XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No wheel spin and delay full throttle???? o5 xkr

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 08:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No wheel spin and delay full throttle???? o5 xkr

I have a 2005 jaguar XKR Coupe.. I am not sure if I have a problem or not... I turn the DTC off and put in sport mode and puch it from a stop and I get no wheel spin and a small delay and then it pulls... I also do not feel a difference with Sport on or Off...

Is this normal????????

Old 08-09-2009, 04:18 AM
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Bump. Somebody here should be able to answer this. I cannot, but it doesn't make sense to me either, Donny.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

my 97 XK8 does no hesitate but it also does not burn out all that well which I have gone to think was just the norm with these cars, in 97 anyways!

Old 08-09-2009, 06:15 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Smile Wheel Spin

I would have it checked out,when I do what you did,I will get wheel spin.You can do it the old fashion way and put your foot on thr brake and bring up the rpms.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:19 PM

Thanks eagle, a 4.2 R with no trac should lay rubber easy to my way of thinking. Anybody else?

Old 08-09-2009, 10:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

XKR coupe 05.....very fast car. Should it spin with no DSC on......**** I don't know. Never tried it really. It may be fitted with the limited slip differential, which would hamper any wheel spin and mostly be looking for traction, which is what you want. IIRC, limited slip was an option, but again, unlcear. Wheel spin is bogus, except for show and wearing out your tires. I'd have to drive it, and maybe run a quick scan for codes.

As far as sport mode goes, all that does is change shift points up or down, and delays downshifting when going through curvy roads, up or down hills, etc. I don't really notice a difference in the way they drive, unless I'm testing on those types of roads/conditions. Sport doesn't mean a boost in power.

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance. I am hung over, tired, and have a gnarly backache. Maybe the mush in my head is overheating. Good luck.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:19 PM

The car does seem to have good pick-up and I do hear the Supercharger whine and it does go through all gears just seems like I would get more take-off.....I don't just go around doing burn outs because as said above the tires are to costly for 20". I am just making a statement of what I have observed when I did a Full throtle take off. Slight delay then the pull but no wheel spin even when DSC was off. I LOVE THE CAR!!!!! It just does not feel like others I have driven with an Automatic and 400hp....but hey maybe that is just me and the car is fine... It has 50,000 Miles on it so I would think it is fine and know lights on...

I can do a cheat launch with the brake but if it is supposed to do it otherwise then I want it fixed...

How is Jaguars service department when it comes to an issue like this? Are they going to scan say no codes its all good have a great day or will they drive it and say yep it does not feel right we will find out the problem....

I would love to get a QT time and Dyno HP at the rear wheels... Anyone know were I could go from NC for that....

Old 08-10-2009, 06:11 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Well I must tell you if I want to do burnouts I test drive my buddies’ hot rod! If I worked for the dealership and you brought the car in because it did not do burn outs I would be first in line to make it happen.
On the flip side when I am rolling and I want it to go, it does just that! I hear the settle roar of the engine revving, it seems to squat down like the cat she is, I sink into the seat and when she takes off zoooooooooooooom. And that is what it is all about! No need to smoke the tires. That cost money!
On a more serious note, I hope you can have that same feeling.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:09 PM

The mystery to me is that nobody contributed to this thread who owns a late model XKR.
It doesn't take a technical mind to answer, and there are at least a few owners here who banter about high performance mods and such...yet nobody will walk out to their car and see if they can light 'em up. So either nobody is reading this, or the only time they post to this forum is to boast about their car or ask for free answers.

Donny, I'm inclined to think that a Dealer service department will adopt the first approach of "no fault found", but your results so far still seem surprising to me. The car does not have a limited slip differential.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Jagtech has a point,I would focus on the delay that you noticed.Also others are correct to point out that fresh tires will do what they are supposed to do and that grip,and I think that a little spin or quick breaking traction is not the same as a burnout.I would like to pass out the aspirin to all our members with the morning after flu,and hope they will have a sense of humour by the end of the day.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well my 2004 XJR, when the traction control is on will spin the wheels, then the control cuts in. Never tried it with the control off. And there is no delay, in throttle response.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:05 PM

Thanks Bob. Anybody else?

Old 08-10-2009, 09:14 PM
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 05 XKR Burnouts

Well, I also have a 2005 XKR coupe with 20" wheels as described. They did not come with limited slip diffs as someone questioned. Would be nice to have. The new ones with the 5 Liter engine do have a electronic limited slip. I do run the car on the slalom course and turn off the DSC and put it in Second (since you cannot select 1st). It will get wheelspin off the line and out of the corners if you are not carefull. On a straight line blast with the DSC on, it will cut power and the DSC will light up on the dash warning. Without the DSC engaged, you will get a bit of wheelspin but not enough to do a burnout as the car seems to hook up real nicely. Have not noticed a delay as the power is instant. Sport mode does have a effect. The takeoff is much more violent with it on and rather soft with it off. I recently drove one of the new XJR convertibles with the 5 liter. It had paddle shift and with the DSC off, wheel spin was a real issue on the slalom course. Of course, love the power.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:22 PM

Thanks Dick, that's pretty much what I would have expected and helps to confirm Donny's suspicions. Are you running shaved tires? Might not hook up quite as well with full tread depth for the normal XKR driver.

I wonder if you could rear-bias the ride height a little bit to help on corner exit?

Old 08-10-2009, 10:19 PM

Just running regular stock Pirellis. I did add another sway bar on the rear but have not run it in the slalom since that modification. There are a couple of groups out there working on a Limited slip diff carrier. So far they are rather expensive. BTW: mine is totally stock as far as the drivetrain.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

I also have the 2005 XKR along with my 1995 Corvette. I have not yet floor'd the Jaguar and have only done so once or twice with the Corvette as I basically drive like an "old lady" (no offense to any women here). My impression is that the Corvette moves much more briskly than the Jaguar but that can also be due to the fact that it is more noisy. Also, it always seems like you are going faster when you are in a smaller/lighter car compared with a larger/heavier one.

Doug

Old 08-11-2009, 04:23 AM

Hey Dick,

With the extra rear roll stiffness you added, I doubt your car is going to push. My first thought when I saw your rear antisway bar addition was that you were trying to get the back end loose for throttle steering the car out of the corner. If you are having a wheelspin problem on exit, I think it might help if you try dropping the rear ride height just a bit to bias more weight to the back end. I don't think that would induce understeer unless you went too far down.

And shaving the tires (or running a set of worn ones) should shave off a few tenths too.

I just want to make sure you get that thing as quick as it can be, so that someday when I show up in a Twin Cam Europa I can blow your doors off in good conscience.

Andy

Old 08-11-2009, 07:10 AM

Hi Andy, the car I slalom in the most is my XKE coupe. BTW, the 2011 Challenge Championship for the JCNA looks like it will be in Columbus, Ohio. I will have my XKE there and there will be an official timed slalom as part of the event. I was there this year and over two days, there were about 2500 cars of all sorts. How about bringing your car over and lets rumble...The more competition the better. I do have a set of 295/30-18 Hoosiers mounted on XKR wheels that go on the XKE. They would fit on the XKR and make it a lot faster but that would bump me into a much higher competitive class. Might try it someday but for now the XKE is the way to go.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:06 AM

Thanks for the heads up, I might even have my Lotus by then. It might still be in boxes, though...

Old 08-11-2009, 11:15 AM

WOW!!! Thanks for steeping up with some good advice... It seems that when the Sport button is on it does the same as off when at take-off... I was wondering if it might be faulty but then shouldnt it show a light on the dash...

When I say delay/coast it is like a very very split second almost like it is just enough to prevent wheel spin... It kind of coast for 1/2 second then jets.... I wish I could have someone with the same year drive it or I could find another one of the same to drive and compare just to see if it is in my head.....

My tires are about half tread.....

I have Mina Exhaust, Air Intake and soon to install the Pulley...

Quick Reply: No wheel spin and delay full throttle???? o5 xkr