XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

No fuel tank ground strap

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 08:16 PM
Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Default No fuel tank ground strap

On my 2000 XK8 Coupe, I had the tank cover pulled away to access the fuel tank for draining the last bit through the fuel level sending unit port. I noticed there is no ground strap (or wire) as I saw in one thread on fuel tank removal. If I add a ground wire, (there is a hole in the tank flange for a connection) does it go to the filler location or to chassis ground or both ?

As a side note, there is a factory label on the tank that says "single fuel pump". Some folks seemed to wonder about whether there car had one or two pumps, although it seems to me it is obvious if you only have one fuel relay.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

It is the chassis ground strap, that is removed, so you aren't able to make a spark, unless you are using a steel tool, instead of a plastic, or brass one. The tank is bolted to the chassis. So if the chassis is grounded, so is the fuel tank.....Be cool....Mike

Old 11-11-2015, 09:56 AM
Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by mrplow58
It is the chassis ground strap, that is removed, so you aren't able to make a spark, unless you are using a steel tool, instead of a plastic, or brass one. The tank is bolted to the chassis. So if the chassis is grounded, so is the fuel tank.....Be cool....Mike
OK, I thought perhaps it was to ground the filler to the tank, perhaps related to grounding any static electricity buildup. Only bothered me because I saw the ground in a forum photo of tank removal process and mine just has an empty hole on the flange with no wire.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:28 AM
Received 105 Likes on 65 Posts

I once owned a vehicle that had what I would call a floating fuel filler neck. Isolated away from the body by a large circular grommet and connected to the tank with a flexible hose type fitting. It had a separate ground wire, too. If it bothers you, add it back in. Won't hurt anything. And, after owning a Corvette for nine years, I learned that bad/poor grounds were what usually caused issues with it. You wouldn't believe how many grounds a C4 Corvette has.......

Old 11-13-2015, 01:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

There should be a ground strap.

The charlatans who changed my fuel pumps left it off, along with
the padding etc.

I replaced it with one I had lying around. 5 minute job they couldn't
be bothered with.