XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

New XK8 Owner: Before and After Pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 09:37 PM
Received 49 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Jandreu
Nice save and to find it in Hawaii to boot, major score. Photo is in Kaneohe, you live on the Windward side?
Yes, Windward Oahu. Only a convertible will do for me here and i can't imagine a nicer one than the XK8.

Kaneohe bay

Old 04-10-2015, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by jamdmyers
Great Work, it's good to see yet another person taking care to keep these cats alive and on the road.. Good luck with your future mods and post pics !

?? Did you need to use adapters on the rims ??
Adapters, no. Spacers yes. The hub is slightly wider than the center of the wheel but i plan on widening the wheel with a metal hole saw.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
Looks great!

No tensioner replacement on the 'Mods to date' or 'Future Plans' lists ......?

Graham
Should have added the tensioners in future mods list. With such a low mileage car it makes sense.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by 80sRule
+1. Usually more expensive grand touring cars were sold in very nice, pretty, conservative colors. No Yellow or bright Orange. I think the most outrageous color was Salsa Red, and a nice regular red isn't really outrageous at all!

When I've looked at Corvettes, sometimes I found a nice car and then it was a god awful color like Yellow or Aqua. Most of these nicer luxury cars don't have a bad color and I like that! It's also amazed me that on the X100 and X308, the vast majority of the factory wheels are extremely good looking. Some people consider the Revolver kind of ugly, but honestly, if that's the "worst" looking, it's still quite nice.

I really like the Double Fives and Pentas I have on my cars and have no desire whatsoever to change them (and I like $$$ in my hand!). The Monarch wheels the OP has are quite nice though. I like the deep dish in the back a lot.
pentas would have been my first choice but they are only available on the mainland and run close to $800 - $1000 per wheel if you can find them. When these showed up on Craigslist I took the risk but I'm happy with the results.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 601 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by jobagadonuts
Adapters, no. Spacers yes. The hub is slightly wider than the center of the wheel but i plan on widening the wheel with a metal hole saw.
Just curious as I have new wheels on the way with 72.6 hubs and the Jag takes 74.1. So will be boring out the hub by 1.5 mm to fit the hub centric design.

When you used the spacers did you use the stock flat lug nuts or cone shaped lug nuts. Any issue with vibration on the wheels?

Yelp I'm on Maui and my car does not leave the drive way with the top up, great convertible weather here in Hawaii. Some folks say it's to hot during the day for the top down but I say they are just sissy's.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Jobaga - It might be just me trying to get my head around this, its 3.53am here and about to head off to bed
You mention that " the hub is slightly wider than the centre of the wheel"

From that I assume that they don't fit "exactly?"
You say you used spacers, are these hubcentric spacers? There will be a small lip on the spacers and a recess that makes up the difference for a really nice secure fit, I have them on my Audi A6

If not, that would mean you simply have the plain "washer type" spacer with holes drilled but just a plain flat surface, is this the case?

If so, your wheels are only held on by the bolts, it can cause wheel wobble at speed / cornering due to the stresses involved as all the weight is taken by the bolts.
Please put my mind at rest asap and advise that's not the case.

See below hubcentric wheel spacers showing the recess and lip that allows the spacer to fit snugly onto the hub and the wheel to fit tightly onto the spacer

Not this generic plain washer type?

Best
Jim

Old 04-10-2015, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by 01Silverstone
Great transformation- glad you rescued it!
I've been watching too much Wheeler Dealer!

Old 04-10-2015, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by tberg
That car is gorgeous, great job! Make sure that the first thing on your to do list is replacing the secondary plastic tensioners with upgraded metal ones as others have previously stated. If you do that first, you won't be using that Corvette engine anytime soon. I almost lost my engine because of my assumption that it had been done by the previous owner, and I got lucky. I will pass 160,000 very soon, and it runs smoother and stronger than when I bought it.

Enjoy your beautiful "new" car.
Did you replace the tensioners yourself and at what mileage?

Old 04-11-2015, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by tberg
That car is gorgeous, great job! Make sure that the first thing on your to do list is replacing the secondary plastic tensioners with upgraded metal ones as others have previously stated. If you do that first, you won't be using that Corvette engine anytime soon. I almost lost my engine because of my assumption that it had been done by the previous owner, and I got lucky. I will pass 160,000 very soon, and it runs smoother and stronger than when I bought it.

Enjoy your beautiful "new" car.

Do I have to buy the entire kit with new chain, etc? or just replace the tensioners themselves?

Old 04-11-2015, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by JimC64
Jobaga - It might be just me trying to get my head around this, its 3.53am here and about to head off to bed
You mention that " the hub is slightly wider than the centre of the wheel"

From that I assume that they don't fit "exactly?"
You say you used spacers, are these hubcentric spacers? There will be a small lip on the spacers and a recess that makes up the difference for a really nice secure fit, I have them on my Audi A6

If not, that would mean you simply have the plain "washer type" spacer with holes drilled but just a plain flat surface, is this the case?

If so, your wheels are only held on by the bolts, it can cause wheel wobble at speed / cornering due to the stresses involved as all the weight is taken by the bolts.
Please put my mind at rest asap and advise that's not the case.

See below hubcentric wheel spacers showing the recess and lip that allows the spacer to fit snugly onto the hub and the wheel to fit tightly onto the spacer

Not this generic plain washer type?

Best
Jim

I've got the washer type but was planning on milling about a 1/16" out of the center of the wheels to mount them properly. Thanks for the advise.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jandreu
Just curious as I have new wheels on the way with 72.6 hubs and the Jag takes 74.1. So will be boring out the hub by 1.5 mm to fit the hub centric design.

When you used the spacers did you use the stock flat lug nuts or cone shaped lug nuts. Any issue with vibration on the wheels?

Yelp I'm on Maui and my car does not leave the drive way with the top up, great convertible weather here in Hawaii. Some folks say it's to hot during the day for the top down but I say they are just sissy's.

I'll be boring the center this weekend. It rides like crap also due to the fact that my upper front shock mounts are dust.

Love my new Jag. I know I'm not going to pull up to another at the stop light (and did I mention the top goes down?).

Old 04-11-2015, 10:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 601 Likes on 446 Posts

I'll be boring the center this weekend. It rides like crap also due to the fact that my upper front shock mounts are dust.

Love my new Jag. I know I'm not going to pull up to another at the stop light (and did I mention the top goes down?).
Be sure to let us know how the wheel boring works out.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. Nice redo and love those wheels. My XK8 remains stock to the core. If I see you roaming the streets of Honolulu, I will give you a toot.

Old 04-12-2015, 01:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

I bought the whole kit, primary, secondary tensioners, gaskets, bolts, and timing chains, etc. One tensioner and a timing chain broke upon start up one morning, so I had everything changed out. I had over 100,000 miles on the car at the time, but the brittleness of the plastic is as much related to age as mileage, and you are at risk everytime you start your engine. I believe the whole kit was about $600.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:49 AM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

She is beautiful, you should be proud. Enjoy it.

Last time in Hawaii, I drove all around in a Camaro Conv. I will be back. Rich

Old 04-14-2015, 06:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

one of the nicest looking XK8s I've ever seen. Excellent!