XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

no front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 10:22 PM
Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis07
Fixer,

On the run until tomorrow evening now. Back to you then (if the creek don't rise) ...
Thx!

Old 04-25-2014, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Fixer,

I thought I had photos from the installation on my '01 from a few years back, but no joy. If it would be of benefit, I'll get some from my current '03 in the next few days.

Pretty simple stuff actually. The plastic shell behind the plate is standard XK8 issue. I worked up a couple of curved brackets mimicking the shape of the apron to allow mounting holes to be placed way down low on the apron. Fender washers behind the mounting holes to as to spread out the load. Sized the brackets so the plate extends just the slightest bit below the apron. It's the lowest thing on the front of the car, but just barely.

Last edited by Dennis07; 04-25-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:27 PM

Fixer,

I thought I had photos from the installation on my '01 from a few years back, but no joy. If it would be of benefit, I'll get some from my current '03 in the next few days.

Pretty simple stuff actually. The plastic shell behind the plate is standard XK8 issue. I worked up a couple of curved brackets mimicking the shape of the apron to allow mounting holes to be placed way down low on the apron. Fender washers behind the mounting holes to as to spread out the load. Sized the brackets so the plate extends just the slightest bit below the apron. It's the lowest thing on the front of the car, but just barely.
It would be useful, if you get a chance. Interesting that you used the original XK8 plinth (looking at the photo you posted I could see there was a plinth in there, but assumed it was from some other vehicle).

I think I'll go out to the garage and see if I can it to fit in a similar way...

-Steve

Old 04-28-2014, 08:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all who have offered comments and welcomes to the forum. I confess that the site is still opaque to me - I have not figured out where the new member area is or how to negociate my way around the site at all. One respondent kindly suggested that I add some information, and I cannot even find that post again. I am a resident of Manhattan, recently purchased a second home in New Jersey, and found a pristine 2006 XK8 coupe, which is in storage, awaiting restoration of our home and barn. I posted a question about running with no front license plate, and hope to do so. I received many useful comments, which I hope to study and consider when I get settled finally this summer. Mercer County is rather rural in parts, and I do not plan to park my car in visible town locations, or commute with it, so it should be generally 'under the radar', with regard to police scrutiny. That said, it only takes one notice from the wrong pair of eyes to get stopped. Thanks again for the replies, and I look forward to figuring out the website in the future.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by thefixer
It would be useful, if you get a chance. Interesting that you used the original XK8 plinth (looking at the photo you posted I could see there was a plinth in there, but assumed it was from some other vehicle).

I think I'll go out to the garage and see if I can it to fit in a similar way...

-Steve
Sorry for the delay in posting these. Stuff happens. The pic from underneath is a bit blurry but clear enough (I hope) to show the position of the mounting holes ... they cannot be seen from a standing position.

Attached Thumbnails no front license plate-sth70812.jpg   no front license plate-sth70823.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
thefixer (04-30-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by zjdmm1
This might be an option for you as well... take a look at the link below

- Hide The Plate.com

I am in agreement with those folks who think the front plate on the XK8/XKR takes a lot away from the natural beauty. I don't know if I'm going the automatic or manual route but the "fold it out of sight" plate option definitely appeals to me. Currently my front plate and it's bracket are in the trunk.

I've had two of the electric remote versions and they last about 3 months. Get the manual version. While cool, the electric versions just don't last.

Mark

The following users liked this post:
zjdmm1 (04-29-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Hey,

I see that you are in Princeton. I'm in Hamilton.

As far as no front plate on your car. It really depends on the township. Hamilton, Lawrence, Trenton, and Ewing will not bother you. West Windsor is hit or miss. East Windsor and Robbinsville are gunning for stuff like that. That having been said my daily driver Range Rover has no front plate or provision for one - bought out of PA front bumper was never drilled. It also has tinted front windows. Knock on wood I drive it back and forth to New Brunswick every day, and no one has bothered me. Granted I also have enough PBA cards to where I'm not too concerned about it.

I've been stopped in my 911 turbo for having no front plate when I have been running it on my dealer tag. - Which only requires one plate per vehicle in the rear. It's all about the car, how it's being driven and what sort of attention you are drawing to yourself, but personally I wouldn't worry about it TOO much. Carry the plate in the rear - if a cop stops you tell him you bought it out of state and it didn't come with the plate bracket, and that you have the plate in the trunk. Most will just tell you to put it in the window and get it fixed. The other thing it may help you with is if you get pulled over for a moving violation and are polite enough to the officer where he writes you a no front plate displayed ticket instead of the moving violation.

Either way I wouldn't be worried about it. It's a basic ticket, no court or anything dumb in NJ. Since we no longer have any inspection besides emissions, you can roll through the inspection station with no front tag and they could care less.... It's not like the old days.

Congrats on the purchase and enjoy the car. Let me know if you need anything.

Take care,

George

Old 04-30-2014, 10:55 PM

Sorry for the delay in posting these. Stuff happens. The pic from underneath is a bit blurry but clear enough (I hope) to show the position of the mounting holes ... they cannot be seen from a standing position.
Thanks! Now I have another thing on my to-do list!

-Steve

Old 05-01-2014, 08:58 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mjlaris
I've had two of the electric remote versions and they last about 3 months. Get the manual version. While cool, the electric versions just don't last.

Mark
Same experience here. Tried it twice. Failed twice within a few months. get the manual retractable.