XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

No transmission service needed, sez dealer.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 10:04 PM
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Just googled that number for the bolts and got to a ZF parts supplier. ZF also lists an ATF fluid too:

http://www.tsgparts.net/index.php?p=...=112&parent=28

I presume this is the Esso fluid?

Old 03-10-2010, 06:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,112 Likes on 933 Posts

It says it meets the LT 71141 specification. No telling who the refiner is. Could be any of several that now meet that specification.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

Thanks for the information Stevetech, this should help a lot. By the way, replacing the guide sleeve, is there anything tricky about it? It's funny , but I typically don't even trust the dealer on work like this, I would do it myself even if it was convenient to take it to the dealer. Dealers tend to put the new or low rate guy on oil changes and they often have spotty training and experience. Since you can't pick who is going to work on your car, you take pot luck.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:06 PM
Location: Marin County, CA, USA - Just north of San Francisco
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

What about a tech that wants to "flush" a trasnmission - pump in new fluid until all the old is out. Kinda expensive in fluid cost - but is is worth it? Thanks, DaleD

Old 03-11-2010, 06:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,112 Likes on 933 Posts

It allows you to replace most of the 10L of ATF at one time rather than only half at a time. The half at a time never really gets all the old oil out. Flushing is pretty normal for Ford/Chevy cars but few have reported finding shops that had the fittings necessary for the Jaguar.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:09 AM
Location: Marin County, CA, USA - Just north of San Francisco
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Is the same info good for all "flushing" - trans, power steering, cooling system, etc? Seems they all want to do it now instead of drain and refill. Thanks for the clue about the fittings - now I know to ask specifics. DaleD

Old 04-29-2010, 08:22 PM
Default flush

Originally Posted by test point
It allows you to replace most of the 10L of ATF at one time rather than only half at a time. The half at a time never really gets all the old oil out. Flushing is pretty normal for Ford/Chevy cars but few have reported finding shops that had the fittings necessary for the Jaguar.
Just had a word with an independent transmission shop who's done lots of Jags and other makes. He never flushes out the tranny during routine service, only drains what's in the pan, replaces the filter and tops off the rest. He said flushing the automatic is usually a bad idea and does more harm than good. Not sure the science behind this, but if true it could save $.

Old 08-29-2024, 01:45 PM
Received 159 Likes on 69 Posts

I was with an acquaintance of mine yesterday. He is a BMW & Mercedes master mechanic. I asked him about “lubed for life” regarding the ZF transmission, as it is used in BMWs. He asked me what I’d like the life to be, because after your tranny goes, the new one will get fresh oil. Also, he mentioned that simply draining the oil doesn’t get the majority of the oil out, and it needs to be pumped to get it out of the torque converter. So, that’ll be a task I’ll have a tranny shop do at 50K.

There is no science to not flushing the transmission. Why would it not be bad to leave in dirty/contaminated oil. Anyone that says that is just trying to avoid the extra work. .

Old 08-29-2024, 02:14 PM
Received 491 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by XKDreams
I was with an acquaintance of mine yesterday. He is a BMW & Mercedes master mechanic. I asked him about “lubed for life” regarding the ZF transmission, as it is used in BMWs. He asked me what I’d like the life to be, because after your tranny goes, the new one will get fresh oil. Also, he mentioned that simply draining the oil doesn’t get the majority of the oil out, and it needs to be pumped to get it out of the torque converter. So, that’ll be a task I’ll have a tranny shop do at 50K.

There is no science to not flushing the transmission. Why would it not be bad to leave in dirty/contaminated oil. Anyone that says that is just trying to avoid the extra work. .
I'm afraid that your "master mechanic" either does not actually know very much about ZF transmissions or you have misunderstood what he has told you.

Richard

Old 08-29-2024, 03:43 PM
Received 313 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by RichardS
I'm afraid that your "master mechanic" either does not actually know very much about ZF transmissions or you have misunderstood what he has told you.

Richard
I suspect you have made the misunderstanding. The mechanic was saying that 'sealed for life' means until the 'box fails (reaches the end of its life), which it will do due to not being serviced - one is limiting the life by not servicing it, so he was absolutely correct.

The following users liked this post:
Y2KJag (08-29-2024)
Old 08-29-2024, 04:21 PM
Received 491 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by bladerunner919
I suspect you have made the misunderstanding. The mechanic was saying that 'sealed for life' means until the 'box fails (reaches the end of its life), which it will do due to not being serviced - one is limiting the life by not servicing it, so he was absolutely correct.
Except that I was not referring to that section which is not specifically applicable to ZF transmissions but applies to many "sealed for life" components and is such a self-evident statement that it's not really worthy of serious analysis.

My observation specifically referenced the "master mechanics" knowledge of ZF transmissions.

Richard

Old 08-29-2024, 04:28 PM
Received 154 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by XKDreams

Flushing a high-mileage poorly maintained trans, so I'm told by other trans shops, might "dislodge" sludge or other gunk, which may clog up a critical passage and contribute to rapid failure. The same sources, plus my experience, indicates that a simple fluid and filter change will not damage anything.

The reason everybody says it will is often because the owner has waited until far too late to do a trans service. The trans fails shortly after the service, ipso facto, the service killed it. Both of my ZF trans in my BMWs had never been touched. 150K on one and 180K on another. The fluid was black water when I drained it. The first continued on to 185K before starting to leak our the front seal, the second went to 200K before the 2nd gear clutches all went metal-to-metal. Based on the internals during the rebuild, the fluid change, if it had any effect, was a positive one. The clutches were too far gone and filthy 20 year old fluid wouldn't have kept them from failing.

Having said all that, a flush at 50K shouldn't hurt anything.

Old 08-30-2024, 04:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 522 Likes on 375 Posts

14 years on from starting this thread, I wonder if BurgXK8 ever did service his gearbox?

Old 08-31-2024, 09:46 AM
Default Forgot about this forum

14 years later, and forgot I was subscribed to this thread. To answer your question, yes I changed the fluid, no I did not do a flush. Transmission went out a couple of years later, replaced with a "refurbished" transmission. A refurbished transmission is a used one that's had a couple of parts replaced, they said. The shop was reputable so I went that way and it which was way cheaper and came with a 6k/6 month warranty.

I never got to see how the transmission would do long term, since the car was hit in DC traffic and totaled soon after the work was done. Cannot stand American city living, especially not that city - left and never looked back.

I got the insurance money then somebody from this forum reached out and told me he bought the car for peanuts once it was fixed. I'm surprised anybody was able to fix it and sell it without losing money, but good to hear it may still be around. I don't know the screen name of whoever it is, and it is not the car in my picture (sold it).

The following 5 users liked this post by BurgXK8:
cjd777 (08-31-2024), Just Another Guy (09-03-2024), michaelh (09-01-2024), RichardS (08-31-2024), Y2KJag (09-03-2024)