XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No wheel spin and delay full throttle???? o5 xkr

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

That's the thing, it sounds like "traction off" isn't giving you "traction off". Your suspicion is starting to sound more likely...not too tough for a dealer to test for.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 761 Posts

I think mine (XKR) also does have a slight hesitation before full throttle kicks in, and maybe this is programmed as such to avoid to much sudden torque to the wheels.

Of course it is different if you press the brakes and already apply throttle. I don’t think that the DSC is still controlling wheel spin if DSC is turned off.

A big factor is also the temperature (outside/tire/road) besides road surface type (concrete or the asphalt), anyone living in very warm climates should have more difficulties in spinning the wheels (slightly less power due to temp, and more traction of the wheels on tarmac), then those in colder climates/conditions.

I can't speak for your car what it should do, but if you have good tires and it is warm outside it might indeed be hard to have the wheel slip.

Best would be to do a dyno, then at least you will know if your power output is about right.

Andre.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

I wonder if the "slight hesitation" is actually due to the "drive-by-wire" technology. There is no physical cable from the pedal to the throttle body; an electronic sensor transmits pedal movement to the throttle actuator. I assume this would be somewhat less responsive than an physical cable.

Doug

Old 08-11-2009, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

I have an 01 XKR with the supercharged 4.0L engine. The 5 speed Merc transmission in this car will start off in 2nd gear without the sport mode on. Sport mode on and it starts in 1st gear. With the electronics off and in sport mode, I can smoke the tires real good. (Only once just to see what it could do)

Old 08-12-2009, 03:24 PM
Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

2004 XJR here.

If I go wide open from a dead stop, I can easily do a 3rd gear rolling burnout. First gear will ring out in literally one second and then the car will burn through second gear and upshift into third, burn a little and then settle down.

Compared to my buddy's M3, there is just a very slight pause before power hits upon punching the gas but it is not even noticeable.

I don't understand how other R drivers have problems getting wheelspin...I have been trying to solve my wheelspin issue for quite some time now. I can never get off the line fast and clean at the same time. Even rolling on, if I punch it from 20mph, it will kick down into first and burn. At 40-50mph, kickdown into second makes my car chirp.

Any other R drivers have such a massive wheelspin issue?

Old 08-14-2009, 12:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the pause is very slight before full power when punching it but I cant get my wheels to spin with a full throttle take off and that is with Sport on and DSC off..... It takes off good with the hood raising up a bit and pulling you in your seat but no wheel spin.....I am wondering if it is do to the 20" rims and very massive tires on the back..... I have an aftermarket Exhaust and Air Intake giving me a bit more then stock HP... Maybe when I add the Pulley.....

Thanks guys for the Help....

Anymore XKR's and there findings with this???

Old 08-14-2009, 12:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told by Jag on the phone that my car was do for a 1 hour update so maybe this will give me something??? Anyone know what this update is for?

Old 08-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

The update may be for the whole emissions deal. J004 or something like that...

The update didn't change anything for my car, but I did get a free plastic engine cover out of it because I left mine off at my house.

The 285's you have on the rear of your car may very well contribute to the lack of wheelspin. How are the temperatures where you live?

When I took my car to the drag strip, the outside temperature was 100+ degrees with the track temperature hovering around 150. I could do full brake-boost launches on my semi-worn 255 wide Falken FK-452's and only get very, very slight wheelspin. My car is also pullied with the Mina axle-back making 340hp to the wheels. If I do brake-boost launches in mild temperatures (anything below 80) I can leave black lines that 60's muscle car gurus would envy.

So depending on the temperatures of the ambient air and road temperatures, combined with your fatty rear tires, I think an explanation can be found for your lack of wheelspin.

Have you tried brake-boosted launches?

Old 08-14-2009, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

If ya want to burn out get a Camaro/Vette/Stang GT. ha ha ha

Old 08-16-2009, 08:24 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,702 Posts
Old 08-23-2009, 11:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

My guess a few posts back that it might have something to do with the "drive by wire" seems to have been on the mark. The August Jaguar World Monthly had a short retrospective on the 1998 XKR introduction. There was reference to a JWM review at the time that bemoaned the lack of neck-snapping response due to the drive-by-wire algorithm. Here is a quote:

"You might want to snap the throttle open and bend your neck backwards, but the electronic police have got your number. They'll decide how fast to rotate the butterfly. Yes, you'll get all your horsepower in the end, but it might take a little while to arrive."

This brings up an interesting point. I am aware that there is software that can be run on a laptop that would enable me to "tune" my Corvette, and there are simpler items that also allow a novice to do some mild chip boosting (e.g., Hypertech). Is there something similar that would work with the ECM of the Jaguar?

Doug

Old 09-01-2009, 02:26 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

DBW system always offer a delay, and bursts in rpm's. They are setup that way to minimalize pump-loss, thus reducing emissions.

for more info, http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ping+lo&aqi=g4