XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Newbie - XK8 Headlamp moisture

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 10:36 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I doubt its the glass or the seal (unless they're damaged). Try drilling a couple of 6-8mm vent holes in the 4" transparent plastic cover that you access the bulbs through and that should prevent/clear 90% of the condensation.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:15 PM
Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

A trick I have used on other cars with this problem (not tried it on the Jag) is to remove the bulb and thoroughly dry out the headlamp of any moisture with a hair dryer, then replace the bulb. This doesn't provide a permanent cure, but is quick and simple and can last for months if not years.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,364 Likes on 2,854 Posts

Another quick fix is to remove the two plastic oval bulb hatches and allow the vehicle to sit in the sun for a few hours. I realize that may be impossible if you live in England....

Old 01-27-2013, 11:16 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I removed the oval hatches about a year ago and never replaced them. For the record there is no debris in there after all that time. (except a spider carcass that thought it was a good place to hide).

one head light will actually fill 1/4" with water when we get torrential rains. But its not because of the hatch. When it happens I pull the car up a steep driveway and it drains backwards

Old 05-06-2013, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 515 Likes on 333 Posts

Insane over the moisture issue in my headlamps. I had noticed it the day after I bought it so I took off the rear and top headlight covers and let the hair dryer blow it out for about 45 mins on each side. Seemed to do the trick but once in a while it returns a faint bit.
Since I took light out to install the led rings, seems they fog more. I was very careful to put the gaskets back in perfectly but.........
Any new suggestions out there???

Old 05-07-2013, 06:44 AM
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by philhef
Insane over the moisture issue in my headlamps. I had noticed it the day after I bought it so I took off the rear and top headlight covers and let the hair dryer blow it out for about 45 mins on each side. Seemed to do the trick but once in a while it returns a faint bit.
Since I took light out to install the led rings, seems they fog more. I was very careful to put the gaskets back in perfectly but.........
Any new suggestions out there???

Short term - just pop the cover off and let the car sit in the garage overnight. Should be dry in the AM.

Long term - drill a (small) hole in the cover to let moisture escape.

The following users liked this post:
peekaboo (07-14-2014)
Old 05-07-2013, 07:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Originally Posted by BurgXK8
Short term - just pop the cover off and let the car sit in the garage overnight. Should be dry in the AM.

Long term - drill a (small) hole in the cover to let moisture escape.

The TSB is here: http://www.jagrepair.com/images/TSB/XK8/417-05.pdf
thanks to Gus of jagrepair.com. There is an inexpensive vent tube available from the dealer if you want to do it 'by the book'.

The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
dsd (01-18-2017), tommyzr (01-01-2014)
Old 05-08-2013, 11:51 AM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

BRGJAG had the right idea. I have used tit as a permanent fix. I didn't remove the oval cover completely ( there is a chance for water and dirt to get inside). I just lifted the side closest to the engine. Just enough so air can enter and escape. For the past 5 years I have not had a problem with moisture build up. I drive my '98 XK8 conver. 12K a year. Jack

The following 2 users liked this post by pophen:
peekaboo (07-14-2014), tommyzr (01-01-2014)
Old 01-01-2014, 01:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've found that by choosing the right automatic car wash or washing my XK8 myself, I do not get moisture in either of the headlamps. Also by putting my wife's small hair dryer in the, removed, clear plastic access ovalish hole on top of the assembly, it'll clear the moisture in about 10 min. .... temp on low!!! Make sure temp of dryer on low or just blowing ambient temperature air into the headlamp assembly. I have not tried drilling the vent hole yet but may. Wish I could learn of the source of these "sealed" headlamps. My XK8 coupe is a 2005 edition.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:36 PM
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Drilled a 25mm hole in my plastic cover with a hole saw...never seen any fog in the lamp since.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate the advice. Used a hair dryer set on low to clean out the moisture.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:21 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

I attempted to clean a water stain from the main area of the headlight. The chrome finish came off. Not so good! Gus is correct - do not attempt cleaning - either put up with the stain or replace the headlight. I replaced the headlight.
The Chrome finish is a micro-thin on plastic - not hardy enough to for any rubbing. The space is pretty much sealed on 80 percent with a small hole to accommodate the headlight - very difficult to access. I did cover my mistake by brushing the area with Chrome paint as a temporary measure. For a perfectionist - forget about it! Possibly with better results than brushing - with a great deal of skill and patience one could mask off the areas of the lens then spray it - hardly worth the trouble, though since headlights a readily available.

I hope my mistake helps another from making the same error.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:27 AM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I used a couple of silica gel packets dropped in the rear of the headlight. Dried them up in no time and they have stayed dry .

The following 3 users liked this post by Davidsw:
Bikergonebald (02-01-2022), slipup (03-15-2015), Terry Young (09-30-2014)
Old 09-29-2014, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,364 Likes on 2,854 Posts

I remove the clear plastic access covers and either park the car in the sunshine for a couple of hours or use one of our heavy-duty canine hair dryers for about ten minutes....

The following users liked this post:
Terry Young (09-30-2014)
Old 12-24-2015, 06:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there specific part number for rubber seal only, from picture above?

Old 12-25-2015, 12:01 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

The rubber seal comes with a replacement head lamp. Unless the original seal is completely trashed it can be recondutioned and reused. Silicon grease lightly applied will help recondition the seal since it is made out of rubber.
The T pipe vent assembly is available from Terry's Jaguar Parts (no relation) this will take you directly to the site and part.
Lje 4133aa
The proceedure to install is part iss illistrated in one of the previous messages. Just take your time and proceed carefully.
If you want to remove the head lamp there are three bolts. Two on top. Remove one (on top) and loosen the second one that is toward the inside of the engine bay. That is also the relative location of the T pipe. The third bolt is accessable from the wheel well. Remove the wheel well cowling and the fog lamp assembly. Tis will give you better access to the third bolt. Spray the five star head bolt with penatrating fluid - and don't get carried away and get it all over the head lamp - just the bolt. With great care loosen the third bolt. If you are replacing the head lamp it will not matter if the bold anchor breaks or you trash the bolt in the process. But if you are removing and replacing the same head lamp save the broken peices. Reassemble and epoxy with a product that will hold it peices together substanually enought to snug the bolt. The molding of the headlamp holds a brass receiver nut. I had some luck with epoxy A&B but if you have gone this far spend the 300 bucks and install a new head lamp. Nothin' to it! Don't forget to realign the head lamp height if necessary.
Some folks I've talked to indicate the third bold always breaks off so beware purchasing a inexpensive head lamp that may have been repaired. Two top bolts are not enough to hold the head lamp in place or align the seam with the front fender or nose. Good luck!

Old 12-25-2015, 02:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I took care of the moisture in the headlight issue real quick ! ... I traded for a newer Jag XK.
I also, but never installed them, 2 rubber vent doohickies that fit on the headlight housing stub you need to drill a hole in for them to work. I was too lazy to drill the holes in my '05 XK8. They are available through a Jaguar dealer - cheapest part you'll probably ever buy for your Jag.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:01 PM
Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

On my new to me 97 both seals are more or less gone. I can only guess that is a single piece that I see dangling from one head light. Fills the gap between head light and fender, and I assume is sandwiched in between the lens and light housing.

As Tarlan asked is there anyone selling just the seals?

If someone has one or part of one a picture would be great, maybe I could source a substitute auto molding I could use.

Last edited by TexMurphy; 02-28-2016 at 10:19 PM. Reason: add
Old 04-03-2016, 05:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A different fix for headlamp condensation

I occasionally get headlamp condensation after rain. I typically just remove the inspection covers and let the lights dry out with the car in a warm spot for a few hours. I recently tried dropping a couple of silica gel packets in each light housing. These are those little white packets you find in electronics packaging, comically labelled "Do Not Eat". You can get them from Amazon or any decent packaging supply. The 25 gram size is good. We just did a week long road trip with plenty of rain and no condensation. Unconventional I know, but it appears to work

Old 10-18-2016, 11:38 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I loosened the ovoid shaped cover on one light last night and that's cured the mist whilst the other remains misty which I left alone. Sort of proves it's a ventilation issue. I will drop a sachet of silica gel down each one later.

Quick Reply: Newbie - XK8 Headlamp moisture