XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Ok! How many people just live with a coolant smell??

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 515 Likes on 333 Posts
Default Ok! How many people just live with a coolant smell??

I've done everything I can find (and been suggested by all you great guys on the forum) to fix a coolant smell. Changed almost every hose, coupling, expansion tank, cap, thermostat and housing, plastic manifold, everything basically. Checked for a head gasket issue, you name it. Pressure test found nothing but EVERY time I drive it, there's that smell. Usually in the rear of engine area. All new clamps, ugh!!!
At this point my mechanic has no more ideas. He says just drive it and if it gets worse or I see drops, we'll start again!!

So my question really is: who else just lives with a coolant smell?!?!?!?!

Old 06-27-2013, 09:13 AM
Received 151 Likes on 106 Posts

I am until I can see where the drip is without too much work. I can not see any loss in tank.

Last edited by stevepaa; 06-27-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Hi Philhef,
With all the work you have carried out could it be coolant residue somewhere on the engine that is burning off.

If there are no leaks inside or outside, the levels and pressure test is ok and there is no possibility of the smell being something else, then I would agree with your guy and see what happens.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:28 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I noticed it on the test drive before I bought my 01 XK8.

It was brief after warm up, and went away quickly. Ten minutes later I smelled it again, just as briefly....no steam or smoke either time.

I chalked it up to having recently been in the shop by the dealer. Maybe residual dampness, grimey finger prints, etc.

The intermittency had me thinking that perhaps small drips were falling on the hot exhaust manifolds perhaps, but like I said, never any steam.

Then I read on this forum about the reservoir tank deficiency...haven't looked into that farther because the smell has diminished a lot since I've been driving her regularly. I believe the repeated heat cycles have evaporated any grime or spillage from the service work, as I hoped.

Still need to inspect the reservoir closely to be sure....Coolant level hasn't gone down any discernable amount that I can tell.

Never a puddle or drip under the car after shut off and parked overnight or longer, no steam from the tail pipes and no visible wetness under the hood...

Old 06-27-2013, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

There are two heater hoses that lead from the thermostat area and head towards the rear, UNDER the intake manifold to the rear of the engine. Significant leaks anywhere around the thermostat or these hose connections...or perhaps in other areas near the rear, can lead to the collection of coolant on the top of the engine block, under the intake manifold where you can't see it. Every time the engine gets hot, it could be burning off this coolant or its residue...but again, you wouldn't be able to see it without removing the intake manifold.

There are also coolant connections into and out of the throttle body. Check those...perhaps with a small mirror and flashlight.

Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
Jazz Cat (06-27-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 11:03 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by The Coupe
There are two heater hoses that lead from the thermostat area and head towards the rear, UNDER the intake manifold to the rear of the engine. Significant leaks anywhere around the thermostat or these hose connections...or perhaps in other areas near the rear, can lead to the collection of coolant on the top of the engine block, under the intake manifold where you can't see it. Every time the engine gets hot, it could be burning off this coolant or its residue...but again, you wouldn't be able to see it without removing the intake manifold.

There are also coolant connections into and out of the throttle body. Check those...perhaps with a small mirror and flashlight.

Good luck

Good post/info.......

Old 06-27-2013, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 558 Posts

Replaced my expansion tank and then had to go back and replace a loose clamp. Took about a week each time to rid myself of the smell. But it did go away.

If it still has an odor after 2 weeks or so, then you still have a leak somewhere.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:45 PM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

My 97 had it and so does my '01.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine (2202) had that smell since they day I got her. never low on coolant, never a drop under the car. Just that smell. I finally gave up and learned to live with it.

now if I could figure out the gasoline smell I be happy

Old 07-18-2013, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Originally Posted by Lakeland33813

Are you aware of the two TSBs for the gas smell?

Old 07-18-2013, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,801 Likes on 2,236 Posts

I notice the odor occasionally when I get out of the car, but when I open the hood to try to locate the source it's gone. I add an ounce every few hundred miles; having the Realgauge makes it easier to ignore.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:37 PM
Received 192 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by philhef
I've done everything I can find (and been suggested by all you great guys on the forum) to fix a coolant smell. Changed almost every hose, coupling, expansion tank, cap, thermostat and housing, plastic manifold, everything basically. Checked for a head gasket issue, you name it. Pressure test found nothing but EVERY time I drive it, there's that smell. Usually in the rear of engine area. All new clamps, ugh!!!
At this point my mechanic has no more ideas. He says just drive it and if it gets worse or I see drops, we'll start again!!

So my question really is: who else just lives with a coolant smell?!?!?!?!
I lived with it for a year or so, and had very minor coolant loss over that time, maybe added water 4 times, total of about a quart alltogether. I knew where my leak was, just under the tank are a couple of short hoses going to and out of the heater control valve and heater aux pump...those connections were seeping ever so slightly. Never left a puddle or anything, but I could see orange dried coolant there. When my aux pump died, the entire octopus hose assy was replaced, no more smell, no more loss. I have to say that is peace of mind too.

Last edited by SteveJacks; 07-18-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts

I had the coolant smell for more than a year, never a drop on the ground, and had to add about a 1/2 cup of coolant about every 2-3 months. When the frequency of adding became every 2-3 weeks, I decided it was time to investigate further. The (what I call) octopus of heater hoses back underneath and near the firewall were weeping at the connections. Had them replaced and have not smelled that sweet burning smell in about a year and a half. Undoubtedly, this is a common cause amongst our cars for the slight leak that is enough to trigger olfactory sensations.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 515 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
I had the coolant smell for more than a year, never a drop on the ground, and had to add about a 1/2 cup of coolant about every 2-3 months. When the frequency of adding became every 2-3 weeks, I decided it was time to investigate further. The (what I call) octopus of heater hoses back underneath and near the firewall were weeping at the connections. Had them replaced and have not smelled that sweet burning smell in about a year and a half. Undoubtedly, this is a common cause amongst our cars for the slight leak that is enough to trigger olfactory sensations.
Mine was the same hose cluster. It seemed that since my driveway was on a bit of an incline, the drip would hit a hot spot and evaporate before it could reach the ground. I only noticed it one day when I was parked on an opposite incline and it could drip directly on the ground.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
No, I am not? Help me out?

Old 07-19-2013, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
No, I am not? Help me out?
Both TSBs plus other possible causes are in this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...s-smell-50466/ . If you want to continue the gas smell discussion, we should move it to that thread to keep this one focussed on the coolant smell.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 07-19-2013 at 07:55 AM.