XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Ohlins performance suspension kit for XK8/XKR !!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by XKRacer
CATs is rubbish anyway the amount of difference it makes is negligible versus the cost, I drive enough XKs with both options to say I barely notice it whilst driving.
I agree, My 97 (Non-CATS) Coupe handled the same as my CATS XKR.

The CATS system is a Rube Goldberg like design with little effect. (for the Brits, Rube Goldberg was a cartoonist that designed inventions that made simple tasks much more complicated).

The following users liked this post:
BurgXK8 (12-20-2013)
Old 12-19-2013, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Pavlik
(for the Brits, Rube Goldberg was a cartoonist that designed inventions that made simple tasks much more complicated).

Yeah, kinda like our throttle bodies.

The following users liked this post:
User 070620 (12-20-2013)
Old 12-21-2013, 12:26 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Paul, is there any handling modification that has proven itself for these cars?

Wasn't the final, top handling package for coupes only worth doing? Larger front anti-roll bar, smaller rear anti-roll bar, etc.????

I drove a 2005 that was twice the price of my car and its handling was a nice amount better.

Perhaps I should just put on really sticky summer tires during the summer and leave it at that?

Old 12-21-2013, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by weisberg
Paul, is there any handling modification that has proven itself for these cars?

Wasn't the final, top handling package for coupes only worth doing? Larger front anti-roll bar, smaller rear anti-roll bar, etc.????

I drove a 2005 that was twice the price of my car and its handling was a nice amount better.

Perhaps I should just put on really sticky summer tires during the summer and leave it at that?
I'm really not an expert on XK Handling. The XKs are really Grand Touring Cars and I think any attempt to improve handling will reduce Ride Comfort by an equal amount. Others may disagree.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:20 AM
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Handling pack

Turns out that the handling package (or handling pack, as its sometimes called) was an additional package on top of the existing CATS system everyone had, and there were variations in wheel size:

Car Enthusiast NEWS - by CAINT.COM

Handling Pack

"Designed specifically for the XK8 coupe [Note - other publications say it was only offered on the XKR] and XKR coupe, the Handling Pack comprises:

High-performance Brembo brakes
18 or 20 inch alloy wheels
Jaguar's advanced Computer Active Technology Suspension (CATS)
Revised electronic control unit settings and revised damper settings for taut, dynamic handling
Uprated springs and anti-roll bars for increased roll stiffness
A re-tuned variable ratio, speed-sensitive steering system, giving a very direct feel and pinpoint accuracy
With the Handling Pack installed, the ride height is lowered by 10mm, further improving the car's stability and poise. The result is an involving driving experience which will reward even the most dedicated enthusiast."

But there is some discrepancy as to whether the car was lowered 10mm or 15mm (I have not measured mine):

Jaguar XKR road tests

"Designed specifically for the XKR with R Features coupe only, the handling pack comprises enhancements to Jaguar’s advanced Computer Active Technology Suspension (CATS). These enhancements include revised electronic control unit settings and revised damper settings for taut, dynamic handling as well as uprated springs and anti-roll bars for increased roll stiffness. The pack also includes a retuned variable ratio, speed-sensitive steering system, giving a very direct feel and pinpoint accuracy.

With the handling pack installed on the XKR with R Features coupe, the ride height is lowered by 15mm, further improving the car’s stability and poise. The result is an involving, thrilling driving experience which will reward even the most dedicated enthusiast an provide an evocative reminder of Jaguar’s heritage of high performance."