XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

New Pedal Position Sensor Connectors

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2021, 10:34 AM
Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
Talking New Pedal Position Sensor Connectors

So I discovered that the PPS Connector on the wiring harness was damaged on my car while attempting to replace the 'spider' / 'octopus' heater hose. The previous owner (or his mechanic) jury rigged the connector and it works but I was less than impressed. I attempted to purchase a new connector from Jag but electrical parts (connector housings and wiring harnesses) are no longer available for these cars. So I purchased a used housing from a salvage yard but it had some minor damage. These connectors are VERY fragile so I don't expect the used part to hold up very long.

But there is hope. While searching youtube for instructions on how to remove the connector pins I discovered a source for NEW connectors. I just ordered one.

Y53C4 | FindPigtails.com

Y53C4 is a 4-pin automotive connector
findpigtails.com
This connector should fit the '97 to '02 XK8s with the 4.0L. Not sure about the newer cars.

The following users liked this post:
dibbit (03-03-2021)
Old 02-26-2021, 02:01 PM
Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

I seem to remember a TSB about an acceleration problem in those years. Fix was to replace the connector pins with gold plated ones. You might want to have a look for that TSB.

Old 03-02-2021, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by RedSky
I seem to remember a TSB about an acceleration problem in those years. Fix was to replace the connector pins with gold plated ones. You might want to have a look for that TSB.
The pins appear gold plated to me. I don't see any problems with the pins. The problem was that the plastic housing cracks in lots of places. Most prominently at the attachment point for the latching mechanism. That's what was missing on my original connector. But the salvage connector has cracks inside the housing around the pins and the under the housing where the white retention plate is located. I don't expect this connector to last much longer. Especially if I have to remove it (or if a mechanic has to remove it).

But now I have a brand new one! I ordered it Friday morning and received it Monday afternoon. FindPigtails.com shipped it 2 day overnight. No charge for shipping. Great service.

Old 03-02-2021, 10:50 AM
Received 8,150 Likes on 4,916 Posts

Jaguar used to sell the connectors but they were almost a thousand dollars. (the connectors came complete with the engine wire harness assy)

The individual connectors were NSS. (not sold or serviced separately)

The TSB (303-52) was issued in 2002. The connector kit may be NLA by now?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
303-58 DTC P0121 Flagged.pdf (268.4 KB, 133 views)
Old 03-02-2021, 10:57 AM

I discovered that the parts were discontinued. That was the point of my post. You can NOW acquire NEW connector housings for these cars without going through a salvage yard and hoping you can get a part that is serviceable. I'm psyched that I can now find NEW connector housings. The salvaged part cost me $50. The new part (including new 10" wire pigtails pre-crimped with new pins) only cost me $80 with 2 day shipping. It's a great service. Given how susceptible old connector housing are to cracking when you remove/install them to fix anything on the car it's great to now have a source for NEW connector housings.

I guess I'm the only one who finds this exceptional.

Old 03-02-2021, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

My guess is that the vast majority of the various electrical connectors that our cars were built with can be sourced from the many aftermarket companies that sell electrical components. The challenge is being able to find the appropriate part numbers and then being able to cross-reference them to something readily available for a reasonable cost....

Old 03-05-2021, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Jon89
My guess is that the vast majority of the various electrical connectors that our cars were built with can be sourced from the many aftermarket companies that sell electrical components. The challenge is being able to find the appropriate part numbers and then being able to cross-reference them to something readily available for a reasonable cost....
I agree. But the guys at FindPigtails.com have a catalog of lots of electrical connectors from a single source at what I believe is a reasonable cost. I've asked the tech rep that I spoke with to add the XK8 to his on-site search pages (at least for the PPS connector). But with the help of the members of this and other XK8 forums we should be able to compile a list of a number of connectors from FIndPigtails.com and get them incorporated into their webpage. It will make sourcing connectors for our cars MUCH easier.

Just an idea. (I am NOT affiliated with FindPigtails.com nor do I have any financial interest it them. Full disclosure.)

Jon89 (03-05-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

Great idea. Being able to quickly locate and order most of the hard-to-find electrical connectors and harnesses for these cars at a reasonable cost from a single source would be ideal....

Old 09-15-2021, 11:31 AM
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

TropicCat, Did you install this connector, and did this connector fit properly?

Old 09-17-2021, 08:06 AM
Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts
Default This could be it.

I assume the connector is the one on the TB, 4 pin. Mine literally crumbled when working on my 2000. I found the replacement at Ballenger Mortor sports. I did not use a pigtail as the old connector disintegrated and I just pinned the new connector. The connector is made by Sumitomo. The electical system is mostly Nippondenso. Some xk8 connectors are also used on Toyota and Lexus so you may see that as the application.

kstevusa (09-17-2021)
Old 01-27-2022, 03:35 PM
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

My PPS connector broke while disconnecting…so I ordered this same connector. We you able to remove the wires from the broken connector and insert into the new one or did you solder and splice. I would prefer not to splice…
1999 XK8

Old 01-27-2022, 04:30 PM
Default Not a "pig tail"

Originally Posted by galearmstrong
My PPS connector broke while disconnecting…so I ordered this same connector. We you able to remove the wires from the broken connector and insert into the new one or did you solder and splice. I would prefer not to splice…
1999 XK8
Yes the old conector was so brittle I was able to just crush it and remove the pins and cables with out any damage. If I recal I just used a pair of pliers to break it up. You cannot use a pigtail. you need a fresh unpinned connector. Just remember the pin order.

galearmstrong (01-27-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 05:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by TropicCat
I discovered that the parts were discontinued. That was the point of my post. You can NOW acquire NEW connector housings for these cars without going through a salvage yard and hoping you can get a part that is serviceable. I'm psyched that I can now find NEW connector housings. The salvaged part cost me $50. The new part (including new 10" wire pigtails pre-crimped with new pins) only cost me $80 with 2 day shipping. It's a great service. Given how susceptible old connector housing are to cracking when you remove/install them to fix anything on the car it's great to now have a source for NEW connector housings.

I guess I'm the only one who finds this exceptional.
Great and needed resource!
Thank you for sharing this!

galearmstrong (01-28-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 08:51 AM
Default I think this is it

Originally Posted by galearmstrong
1999 XK8
I think this is what you need, it has been a while since i did it. $5 Ballenger Motor Sports on line. 4 Way SSC Sensor Plug Connector Toyota # 90980-10711,