Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New XK8 LSx Conversion Gallery

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 07:01 AM
Sponsor
Received 362 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Current Generation LS into XJ8/XK8, and 6 speed Manual Trans XK8

Thanks for bringing that up- I should've posted an update.

We did indeed work with a customer using a 2010 Camaro LS3 and 6L80E trans, and the project came our great. The key piece was developing a new interface that did the GM-CAN to Jag-CAN communication and after some effort it is working well. The customer has had this engine package in the car and running now for some 6+ months and loves it

So now we have the capability for early LS and late LS engines into these cars. Our next project is to square away the 2005-2007 or so versions of the GM-LAN cars so we can use the GTO or Corvette LS2's as is (with original control architecture) for the Jag installations.

On a side note, the manual trans version of the XK8-LS kit is nearly done and we are ready to begin testing on a real car. The details/design/prototyping of a proper clutch pedal with a hydraulic master cylinder are complete as are shifter details and transmission mounting. The shift lever comes out in the stock location (of the original automatic shifter). This version will use the T56 (6 speed manual) transmission which should make for quite the package. We already have a creampuff 98 XK8 convert here for the project- just now looking around for a good used drivetrain to bolt into it. Stay tuned on that one....

Thanks

Andrew
Jaguar Speciaties

Last edited by JaguarSpecialties; 01-26-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:19 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow your really on point with this. I can't wait to my manual xk rolling!!!!

Old 01-27-2013, 06:31 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts
Default Pictures and/or shop name?

[QUOTE=JaguarSpecialties;664089]Thanks for bringing that up- I should've posted an update.

"We did indeed work with a customer using a 2010 Camaro LS3 and 6L80E trans, and the project came our great. The key piece was developing a new interface that did the GM-CAN to Jag-CAN communication and after some effort it is working well. The customer has had this engine package in the car and running now for some 6+ months and loves it"

Boy it sure would be great to see some pictures of this. Seems to me he was having it done, it would be nice to know what shop he used in case I want to go down that same path. Thanks

Old 01-28-2013, 09:11 PM
Sponsor
Default LS3 into XK8/XJ8

Honestly, there is nothing really earth shaking about this install. This particular customer decided to keep the stock LS3 accessory drive and use the (6- speed) automatic transmission) that came with the engine, and had to tweak our mechanical parts to work. The real key here is again the interface- in this case a different type than on the earlier LS installs, and again our company is the only one able to do this.

For you, in California, all of this could be done as well. The only wildcard I see here is how the BAR smog referee would inspect and approve this sort of installation. They are not used to seeing engine as new as these in conversions, and that should be investigated first.

There are shops in the Northern California area what would take this on. If you're seriously interested, get in touch with me offline.

Thanks

Andrew
jaguar Specialties

Old 09-14-2013, 11:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How does the stock rear-end hold up to the additional torque? Should the conversion include a different rear end?

Old 09-15-2013, 07:19 AM
Sponsor
Default Jag rearend and LS conversions

So far we have not had any problems with the stock rears in these cars, nor have any of our customers. including several running pretty warmed over LS engines (one is close to LS6 output),

One interesting thing to note is that due to the way we handle the driveshafts in the conversion, we are able to use differentials from earlier XJ6/XJR models (95-97). That allows a wider variety of gears, and even a posi option on some. For example, my own new 99 VDP runs a diff from a 97 VDP that has 3.58 gears (not posi on this one- too bad), which should make a big difference over the stock 3.08. The diffs themselves are very similar, with one significant change that we deal with in the driveshaft installation- the input to the diff on the early models is offset to one side, while the XJ8/XK8 pieces all have a center input. You can see some pics of that on our website- on the home page is a link to that new 99 VDP car's own page with pics etc.,.

I hope that's helpful- let me know if you have any questions....

Thanks
Andrew
Jaguar Specialties

Last edited by JaguarSpecialties; 09-15-2013 at 09:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jeff in Tucson (09-15-2013)
Old 09-15-2013, 08:42 AM
Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by XKRacer
I would want to fit an LS7....
Why not get a Vette that already has an LS7/427 in it? I have a '07 Z06 like the one pictured here and love it. Yeah, I know, the Jag is a prettier car and has a nicer interior. But performance-wise, the Z06 with 505 hp in a car weighing approx 3130 lbs is far better than in an XK8 weighing approx 3900 to 4000 lbs. YMMV.

Attached Thumbnails New XK8 LSx Conversion Gallery-z06-033.jpg  

Last edited by Norm 427; 09-15-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:39 AM
Sponsor
Default I think you answered your own question..........

Nicer car, better interior, and also unique combination of power and style.

With all due respect, Corvettes are everywhere, but this is something very different....

(Aren't all Z06's hardtops as well??)

Jeff in Tucson (09-15-2013)
Old 09-15-2013, 11:30 AM
Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts

If I hadn't found AVos and gone that route, I would have done a conversion like this one. These conversions are COOL.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:52 PM
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

I would love to be rid of that turd-box ZF 6hp26 tranny in my 03 XKR! Your V/8 manual conversion sounds right down my alley. Can you guys imagine how much more close to perfection our cars would be with a real "hand-shaker" in the tunnel?

Please keep us posted, Andrew.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm 427
Why not get a Vette that already has an LS7/427 in it? I have a '07 Z06 like the one pictured here and love it. Yeah, I know, the Jag is a prettier car and has a nicer interior. But performance-wise, the Z06 with 505 hp in a car weighing approx 3130 lbs is far better than in an XK8 weighing approx 3900 to 4000 lbs. YMMV.

Originally Posted by JaguarSpecialties
Nicer car, better interior, and also unique combination of power and style.

With all due respect, Corvettes are everywhere, but this is something very different....

I am with Andrew on this one....... It is the uniqueness I would want.... (is that even a word???)

Old 09-17-2013, 10:44 AM
Sponsor
Default 6-Speed Manual Trans XK8 conversion is coming....

Maybe I forgot to mention it, but we are working on a 6 speed manual trans version of the XK8 LS conversion right now. All of the hard work is done- new pedal arrangement has been prototyped and successfully tested (with a clutch pedal that swings from the firewall, just like the brake), shifter position in the same location as the automatic selector, and otherwise indistinguishable from factory. The actual running car will be going together in the next few weeks- it's a creampuff 98 XK8 convert and will be getting a 2002 Camaro LS1/6speed.

These parts will become a kit for sale for any XK8 owner, and will require no fabrication.....

Stay tuned......

Old 09-17-2013, 11:05 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What everyone is forgetting is that the xk8 is a GT and is kinda an uneven comparison to the corvette, a sports car. When I was considering another car it was in between an e39 m5, 996 c4s, c6 corvette (all cars available with a manual). I stumble across Andrews site and saw that he was developing a t56 ls1 conversion, and my choice was a no brainer. Proper GT with a proper manual. The GT has died, every thing is a sports car, and there all about the numbers, alot are AWD now. The only other GT'S are Aston Martins. Can't wait until the kit is finished!!

Old 09-20-2013, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

I am looking at doing this conversion. Is the 6sp conversion complete and avail, at an extra cost? I was looking at the ls1 or ls2 from the GTo as a transplant. Can I use that man trans?
Anyone one done this conversion that can speak to it's ease in doing it? What are the mechanical parts that come with the kit? How is the drive shaft handled? Motor mounts? wiring kit? Does the GM computer work with the Jag Computer to allow the car to run? If engine lights get thrown down the road, which system are you looking at for the issues??
DEATAILS please.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:02 AM
Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JaguarSpecialties

Corvettes aren't exactly everywhere, Toyotas and F-150s are everywhere, but Vettes are a lot more common than the Jags.

BTW, the LSx engines are everywhere so why put an everywhere-engine in a luxurious, sophisticated Jag? The engine is made by lowly Chebby, cam-in-block, 2 valve engine dating back to prehistoric times ... (I'll answer that question: because the LSx engines are lightweight, compact powerhouses + they're reliable as gravity and reasonably priced.)

(I'm just having fun here ... tongue in cheek ... I like my Z06 Vette and my 2 Jags.)

Yes, all Z06s are hardtops and for good reasons.

I agree w a poster that most Vettes (except the automatic convertible perhaps) and Jag XKs are in two different leagues. Now that Jag has the F-Type, a true sports car, I've read that Jag will probably move the next generation XK more into the GT arena.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 514 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by notopm3
Dear Lord, what color is that? Spectacular!
I swear it looks like metallic wrap!

Old 09-21-2013, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

As written by Norm
Corvettes aren't exactly everywhere
I'll have to disagree with on that. with around 500,000 made between 1996 and present they are everywhere. I can see between fifteen and twenty a day driving around in the summer in my area not counting the fifty or so on the Chevy Dealers lot. Pull up to a busy intersection on a summer week end and you'll see four or five. Just in my addition my neighbor across the court owns two, the neighbor in the next court owns one and there's four more in the addition( about 60 homes) I think there are under 20 XK8's,XKR's and XK's in our metropolitan area of about 350,000. I'll see about 6 or 7 a year.

blindside (09-18-2019)
Old 09-21-2013, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member

I live in Cincy, I see WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more Vettes on a daily basis then any Xk8's or the newer replacements of them since.

dfbender (12-19-2020)
Old 09-21-2013, 05:02 PM
Sponsor
Default Calrifying the conversion

Just to clarify- the original Jag engine and trans control computers are gone from the car. In their place is our interface module which translates engine date from the new GM ECM to the Jag chassis. The GM ECM runs basically on its own and we can scan or tune it just like you might do in any Corvette or Camaro. The conversion has NO EFFECT on any running characteristics of the LS engine. Also, our interface will display the in-dash Jaguar check engine light when the GM ECM detects a fault.

I don't want to overload the forum here with loads of details- anyone who is interested in this conversion should get in touch with us directly for more info (408 839 5569 ( 8am to 6pm California time)

Thanks

Andrew

Originally Posted by brgjag
I am looking at doing this conversion. Is the 6sp conversion complete and avail, at an extra cost? I was looking at the ls1 or ls2 from the GTo as a transplant. Can I use that man trans?
Anyone one done this conversion that can speak to it's ease in doing it? What are the mechanical parts that come with the kit? How is the drive shaft handled? Motor mounts? wiring kit? Does the GM computer work with the Jag Computer to allow the car to run? If engine lights get thrown down the road, which system are you looking at for the issues??
DEATAILS please.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member

Overload the forums? Your site does not even say what the kit has in it? You can't give up that info? Sites that convert Miata's to LS motors for instance tell you everything you get. Boooo give it up man. Ha ha ha

Quick Reply: New XK8 LSx Conversion Gallery