XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh so common DSC System Fault!?? Do I need an ABS scanner?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 09:27 AM
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Lightbulb Oh so common DSC System Fault!?? Do I need an ABS scanner?

2003 Jaguar XKR, intermittent DSC System Fault, cleaned wheel speed sensors, still intermittent... There is no ABS light, check engine light or any other faults on.

Will an ABS tool read a DSC System Fault code that hasn't ever illuminated the ABS light, so I can narrow down the problem? If yes, what ABS tool should I buy? If no, I guess it's time for process of elimination, what do I try after the wheel speed sensors?

Thanks

Old 06-09-2014, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

If you have cleaned the sensors then you could check the wiring and connectors.

Have you also checked the condition of the battery?, this is one of those niggles that shows up with a drop in voltage.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by jimbov8
If you have cleaned the sensors then you could check the wiring and connectors.

Have you also checked the condition of the battery?, this is one of those niggles that shows up with a drop in voltage.
Which wiring/connectors are you talking about?

I have not, what do I need to do, get it load tested?

Thanks for the help!

Old 06-09-2014, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

If you follow the wiring from the sensor a little ways, there will be a connector. Disconnect and make sure the contacts are clean.

As for the battery, get yourself a digital volt meter.
Measure the voltage at the battery terminals, should be around 12.3v with the ignition off.
Start the engine and measure again, should be around 14.1v.

If you do not have one, then a CTEK battery tender is a must for keeping your battery in the best condition possible.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:16 AM
Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Disconnect the cable from the ABS sensor at the hub.
The copper in the connector's pins gets slightly corroded and has a telltale green stain. You may have use a magnifying glass to look down into the plug part.
Using an electronic cleaning solvent spray into both plug & socket pins.
Reconnect and then disconnect again - quite possibly you will see come more green corrosion come out.
Repeat cleaning until not more corrosion is seen.
The action of connecting/reconnecting will sometimes clean the connectors; use plenty of solvent.

I had the same intermittent problem but in my case the ABS light came on.

If you want a suitable reader then AutoEnginuity have a Jaguar package which I believe covers the ABS codes.
AutoEnginuity Jaguar Fault Diagnostics Package for XJ, XK, S-Type, X-Type and XF models
It's expensive though, I think others have used a much cheaper app. which can do it - I believe it's mentioned on the forum somewhere.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:22 PM

Just to clarify, if I follow the wiring each of the 4 ABS sensors connects to a connector/hub right? I will try cleaning them soon and let you all know if it fixed it. Unfortunately it will probably take a few days as it's very intermittent, sometimes I don't see the message for days.

jimbov8:
Battery, off 12.45v, and on 14.22v. I'm assuming it's good? I do need to get a battery tender you've been happy with the CTEK?

multiplecats:
Thanks for the Autenginuity link I'm trying to find some information on the more affordable app to read ABS codes with no luck thus far. Would probably come in handy in the future even if I don't need it this time.

Thanks!
--Ryan

Old 06-09-2014, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,801 Likes on 2,236 Posts

This trouble shooting sheet from jagrepair.com may be of use. I'm not sure if the XKR is the same, but may be. Early models have resistance of 1K ohm, later I think 2K ohm.

http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa...heet%20XK8.pdf

Last edited by RJ237; 06-09-2014 at 06:53 PM. Reason: attachment
Old 06-10-2014, 03:49 AM
Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by seawind
Just to clarify, if I follow the wiring each of the 4 ABS sensors connects to a connector/hub right? I will try cleaning them soon and let you all know if it fixed it. Unfortunately it will probably take a few days as it's very intermittent, sometimes I don't see the message for days.
Yes, carefully lift the tab at the top of the connector and pull apart (might be tight!).
Not sure about 2003 models but my 04 has hall-effect (HE) sensors which measure only one-way so reverse meter connections if it looks very high resistance. I've found HE sensors hard to measure reliably with digiital voltmeters, for this I prefer old-school (now hard to find) analogue type.

Also the ABS cables themselves can become intermittent(!) - I think I might have that problem on mine....

Old 06-15-2014, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Probably a (clone) Mongoose JLR with IDS/SDD would be a lot cheaper and do even more than AE.

I hope that battery voltage was after at least 8 hours of non-running engine.