XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Newbie question - scratched supercharger, ummm, bits

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 02:45 AM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Question Newbie question - scratched supercharger, ummm, bits

Hello folks,

first Jag and first "real" post here so please try and be tolerant of obvious signs of automotive illiteracy.

I'm curious as to the provenance of the scratch marks on what I believe to be the supercharger induction manifolds and the, errr, bit with the "V8" on it. They are obviously caused by friction against the hood/bonnet insulation material and I know mine is not the only car exhibiting this phenomenon. They can even be seen in a photo on page 21 of my SNG Barratt catalog

A recent post here mentions the scratching and goes on to say something about a "compromised motor mount," which sounds a bit ominous

I can live with the cosmetic aspect, for now, anyway. Question is, should I be worried about engine mounting? Is the engine gonna fall out or something?

TIA for your input.

Attached Thumbnails Newbie question - scratched supercharger, ummm, bits-image00001.jpg   Newbie question - scratched supercharger, ummm, bits-image00002.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (11-07-2014)
Old 11-07-2014, 03:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by JagNoir
Hello folks,

first Jag and first "real" post here so please try and be tolerant of obvious signs of automotive illiteracy.

I'm curious as to the provenance of the scratch marks on what I believe to be the supercharger induction manifolds and the, errr, bit with the "V8" on it. They are obviously caused by friction against the hood/bonnet insulation material and I know mine is not the only car exhibiting this phenomenon. They can even be seen in a photo on page 21 of my SNG Barratt catalog

A recent post here mentions the scratching and goes on to say something about a "compromised motor mount," which sounds a bit ominous

I can live with the cosmetic aspect, for now, anyway. Question is, should I be worried about engine mounting? Is the engine gonna fall out or something?

TIA for your input.
eliminates the coating of the bonnet. will do well to the aesthetics and help cooling

Old 11-07-2014, 05:07 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

pretty normal as far as I'm aware. I have exactly the same wear on mine, and she's been going 14 years without the engine falling out

Old 11-07-2014, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,108 Likes on 764 Posts

The motor mounts are a sort of hydraulic damper. The fluid leaks out when they get old letting the engine rock more than normal which exacerbates the marks.

They don't fail in the engine comes flying out sense.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:21 AM

Ah. So that explains that sideways/rotational rocking motion of the engine when revving. I'm relieved. Nothing like information.
As for ditching the insulation, I see your point. Think I'll stick with it for now though - only just got over the backache from cleaning the silly thing.
Thanks for the answers.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Only comment I have on the insulation is it also protects the paint from excessive heat.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:44 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have exactly the same scratches, and engine mounts collapsed ( now no more....)

Old 11-08-2014, 05:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

I have removed the insulation on quite a few Rs......especially after the things I do to them

The following users liked this post:
User 070620 (11-17-2014)
Old 11-09-2014, 04:54 PM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JagNoir
Ah. So that explains that sideways/rotational rocking motion of the engine when revving. I'm relieved. Nothing like information.
As for ditching the insulation, I see your point. Think I'll stick with it for now though - only just got over the backache from cleaning the silly thing.
Thanks for the answers.
Hi, I'm the compromised engine mount guy. As previously mentioned in this thread, it just means that the mount split or cracked and leaked out all the damper fluid. It's normal for the engine to "torque" on the mounts, even when they are ok. The clearance under the XKR hood is so tight that it seems that the insulation can rub under the best of circumstances. BTW, I'm in the "keeping my hood insulation" camp. Texas summers are hard enough to on the paint as it is without adding the extra engine heat.

Rgds, Fred

Last edited by newXKRguy; 11-09-2014 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:49 AM

Hi Fred,

and thanks for the additional clarification - and the contribution to my automotive vocabulary. From now on I will nonchalantly refer to the engine "torquing" and may even be able to fool someone into thinking I know what I'm talking about

Got your - and Jandreus - point too on protecting the bonnet paintwork, even here in the temperate North. As per an earlier reply, I had only considered how ditching the insulation might help dissipate some of all that heat from our remarkably hot-running engines. I mean motors. No, engines.

Think I'll stick with the insulation and let it torque away.

In any case, that's a fantastic job you have done on your engine bay! I've gotten a ways with judiciously applying engine cleaner, then following up with water, both with a brush and finishing with vinyl and rubber cleaner for sheen. Nowehere near where you are at, though. Maybe someday...

Thanks all. Cheers,
Per