XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old body XKR or New body XK? For similar money what's better?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by BurgXK8
Thanks - that clears up the mercedes/ZF transmission confusion in the XKR series thru 2006. And the Brembo/Recaro question. I think I've only seen one car for sale with the Recaros - they looked nice but fit is probably not for everyone.

I ***presume*** the 6 speed ZF transmission isn't as horrible as the 5HP24? Been down that road once already....
I don't have any big complaints about the ZF 6spd. It does have a tendency to thunk into low gear when gently approaching stops but that is an idiosyncrasy of the Jaguar written software.

Ford used it in a number of trucks and SUVs so I don't think that robustness will be too big a problem long term, though they do like to have the oil changed periodically despite the claims that it is "sealed for life".

One aspect that is nice is the gas mileage that the extra gear gives. I just took a trip of about 300 miles through the mountains in my R and averaged a little more than 27mpg.

The following users liked this post:
BurgXK8 (08-01-2013)
Old 08-01-2013, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 514 Likes on 333 Posts

I may be stoned (with rocks) again, but I wanted with all my soul the newer body style. It looks sooo much like my XF. That's where Ian got the roofline from in the first place for the XF.
Don't get me wrong, I love my XK8, of course after I totally modified it, adding the Arden ground effects which I think are totally genius!! AND I personally think once the buck teeth and bulged out mesh grille are replaced with an inset flat grille AND body kit, the older (original) body style can TOTALLY hold its own against the newer one!
That being said, I'd trade in two seconds flat for an 07 or later xk! Only after I ordered a new grill loosing that damn Taurus/chrystler bar detail!! I think it's simply how sleek the newer style looks. There's no mistaking it for ANY other car. I've had my 02 XK8 compaired to a chrystler, camero, and several other "cars" UGH!!
I've NEVER heard the newer XK compaired to anything but an Astin Martin!!
Sorry, just my opinion!!

Old 08-01-2013, 09:27 PM
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

There has to be a custom body panel provider that makes a new front end for the XK. Maybe something like the new XF for a front end - totally open, no Ford Taurus aspect. That would be sweet.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BurgXK8
There has to be a custom body panel provider that makes a new front end for the XK. Maybe something like the new XF for a front end - totally open, no Ford Taurus aspect. That would be sweet.
If you simply replace the front grille with a later style without that fugly chrome Taurus bar and use a simple badge, it's soooooo not Taurus.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,575 Likes on 1,419 Posts

BurgundyXK8,
In my humble opinion, the first gen XK8/XKR convertibles are body wise more classic and attractive. And although I also love first gen coupes, I also find the 2007+ coupes extremely graceful and very beautiful (I am sure I will be adding a late model 5.0 XKR coupe to my collection in the near future). The newer generation is however a much more modern automobile in terms of handling, ride, even materials used. Either way, you'll have a grin on your face.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,984 Likes on 2,124 Posts

I think the 'Taurus' grill bar was actually styling cue from the XKE that they transferred to the new XK in 2007.

Unfortunately Ford had originally transferred it to the Taurus after they purchased Jaguar and it became permanently associated with the Taurus.

Jaguar realized their mistake and dropped it on the XK after only one year.

Attached Thumbnails Old body XKR or New body XK? For similar money what's better?-xke-sidefront.jpg  
Old 08-06-2013, 09:22 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Smile old XKR more fun acceleration, newer XK better handling

I drove two 2007 XK models (convertible and coupe) and then drove my 2002 XKR over the same range of roads including plenty of patched pavement.

The newer XK models handle better and since you can manually switch down to first gear you can pull off handling moves at lower speeds that cannot be done by any prior gen XKR.

However, the first gen XKR ALWAYS FEELS MORE POWERFUL and manual control of the transmission with those excellent paddle shifters never bridges that gap.

Being a city driver who previously drove a Porsche Boxster, I'd have gone for the newer XK had it been an option. But the vastly superior power satisfied my dream to have the muscle car experience and take on everything I encountered at stop lights and highway ramps.

BurgXK8 (08-07-2013)
Old 08-06-2013, 09:46 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

To me, the lines of a car are (almost) EVERYTHING. Buy the older body style IMHO.

ALSO, the color/int combination is of utmost importance to ME (and NO dark interiors on a convertible). just saying...they get too damn hot

Face it, 90% of what you see is paint.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

The heritage is clear:

Attached Thumbnails Old body XKR or New body XK? For similar money what's better?-ford_ka_hatchback_35022.jpg  
Old 08-06-2013, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 538 Likes on 401 Posts

That's a bit of a stretch, don't you think

Doug

weisberg (08-06-2013)
Old 08-06-2013, 11:10 AM
Received 159 Likes on 113 Posts

I own a 98 XK8 and 2008 XK. Both are coupes.
Aestheticly you are free to make your choice, personally I prefer the front of the old model and rear of the new one.
Performance wise it is my understanding that the 2007 and up model is less than a second slower to 60mph than the old model XKR, primarily due to the aluminium body’s lighter weight.
The new models transmission is much better and has the fastest reacting paddle shifter I’ve ever encountered. The new models seats are much more comfortable too. The rear seat in the old model is more usable than the new one, my dog certainly prefers the old model. Handling wise the new model is more responsive and sticks better in clover leaves etc.
I recently drove my 2008 XK 300 freeway miles averaging between 65-85 mph, and was rewarded by a reported 32 mpg! The old model could never approach that.
I always thought the old model was somehow more feminine, all those beautiful curves, and almost perfect proportions, whilst new model was more masculine, more aggressive, especially when viewed from the rear.
I love them both but honestly, the new model makes a better daily driver.
Regards,
White Bear.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:28 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

The newer one weighs the same and has the same interior space as the XK8 based model according to numerous car magazines (C&D,R&T, Automobile...). The new F-type is a whopping 500 Lbs more than a Boxster. Jaguar and Range Rover make great use of aluminum but the weight savings either are not there or drastically less than factory claims.

The older one garners comments from strangers in traffic or when parking every fourth time I use it. It's a celebrity. never got that attention in my Porsche, not that I sought to get that attention.

The back seat in the older coupe is certainly more useable for lithe adult females below 5'8" and full size child seats based on my direct experience. I am 5'9" and the seat behind me can fit a 4 year old while the 2 year old sits in the proper child seat.

Both cars are good. You can't go wrong if you accept them for what they are.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:21 AM
Received 150 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by avos
+1 on the better looks of the classic version.

These are 2 different style cars, I guess you either like the classic or the new one, so go for the one that appeals to you the most!
This.

The X100 has always been aspirational, and inspirational, for me. A modern classic and the XKE of my generation. There was something special about it. Mainly, that it's just achingly beautiful. And with steep depreciation (madness) and Ford electronics hidden away, you could get away with realistically owning one too.

The latest never has been, though I do love the new XKR(-S!) coupe now that they've fixed the headlights, which nobody mentioned as the real sticking point. Nevermind that XKE-indeed grille accent that came out in 2007, it was the headlamp shape that was hideous! Instant veto! And they can take that mid-size rental sedan dashboard with them! Where's the big English roadster slab of wood and 3-gauges? I want a taste of Old Blighty, dammit!

But the revised front fascia just really looks great now... The older XKR with the uber-Mercedes trans. is going to give you more bang for your buck and overall enjoyment. Don't settle!

Last edited by Sentinelist; 08-07-2013 at 01:25 AM.
BurgXK8 (08-07-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 06:17 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sentinelist
This.

The X100 has always been aspirational, and inspirational, for me. A modern classic and the XKE of my generation. There was something special about it. Mainly, that it's just achingly beautiful. And with steep depreciation (madness) and Ford electronics hidden away, you could get away with realistically owning one too.

The latest never has been, though I do love the new XKR(-S!) coupe now that they've fixed the headlights, which nobody mentioned as the real sticking point. Nevermind that XKE-indeed grille accent that came out in 2007, it was the headlamp shape that was hideous! Instant veto! And they can take that mid-size rental sedan dashboard with them! Where's the big English roadster slab of wood and 3-gauges? I want a taste of Old Blighty, dammit!

But the revised front fascia just really looks great now... The older XKR with the uber-Mercedes trans. is going to give you more bang for your buck and overall enjoyment. Don't settle!
+1 to the hideous headlights

Old 08-07-2013, 06:57 AM

From what I found, the newer aluminum XK actually weighs about 60 pounds more than the old version.

As for the ability to shift with paddles, if I were really that concerned I'd be looking at a car with a clutch. Paddles are for video games and real F1 cars.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by White Bear
I recently drove my 2008 XK 300 freeway miles averaging between 65-85 mph, and was rewarded by a reported 32 mpg! The old model could never approach that
I'd have to see that one to believe it. Impressive.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

IF I wanted the newer body style, I probably would have bought a GT-R or RS5 or some other nicer sports car. The 07+ does really nothing for me. I do like the latest 2012-13 iteration, but I'd rather still have an 04-06 XKR.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member

IMHO, I think the older body style XK8 gets more passionate approval because it came on the heels of the XJS. Probably one of the most controversial Jaguars ever made. (And not necessarily in a good way) the XK8 is sort of like King Tut, his father tried to change the entire Egyptian empire and Tut returned it to the original religion, much like the XK8 did for Jaguar after the XJS.
I still like both styles. Like to have a newer body style as well as my 2002.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:52 AM
Received 150 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by philhef
IMHO, I think the older body style XK8 gets more passionate approval because it came on the heels of the XJS. Probably one of the most controversial Jaguars ever made. (And not necessarily in a good way) the XK8 is sort of like King Tut, his father tried to change the entire Egyptian empire and Tut returned it to the original religion, much like the XK8 did for Jaguar after the XJS.
I still like both styles. Like to have a newer body style as well as my 2002.
The X100 gets passionate approval because it was the first ever modern and proper interpretation of the XKE legacy. I think less so of any relation to the XJS, though there were definitely some excitement to move on from it as well.

SeismicGuy (08-07-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 11:04 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Good on Jaguar for fixing the hideous XK headlights during the facelift. But why oh why did they not fix the Mercury Cougar'esque taillights?! Those two angular slabs of plastic are the only pieces that look out of place on that beautiful body. And to me, they ruin the whole design of the car.
The new XK is a much better car than the XK8/R (X100), but it will never match the older car's harmony of design. There is not a single line I would change on a X100 coupe - it is, in my book, the most beautiful car ever designed.

The following 2 users liked this post by marktmv:
ccfulton (08-07-2013), SeismicGuy (08-07-2013)

Quick Reply: Old body XKR or New body XK? For similar money what's better?