XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

It is not the Seat Control Module

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 09:18 PM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Default It is not the Seat Control Module

I have been living with a passenger seat problem for quite a while. The seat will go forward but not back. I assumed it was the seat control module but I installed a new module that exhibits the same results. I believe the problem is in the passenger side seat control switch panel but I am not able to remove switch assembly and I would like to remove the seat but I cannot expose the rear screws holding the seat in place. I remember seeing a post on the Forum that identified a way to move the seat forwards and backwords but I am not sure of the correct way to do this.

I purchased a fuse tap and need to know the correct location to install it at the passenger side fuse panel. I do not know which fuse to replace with the tap. (I believe one of the 5 amp fuses would be the best) . I think that once I provide a lead from the fuse and provide a ground lead I can use the terminals marked 7 and 8 at the seat connector harness to move the seat forwards and backwards allowing me to remove all 4 screws to remove the seat and providing better access to the seat control switch assembly.
Any help will be appreciated.

Old 09-15-2019, 12:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,419 Likes on 755 Posts
Default Removed the passenger seat switches a few times

XK8 comfort,

I'll be easier to inspect the switch pack, if you can get it out. I've removed the seat switch pack a few times while working on the seat. I attach a pic (snipped from eB%y) of the rear of the unit. Just push on one side to release the 2 teeth (not the side with the tab)!

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (09-26-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 11:49 AM
Received 174 Likes on 96 Posts

David, just to clarify, are you saying that pushing in from the rear of the switch, say with a flat blade screwdriver, that the switch has enough give to bend enough to release the rear tab without breaking it? Or do you have to somehow "hook" the little tab and pull it toward the rear of the car while pushing the switch toward the front of the car.

Comfort, any fuse can be used for the tap ( one that is BAT powered would be easier). You can check the fuse lid in the trunk for location info, but IIRC, the top right fuse on the passenger side (US) is the one for the seat. Try pulling it and see if the set back can be moved.

Old 09-16-2019, 12:47 PM

Does the long tab end go toward the rear or front of the seat? I was able to use the 12V method to access all 4 screws so I will be taking the seat out this evening.

Old 09-17-2019, 01:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,419 Likes on 755 Posts
Default Pic of my 99 XK8 passenger seat module switch out

Here’s a quick pic, with 2 teeth at rear and tab at front.
A previous owner had put glue on top too... but doesn’t need that if pushed firmly in ( without leather seat trim fouling the fixing)

Old 09-17-2019, 07:34 AM

Thanks David. That is a very clear picture of the switch assembly. I have not been able to move the assembly far enough forward by hand to free the two tabs. Maybe if I try leverage between the leather and the plastic switch frame with a plastic blade, I might be able to free the switch. It will be a few days until I receive my replacement switch.

Old 09-26-2019, 04:45 PM

I received a used passenger seat switch today purchased off Ebay. Was told it was fully functional and decided to tackle the removal of the defective switch. After reading every thing I could find on removing the switch I came up with this game plan.

1. I have previously jumpered the foward and backward terminals and was able to obtain access to the 2 seat track rails.

2. Removed the seat and set it upside down on a card table.

3. Removed the lower seat frame base with the motor assembly and shifted it off the seat side opposite the passenger switch.

4. Explored the lower seat and saw that the switch was hidden by yellow foam rubber. Used a pry bar the move the foam aside and tried to find the recessed plastic cup that houses the seat switch.
The part that threw me was that the cup is black on the outside and I had to search to differentiate the cup from the surrounding black metal. See a photo of the cup layout from another member.

5. Made several attempts to insert tools thru one of the two slots which gives access to the movable plastic retainer that holds the two prongs on the switch.

6. I then used the pry bar to hold back the foam and inserted a thin blade screw driver thru one of the two slots and was able to pry back the plastic retainer and pry the switch frame (at the rear of the switch) out
releasing the switch. To my surprise, it came out rather easily.

7. Plugged in the replacement switch and reassembled the seat and set it in the car attaching the main yellow connector. Voila! Seat now moves in all directions. See photos of the key parts below.

Last edited by XK8 Comfort; 09-26-2019 at 04:47 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by XK8 Comfort:
DavidYau (09-26-2019), Johnken (09-26-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

It's probably a little late now, but I have a pair of 2000 switches that are in excellent condition that I purchased that will not work on my 2006. if the one/ones you have are not good I can make you a very good deal on these. I will be taking my seat out to see if I can replace my seat module eventually. My module is totally destroyed due to seat being lowered and a very large butt dropping into the seat(no idea whose(??).

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (09-26-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 06:53 PM

Are they Ivory (NED) If so what do you want for them?

Old 09-27-2019, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

They are Ivory, and you can have them for $50/pr + whatever the FedEx shipping is to Texas. I use FedEx, because it is faster and safer than USPS. If you are interested, PM me and I will send you pix and details.

Old 09-27-2019, 07:28 AM

I will take you up on your offer. The mailing address is: P.O. Box 369, Comfort, Texas 78013. Let me know the total with shipping and you preferred method of payment.