Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nikasil Paranoia

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: Nikasil Paranoia

This has helped Nikasil engines a million, but ultimately we aren't sure exactly how much.

"Beginning in January of 2004, refiners and importers began to supply lower sulfur gasoline for use in new cleaner Tier 2 vehicles.Gasoline sulfur levels will be phased down by about 90 percent of the levels in 2003, and earlier by the time the three-year phase-in of this program is complete.With the introduction of low-sulfur gasoline, the gap between the emissions benefits of conventional gasoline and cleaner burning gasoline, like RFG, has shrunk considerably."

Source http://www.api.org/aboutoilgas/gasol...ine-octane.cfm

Old 02-16-2008, 11:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your father must be a bright, insightful man.

"He often said they (Jags) are much like a beautiful woman that you can not resist that is high maintenance and always knows how to be a pain in the ***."

I also live in NC (Winston Salem), have had concerns about Nikasil, and wonder what brand of fuel to use. I have a 97 Carnival Red XK8. I have had the tensioners replaced, always allow a full warm up, and have chosed to use BP 93 octane for no reasonably coherant thought process other than I believe that it's high quality fuel and a British engine might enjoy drinking British Petrol.

I think that if you're doing these things, you're doing all that you can. Now, it's time to stop worrying about the car and keep enjoying it. If my engine blows up, I'll replace it with a cast iron sleeved engine and keep driving it every pretty day I can.

I first saw the XK8 in person at the London Motor Show in 1999 when I was studying at Oxford. I stopped and stared for 20 minutes thinking, "This is the most gorgeous automobile that I have seen in my life." I still grin when I think about actually having the fortune to own one. It is the first car I have owned that I have no intention of ever selling.

We should have a NC XK meeting sometime.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:24 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,150 Likes on 753 Posts

ORIGINAL: tonycottrell

<snip> and have chosen to use BP 93 octane for no reasonably coherant thought process other than I believe that it's high quality fuel and a British engine might enjoy drinking British Petrol.
[sm=signs007.gif] Hey, can't argue with that kind of logic.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:49 AM
Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts

Lol...I think that BP is now from somewhere other than Britain. Possibly the car will enjoy petrol paid for with British pounds. BP is a good gas. All preference at the endof the day. I personally don't care for contributing to exxon mobils profit margin any more. Chevron also good.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

What a bummer! We don't even have BP stations here. Their refinery blows up a lot though.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:25 PM
Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts

LOL

Old 09-21-2009, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

I would add to this thread information on the closing date of the Nikasil engines so it can effectively be added to a new FAQ link.

The first engine serial number with steel cylinder linings is 0008181043, which translates to August 18, 2000.

If your car was built somewhat after that date you probably have steel lined cylinders.

The only way to positively know is to verify the engine serial number.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:15 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,702 Posts

The 1043 is the time of day 10:43am and that (0008181043) was the first steel lined AJ-48 that came off the production line.

Gus

Old 09-21-2009, 09:03 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

All fuels now can not have a sulphur content of more than 30 PPM. So what brand of gasoline you buy really doesn't have too much bearing on sulphur content. Regardless of what brand you buy it probably all came from the same fuel bank in your area. Gasoline companies buy fuel from fuel banks, that is why you will see Chevron, Shell (BP), Mobil etc trucks all in line at the same fuel bank waiting to get filled. You wonder what's the difference, it's the additivies in the tankers that are different. The additivies get mixed with the raw gasoline while being delivered to the gas station. There is a tremendous difference in the additiives from brand to brand.

High sulphur content fuels were an issue in the late 90's in some areas all the way up until 2002.

Nikasil is a very durable coating, nuch harder and longer wearing than a steel sleeve as long as it is not abused. Nikasil's enemies are heat and sulphur. As long as the motor has never been overheated and subjected to high sulphur fuels consistently it should give miles of trouble free service. There are many Jaguar nikasil motors still running today with over 200K miles on the clock. Porsche has used nikasil in their engines for years. Give a me well maintained nikasil motor over a sleeved motor any day.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:07 PM
Received 169 Likes on 84 Posts

Greetings!

I am still getting used to my 01 XKR, 69K miles, which was produced in June of 2000, so it does have Nykasil plating.
I have a bit of an issue here, my oil level slowly goes down. After about 2K miles oil went from absolute MAX on the dipstick to about 1/4" below.
Also, I do have slow leak on the front crank seal, which always leaves me new ~2" oil drip on the garage floor, when parked overnight, before that I had leaking valve cover gaskets, which I fixed about 1K miles ago. So oil consumption seems to be leak related, however few minutes ago I saw my wife pull out of driveway in XKR and when she took off, it blew a little puff of smoke from left pipe (resonator is removed and exhaust lines are not crossing). Puff was whitish and not bluish, like your typical oil smoke that stays in the air for a while, like a blue haze.
Motor runs perfect and had absolutely 0 vibration at idle, it is perfectly calm at red lights.
My questions is, whould I measure compression in left bank to see if I have cylinder issue, or it might be fuel related puff?
I am not easily freaked out about any car problem, but I do like to know your opinions.
Thank you!

Old 04-10-2011, 04:04 PM
Received 240 Likes on 160 Posts

White is water, blue is oil, black is fuel. A little white puff when cold or during high humidity is normal, usually condensation inside the exhaust steaming away. If it has a sweet smell and/or you're losing coolant it's probably a head gasket.

Several years ago GM, and later other OEMs, approached fuel retailers in order to develop certain base requirements for decent, consistent fuel supplies. Mostly to stave off excessive warranty/performance issues resulting from crap gas but also to help meet and maintain emissions standards. What was developed was/is known as 'Top Tier' fuels. I have no idea if the original companies that agreed to adhere to the standards continue to do so, if I recall correctly BP was on the list but no longer. It is surprising to see which brands are/are not on the list. See: Top Tier Gasoline to learn more.

Agree with Nikasil not being an issue. Do yourself and your engine a favor by using good fuel and not making short trips that don't allow the engine to warm up. Face it, if the trip is that short, why not just walk?

Old 04-10-2011, 04:40 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I think you are being overly concerned today. I would venture to say that all Jags use a little oil between changes and taking in consideration with the weather changes a little oil consumption is not unusual. As for the white puff that could be condensation from sitting overnight. You ask about Nikasil and are concerned if it is a problem. I did a lot of research on the subject and posted the results on my page and you are welcome to read it. A link to my page is also on the FAQ list at the bottom. I think it will provide you with a little peace of mind.

This is the link Nikasil

I hope this helps!

Old 04-10-2011, 05:01 PM
Received 169 Likes on 84 Posts

Wife just came back from shopping and I had her going up and down the street, hummering on gas pedal. Not a slightest hint of spoke, so I suppose that puff was a drip from one of the valve seals, or maybe some steam. BTW, cooling system is perfectly tight, antifeeze level is the same, ever since I replaceed intercooler pump.
Thank you guys!

Old 04-10-2011, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

Mish, stop worrying and enjoy your car. It's springtime. Put the top down and drive down to Keeneland next weekend and see some horse races. Watch everyone stare at you car. Have fun.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:04 PM
Received 240 Likes on 160 Posts

Or you could drive to Louisville for Thunder, but it's not looking like a top-down kind of weekend.

Quick Reply: Nikasil Paranoia