XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Odd problem starting 2002 XK8 - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 12:05 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was reading in another forum about electrical problems and it mentioned about grounding problems. What about the ground connections for the engine computers?

Old 08-22-2011, 01:34 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty sure the grounds on the computers were checked, but adding it to the steadily growing list anyway, lol! Was really hoping some one would have an idea why it takes EXACTLY fifteen minutes from when it doesn't start to when it will start again normally......

Old 08-23-2011, 01:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tspinosi,

Try to pull out all the brown relays and switch them around and try to start again.

After a week of no crank, no start issue, I was getting frustrated and decided to play with the relays.

I pulled all the relays out of the engine control module in the engine compartment, passenger side. I then turned the key over and still no crank. By then, I had forgotten which relay belonged where exactly, so I just randomly put them back.

miraculously, all the issues went away after this. I was able to start the car consistently. All the messages went away.
ASC

Old 04-03-2012, 03:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tspinosi
Have been searching forums for a while, trying to see if anyone else is having this problem. For the last six months or so, maybe 3 or 4 times, I'll go to start my XK8 and it won't start. I have power but the engine will not start at all. I get 4 messages: ABS Unavailable, TRAC Unavailable, Gearbox fault and Engine Failsafe Mode. I originally thought it was a problem with the shifter not being in park, but oddly it seems that if I wait 15 minutes, almost exactly and try the car again, it starts normally and will continue to start until this problem surfaces again. My mechanic put it on the computer and didn't get any faults that would point to this issue. Anyone else ever experience this? Driving me (and my mechanic) crazy.....
yes, im having the same problem,, i can wait 15 min and it starts,, bought new key,
had all the leads going to battery checked,, battery is ok,, tried jiggling shifter, turning steering wheel, nothing works but waiting,,
if u find out why, please let me know,, jaguar cant find why either,,
i can usually start it 5 times ok,, then it wont start again,,,

The following users liked this post:
Bob OB (06-23-2014)
Old 04-03-2012, 03:57 PM

Well, haven't posted in almost a year since, Jag has been problem free since last October. Then two weeks ago, same thing. Turn key, car has power but no crank to engine at all. Happened again yesterday, after using the car maybe four or five days with no problems. Tried moving shifter and starting in Neutral and no start. Waited 15 minutes both times and car starts with shifter in park. Honestly, at a complete loss as to what it could be other than gremlins, lol! Planning on replacing the Neutral Saftey Switch AND the key reader in the ignition but really not sure that will help. Thought I'd post again to see if anyone else had any progress with the same problem.
yes, i have the same problem,, new battery, new cables, new key,,bobtenn@gmail.com
mine wont start at least once a week , same as yours

Old 04-03-2012, 04:45 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,216 Likes on 1,703 Posts

Take a moment and look at this information and see if it helps Link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

The following users liked this post:
bobtenn (04-04-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 08:51 PM

Hey there. Saga continues..... Had the neutral safety switched replaced last November and problem disappeared until last week (5/5/12). This time I didn't think I was going to get it started. Waiting the 15 minutes and nothing, then tried moving shifter and nothing. After trying this several times, it got to a point where key would not turn at all in ignition even into accessory. It seemed locked tight. In desperation I released the shifter again while turning key and thankfully it started. Going back into garage on the 30th.
Gus, I read over the info on the JagRepair link. Problem is I can't reproduce this fault, it's totally random and happens at the worst times, lol! I'm printing out everything and taking it with me when it goes back to the garage. Thinking of replaced ignition lock next. I had a dealer suggest that a while back, but everything I've found seems to say that if if the lock/exciter ring was bad, car would never start. Any thoughts?
BTW, great link.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:37 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,216 Likes on 1,703 Posts

Check your PM

Hey there. Saga continues..... Had the neutral safety switched replaced last November and problem disappeared until last week (5/5/12). This time I didn't think I was going to get it started. Waiting the 15 minutes and nothing, then tried moving shifter and nothing. After trying this several times, it got to a point where key would not turn at all in ignition even into accessory. It seemed locked tight. In desperation I released the shifter again while turning key and thankfully it started. Going back into garage on the 30th.
Gus, I read over the info on the JagRepair link. Problem is I can't reproduce this fault, it's totally random and happens at the worst times, lol! I'm printing out everything and taking it with me when it goes back to the garage. Thinking of replaced ignition lock next. I had a dealer suggest that a while back, but everything I've found seems to say that if if the lock/exciter ring was bad, car would never start. Any thoughts?
BTW, great link.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:44 PM

Hello all! Gus has been kindly helping me out to zero in on the problem but I thouhgt I'd post an update here for everyone. After "no start" reocurred about three weeks ago, the car started fine about 10-12 times. Yesterday morning went out to drive it to the shop and "no start". Attempted to move shifter to N but couldn't, even with key inserted into j-gate. When I put it back in start, it started fine. Drove it to garage and put it on computer and gave p1797 code, which I found (on Gus' site) as CAN ECM token message missing and through some other searches as Neutral Switch Malfunction. So, mechanic thinks the Neutral Saftey Switch I got was faulty or shifter micro switch. Will likely replace both. Here's hoping. Only positive note is that it finally showed some kind of code after a "no start".

Old 06-04-2012, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have exactly the same issue! Driving me nuts and happening almost 3 times a week. I thought it might be the remote malfunctioning but not sure. Has any one updated the expeirence

Old 06-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Starting Problems

Could this have anything to do with Alarm System! Sounds like the Electical System in Shuting Down and Reseting after 15 Min. as a Locksmith this is what Happens for the anti theft on all of the Transponder Cars. Have Dealer Check Your Alarm System.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:48 AM

Hello there. I asked the exact same thing to a dealer about the 15 minutes and he said he had never heard that about the alarm system. The ignition exciter ring/key reader/transpoder has been suggested before. Some have said if the keys are disarming the alarm system then this is not the problem. (This is unverified) Also there are no security system related codes coming up after a "no start". There were no codes at all until the first "no start" AFTER replacing the neutral safety switch. The code came up as P1797 relating to a Neutral Switch Malfunction. Since the neutral saftey switch had just been replaced last Nov, it was suggested to replace the shifter micro switch. If this is not the issue, I think the exciter ring is all I have left to try, lol!

Old 06-06-2012, 11:38 AM
Default engine quitting

Please let me know if you have any luck.

I kind of felt it is either the alarm system or exciter because of the 15 minute reset too

Also I bought the car 1 year ago and had a reset issue with the existing remote which was original so I bought w key from a third party. Took both to Jag: they "programmed" one of the two new remotes but could not get the 2nd to function (same part number) They could not program the key and supplied their own which they could not program either.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:45 PM
Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Starting Problem

The Key Switch is Mechanical and if the key turns there should not be anything Wrong there. The Key has a Transponder built into the Head of The key and They Seldom Fail.
There should be Switches on Back of the Door Locks to Turn on and Off Alarm and These Can Go Bad?
I Will Have to Check My Car and See if it Shuts Down the Electrical and Fuel System When The Alarm is Set Off?? Will Let You Know Later.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:12 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Any update on this problem? Was it the exciter ring? My 2000 xjr has these symptoms as well and seems to be getting worse. Most times I have to leave the car for at least 15 minutes until I can restart.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:36 AM

Sorry for the delayed response, but I'm hesitant to claim success after the last few times, lol! After changing the micro switch, the car has started now, without problems, well over 50 times, which I would normally say is good news, but since it was fine for over seven months after replacing the neutral safety switch, I'm not so sure. I'm on vacation this week and plan on using it pretty much for everything, so hopefully will have a better idea.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:47 PM
Default Follow-UP

Whats the status, have you had any issues since?

how hard is the replacement of the neutral safety switch an micro switch?

thanks!

Sorry for the delayed response, but I'm hesitant to claim success after the last few times, lol! After changing the micro switch, the car has started now, without problems, well over 50 times, which I would normally say is good news, but since it was fine for over seven months after replacing the neutral safety switch, I'm not so sure. I'm on vacation this week and plan on using it pretty much for everything, so hopefully will have a better idea.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:08 AM

Hey all. Status update. Have not had the no-start/crank problem no in almost 100 starts. The replaced micro switch is part of the neutral safety switch. Funny thing is, I replaced the neutral safety switch a while back and got several months out of it before the problem came back. On a shot in the dark, I had the micro switch replaced and now evertything seems fine. My worries are that in order for this to have been the solution, my original neutral safety switch/micro switch would have had to have been bad, and the micro switch on the replacement neutral safety switch would have had to have died. Seems like a lot of coincidence, lol!
So car is working fine for now. Truth is, I've been keeping the miles off it. Looking into that new F-Type that's coming out next year.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:00 PM
Default Xk8

For 2 months, I had to wait 15 minutes for the car to turn the motor over,, all of a sudden it quit, and works fine,, I didn't do anything , never knew what was causing it..

Old 04-28-2013, 10:59 AM

Same problems here, have tried Keyless transponder and exciter ring, new throttle body, still working on it, check out my thread- Stolen car, thanks and good luck--Please let us know if you find out anything that works.

Quick Reply: Odd problem starting 2002 XK8 - Help!