XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

odd tranny funk, early 97 xk8

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,985 Likes on 2,124 Posts

You have to be especially careful buying used ABS modules. Beside the mechanical variants, Jaguar used many different software programs. If you do not match BOTH the part number AND the VCATS code (see the label in the boot near the spare tire) you will likely not be able to communicate with the module without having it reprogrammed..

Many used parts dealers do not know a VCATS code from a hole in the wall...you are best off dealing with a Jaguar aware company like Jagbits or Welsh for this.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:33 PM
Received 119 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by RJ237
Unfortunately, I am beginning to relate to your problem. My module showed error codes for a wheel speed sensor which I couldn't erase using my Autoenginuity, and my cruise control was not working. I sent it to a repair facility and when returned there were no codes, so I thought everything was good, although the cruise control quit shortly after. A couple of weeks later I ran another scan and the ABS module was not found. So I figured the repair was not only not successful, but the module was not communicating.

I bought another module from a wrecking yard, and of course it had a C1095. The supplier told me to keep the module and refunded the purchase price. I have now repaired that module and everything is finally working.

If autoenginuity does not see the ABS module, there is probably a communication problem in the CAN bus. It may be the module itself or a connector.

Now as to the module. I have the same model # and there are six solenoids, meaning no traction control, which requires nine. Also, if the button on the dash is ASC OFF, you do not have traction control. When I bought my replacement module there was another one available in Jacksonville Beach for about $350, it might still be there. Beware the guys in Chicago area asking $1000 plus.

If we were closer I would get with you and swap to see if the problem is fixed.
So I am correct that the abs module and speed sensors should show up as selectable stuff for charting.

Oddly enough the light is now out. Put maybe 10 miles on it today and it didn't come back on yet plus if it was not seeing being seen by the rest of the car I woldn't think I'd have the speedo as it is a very early 97 I have.

Last edited by TreVoRTasmin; 06-15-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,801 Likes on 2,236 Posts

No, the abs data can not be charted with autoenginuity, but the error codes can be read and erased. Unplug one of the wheel sensors and see if the code is displayed. Everything may be working now.

The following users liked this post:
TreVoRTasmin (06-16-2013)
Old 06-16-2013, 07:51 PM
Received 119 Likes on 101 Posts

Thanks RJ, thought I saw it on the menu but I am on regular tylanol/codine from my last sugery with the occasional harder pain pill so even I don't trust my mind much these days..

So drove a solid 130miles today. ABS light/Stability control light stayed off the entire time.

First 50 miles the tranny was flawless, then got a tranny fault code pulling onto an interstate, when I got off, I turned the car off and it was gone. Then a couple times after that when pulling to a stop it goes into a higher gear when you go to accelerate. When it goes in it is a harsher then normal bang so I just turn it off and back on then it works just normally. No noticable delay going into gears like a typical a drum early failure symptom but seems more than a bad sensor at this point. Was hoping it was just an issue with the abs speed sensor confusing the tranny but as I learned from my Christmas gift of getting hit by a drunk driver while riding a , I'm not that lucky. It will be going in to my local indie Jag guy as soon as the XJR front end is all refreshed. Need that done before our planned 4th of July camping trip as the front end was getting a little loose esp. when towing a camper.

Provided it is the tranny what would people here do at 85k, have it rebuilt?, buy a reman tranny (I'm thinking this might be the ticket so I asked what all they do and what is inlcuded in an email tonight Welcome), or a used tranny. My original hope was for the tranny to survive long enough for me to source the parts needed to do a manual tranny conversion but I'm no where ready or in the physical shape for that so looks like I'll be paying someone to put in another zf for now.