole some where!
So yes the will try to get a re charge of the XK8, but this would not limit the airflow through the system when aircon is off..So a mystery..also on the XK,
seems the battery is sitting at 12.3V after 12 hours, even though charging at 14.1 for 400 miles!!
So I also suspect that could be part of the problem.. I will fill in later!

Thanks
Mark

Old 08-12-2023, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,819 Likes on 2,246 Posts

Yes, replace the battery.

Old 08-13-2023, 12:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 503 Posts

Check under the back seat for water ...leaking side windows can fill the area which then slops out ,goes under the carpets and rots the floor.
Operation of the windows is important as if not lifting when closing water gets in and rots the floor.
Charge the battery ..if after standing 24 hrs disconnected its below 12.5v I would replace it ..you only need an £75 one from ebay not some fancy make. Use a battery tender and a de humidifier in winter if its not in a garage.

markmywords (08-14-2023)
Old 08-13-2023, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,556 Posts

Welcome and congrats on the new Cat.

If you're replacing the shocks, you will need to remove the upper shock mounts anyway. Check them for signs of crumbling/crushing, and the ride height:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...3/#post2146849

will also guide you.

If you do need to replace them, be careful with your choice of new parts. Most of the aftermarket stuff is sub-par.

Use the correct fluid for the transmission, and avoid 3rd-party filters. Consider replacing the main pressure valve 'while you're in there'. Transgo does one, or you could opt for the updated ZF part (see attached).

Note the pan bolts are T27:- T25 will fit, but likely to round off. Give them all a squirt or three of penetrating fluid a day or two befor eyou do the job.

Attached Files
markmywords (08-27-2023)
Old 08-14-2023, 05:12 AM

Hi

Yes it is 12.3v so knackered, but happily charges at 14.1!
New one today I hope

Then, we shall see how the heater and gearbox performs....

Thanks again

Old 08-14-2023, 09:46 AM
Received 157 Likes on 105 Posts

Spitballing here, but a temperature sensor problem, located at the top of the radiator (or nearby as I'm not looking now) might have the effect of shutting down the A/C and some other random things as well.

I believe you said there was a code. Simple enough to replace.

Old 08-14-2023, 10:19 AM

Hello

Yes 2 codes 14 and 21 I think, the second is Aircon recharge needed, but 14 is something I do not understand!
Just not exactly sure what this means!!
So I shall look at the radiator, and search it out, well worth a punt
As did full reset while battery was out amd still ame same code!
Now changed the battery and have proper float volts of over 12.6! charging well at 14.2..
Curiously some one has fitted at Halfords battery quite recently, as its recharge date is 2024 !! Not a good advert for them..looks brand new. ho hum..
Not sure about G'box and driving yet, maybe tomorrow..
Thanks

Old 08-24-2023, 04:06 AM
Default Battery, shocks etc. update

Originally Posted by markmywords
Hello

Yes 2 codes 14 and 21 I think, the second is Aircon recharge needed, but 14 is something I do not understand!
Just not exactly sure what this means!!
So I shall look at the radiator, and search it out, well worth a punt
As did full reset while battery was out amd still ame same code!
Now changed the battery and have proper float volts of over 12.6! charging well at 14.2..
Curiously some one has fitted at Halfords battery quite recently, as its recharge date is 2024 !! Not a good advert for them..looks brand new. ho hum..
Not sure about G'box and driving yet, maybe tomorrow..
Thanks
Ok well as they say every day is school day..

First new battery was also draining it seems.. err what now?? after 2 or 3 days, it was at 12.4..
Then doing some further reading on this fine Forum.. I found a thread about this problem..
Seems curious and new to me..That if you do not actually lock the car it goes on drinking power..
Then once locked the electronics go to sleep..never occurred ot e.. as I do not usually lock the car..
Surprise surprise today still sitting at 12.7v hurrah..what difference a key makes!!

Shockers are in fact fine, suspension height is spot on at just under 16 inched both ends..and if jittery, it maybe the bottom bushes on the shockers, as they do after all support the wholecar!
It may well be that both springs have also been changed at or before 100K.. so bushes probably..Also having done 1500 miles the car has settled down and feels happier..
Tracking to be properly checked and set next..can bushes be changed easily on the car?

Gearbox..I managed to get the box on to tester at the wonderful Driver Transmissions in Birmingham(UK) and it revealed no major problems, with slipping etc. hurrah..So oil and pan filter to be done next week,
along with inspection of the valve chamber! As it is still slow sometimes to get into actual drive both forward and reverse, however all other changes are perfect!

Main problem is the heater system. still showing fault 14 and needing a regas. Can anyone advise what 14 actually is please..
If anyone knows the naughty sensor please let me know.. Almost no airflow is very annoying!
Thank you all out ther in XK8 land!!
Mark

Old 08-24-2023, 01:01 PM
Received 161 Likes on 91 Posts

Your fault 14 means that the Climate control dont get any coolant temperature input. And that this signal comes from the instrument cluster.
It may be a bad connection, a broken wire or a signal that it doesnt recognize
It is a yellow/green wire running from the major instrument pack to the Air condition control module

Old 08-25-2023, 05:01 AM

Wow thank you for your swift reply, silly question...
The instrument pack, is that behind the centre 3 guages?
Or in an ECU some where?..

Thank you so much for your help

Mark

Old 08-25-2023, 05:04 AM

Ah, just looked it up, behind the dash instruments..This couod also explain, if bad conections, the reason for my "trip" button not activating the trip display!
Sundays Job,,remove and look!!

Thank you again!

Mark

Old 08-26-2023, 09:54 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

For your drivability comfort try setting the tire pressure to 29.5 ft/lbs front and 30.5 rear. Made a huge difference for my ‘01 XKR. I’m not sure what those numbers are in metric, lol!

markmywords (08-26-2023)
Old 08-26-2023, 10:17 AM
Received 282 Likes on 164 Posts

Judging by your picture, this car looks to be worth saving and it seems to be in caring hands. It's a beauty. Keep up the good work one step at a time and all will be good eventually. I have a similar issue with the temp signal not getting to the ECU on my GMC Envoy. The ECU thinks it's running cool so it richens up the mixture. Bad mileage is the result. I'm NOT really gung-ho about searching for it but I'll have to soon. Good luck, TM

Last edited by STLTHMSTA; 08-27-2023 at 07:05 AM.
Old 08-26-2023, 10:39 AM

Thank you, well this one has terrifc history from day 1 and loads of welding in the naughty places done so far.. New wheel arches will help.

I love driving it, even though the XF is totally different and 14 years newer, there is a family feel, and they are both great to drive!
I hope that Jaguar do not move to far up the scale.. So sad about the demise of the "Engine" as we know them..E;ecyric motors just do not appeal..
They certainly do not growl !