XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Oil drip

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 10:25 AM
Received 172 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Oil drip

Have a question for my favorite sources of xk8 info:
taking my ‘97 in for oil change. Probably will ask them to see if that annoying oil drip can be traced to source. Now, I’ve seen that it may possibly be timing cover or oil pan gasket. With competent mechanic, etc, how much time and work is involved in that tracking-down process? (With shops, time IS money)
Thanks for opinions, suggestions, vague references, as they ALL make good reading….

Old 01-28-2022, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,511 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Best is to clean it as best you can (engine degreaser, brake cleaner, rags, etc.) then drive some until you see something. This way you eliminate other/old sources of oil, like when removing the filter and the oil follows the edge of the pan. Just my thoughts.

The following users liked this post:
Rosevillesister (01-28-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 06:09 PM
Default Omg service

Okaaay…apparently the auto shop did this on ‘97 xk8 today: to be able to track source of oil drip , the plan was to clean under the hood so that drip could be tracked after 100 miles or so. Fine, dandy, picked up car , drove 1/4mile and check engine light started flashing, as well as poor engine performance and faulty engine lights, and some lovely mild shaking from that area. Took car back immediately, and Master Tech looking at what is up. Being late Friday, won’t have answers for a couple days.
Water where it doesn’t belong, too much water/how area cleaned…??? Thoughts ?
Outside of hitting myself in the head with a mallet..?
This is not for the faint of heart, and is discouraging.
This is precisely why I trust absolutely NO repair shop, of any kind, regardless of reviews, or word of mouth.

Old 01-28-2022, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,386 Likes on 2,865 Posts

I have never and will never spray any water into my wife's 2006 XK8's engine bay in an effort to clean it. Far too many delicate electrical components to risk such abusive treatment. I use old rags, a bit of silicone spray, and plenty of elbow grease. While my trusty 1999 Dodge Ram's engine bay could easily take a 30-minute fire hose bath and suffer no operational issues, these Jaguars are a far different story. If your chosen shop pressure-washed your engine bay, you may be in for a long period of various issues until everything under the hood finally dries out....

The following 2 users liked this post by Jon89:
Dr. D (01-29-2022), Johnken (01-28-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jon89
I have never and will never spray any water into my wife's 2006 XK8's engine bay in an effort to clean it. Far too many delicate electrical components to risk such abusive treatment. I use old rags, a bit of silicone spray, and plenty of elbow grease. While my trusty 1999 Dodge Ram's engine bay could easily take a 30-minute fire hose bath and suffer no operational issues, these Jaguars are a far different story. If your chosen shop pressure-washed your engine bay, you may be in for a long period of various issues until everything under the hood finally dries out....

I need aspirin. Looks like I’ve traded one annoying issue for a potentially long list of problems. I am yelling at myself plenty. I’ve never ever cleaned an engine, and simply would not have given it a second thought…professionals…ya know? And I have been OCD about the car, I love it so. So now I’ll be a paranoid schizophrenic with OCD.
so many things. I’m watching To The Garage daily, and making notes.
ah well.
Thanks ……

Old 01-29-2022, 07:48 AM
Received 161 Likes on 91 Posts

I have never understood why people are afraid of using water in the engine bay. I have own about 20 cars over 30 years, several makes and models, and I wash the engine bay at least once a year. Do you think it will stay absolute dry when you drive in heavy rain? The car manufactures has to make all electric connections water tight. Maybe that aint true anymore in an old car, but then again I want to find out and fix it before I stay stranded by the road in a rain storm.
The first thing to look for is the coils and spark plugs. Take off the cover above the coils and use compressed air to blow out any water. In 90 % percent of the time that will fix it.

Old 01-29-2022, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member

Driving in heavy rain does not directly spray copious amounts of water down into the upper regions of the engine where the spark plugs, coils, and majority of electrical components are located. Many modern vehicles have undertrays (belly pans) to keep water from splashing up into the engine bay as much as possible on rainy days. Deliberately soaking the engine bay with a pressure washer or garden hose from above saturates all of those sensitive electrical components and more. When you opt to do this to modern vehicles which are essentially rolling computers, you are asking for trouble. There are hundreds of horror stories posted on the four automotive forums I utilize that describe the unfortunate and sometimes very costly damage inflicted upon various owners' vehicles as a result of their decision to soak their engine bay with water in an effort to clean it....

Do so at your own risk....

Old 01-29-2022, 11:31 AM

Driving in heavy rain does not directly spray copious amounts of water down into the upper regions of the engine where the spark plugs, coils, and majority of electrical components are located. Many modern vehicles have undertrays (belly pans) to keep water from splashing up into the engine bay as much as possible on rainy days. Deliberately soaking the engine bay with a pressure washer or garden hose from above saturates all of those sensitive electrical components and more. When you opt to do this to modern vehicles which are essentially rolling computers, you are asking for trouble. There are hundreds of horror stories posted on the four automotive forums I utilize that describe the unfortunate and sometimes very costly damage inflicted upon various owners' vehicles as a result of their decision to soak their engine bay with water in an effort to clean it....

Do so at your own risk....

Well, it’s a hard lesson and now I’ll pay the price. Being new to this kind of vehicle(not even 7 months), and living in a new area, I’m playing catch-up with an amazing amount of information. Impossible to anticipate every possibility. Wondering if “whoever” covered the electrical components at all. To me, it is a “DUH”…thing. Won’t know until Monday. When I go in to question them….Any suggestions on questions, for my extensive list?
What I’ve seen is that compressed air can be used to dry the engine bay somewhat. It’s not warm enough here to dry quickly on its own. Are there other “successful”, “safe” methods to help the drying process?
Oh look a squirrel

Old 02-05-2022, 09:55 AM
Default Back from the $hop

$hop discovered a leaking rear main seal, seepage from oil pan gasket…and replaced crankshaft seal, exhaust gasket, oil pan gasket. Monitoring slight area at timing cover(BobRoy had also mentioned this). Fresh cardboard under car to check for continuing issue(s).

Old 02-05-2022, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

Has all the water from the engine bay washing fiasco finally evaporated? Have all the dashboard warning lights and messages disappeared?

Old 02-05-2022, 10:28 AM

Has all the water from the engine bay washing fiasco finally evaporated? Have all the dashboard warning lights and messages disappeared?
Hey there….and good morning!
Yes, the engine wash issue seems to be under control. No warning lights, no leftover symptoms.
Holding my breath(ok not really). I do have my 60,000mi service list , due in 2500 mi. Me…a preventative issue kind of person…
Warm days forecast, so driving is my answer to “what ifs”….
Thank you for keeping me on my toes

Old 02-05-2022, 01:18 PM
Received 8,209 Likes on 4,950 Posts

When I worked at the dealer, every once in a while I would hear the flatbed wrecker (rollback) delivering a car with the owner complaining that the engine would not start or would run poorly AFTER they washed the engine. (usually at the pressure car wash with a wand)

I would spend a few hours disconnecting harness plugs and sensors to spay WD40 and blow air to dry them, and then reconnect.

There was no sympathy for the charge and the new car warranty would NOT cover the repair. (self inflicted damage)
I would leave a copy of the TSB Jaguar published on the seat for the customer.

'Back-in-the-day' you could get away with a wet carburettor or wet distributor but....................Nowadays with all the electronics????????????

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
600-02 Pressure Washing.pdf (26.8 KB, 46 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by motorcarman:
Johnken (02-05-2022), MRomanik (02-06-2022)
Old 02-10-2022, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Rosevillesister
$hop discovered a leaking rear main seal, seepage from oil pan gasket…and replaced crankshaft seal, exhaust gasket, oil pan gasket. Monitoring slight area at timing cover(BobRoy had also mentioned this). Fresh cardboard under car to check for continuing issue(s).
1997 JAGUAR XK8 convertible
Okaaaay…three days(this will be #4)….no drip. Held my breath the whole time(seriously)). Not tempting fate by cheering, simply a quiet “huzzah”.
Rear main seal…check. Everything ; belts, hoses, clamps, electrical…checked. I am a preventative-type, not a “don’t fix it til it breaks” type. Keeping my eye on everything. Seriously.
TO THE GARAGE guy has been invaluable. Forum members, so supportive, so much info. But…BobRoy… huge shout out to you. I can’t tell you how I wish I had the ability to physically do a lot of the work on the car myself. I envy you guys who do.
Still have things that I know need to be watched. It IS a 25 year old car, after all.
Pacific Coast Highway in 10 days. I’m detailing exterior today, interior tomorrow. THAT I can do.

The following 3 users liked this post by Rosevillesister:
kstevusa (02-10-2022), michaelh (02-10-2022), ozbot (02-10-2022)