XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

ONE rear window won't go up! Any QUICK fixes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 06:28 PM
Received 51 Likes on 23 Posts
Exclamation ONE rear window won't go up! Any QUICK fixes?

I know for sure I have an iffy latch top sensor switch, because the rear windows occasionally retract on their own and the "Top Not Latched" warning pops up...and, I just hit the convertible top switch to close and pull on the top, and..all goes back to normal. I have the irritating little brother of the "Green Shower", the "Green Drip", which I will fix in the fall. TIll then, the top just stays up. Well, that and the 105-120 temps we've been having here all summer. No problem right now.

Till yesterday evening, that is. My rear windows dropped, and when I hit the switch, one of the rear windows made quite a racket, and refused to go up at all. Bad motor most likely, and I'll deal with it as soon as I can...

Does anyone know of a way to manually get that rear window in the UP position again, and stay? I have to leave on a long trip in 48 hours, and driving today convinced me that it will be a rather miserable trip if that window stays down.

Any advice on how to do this would be SINCERELY appreciated...Thank You in advance!

Old 09-03-2019, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,274 Likes on 699 Posts

The racket was probably the regulator cable snapping and trashing around. If you are lucky you will be able to grab the top of the window glass and slide it up. It will stay up if there is enough friction on the rubber seals.

Then you will have to tackle the R&R of the regulator.

You have to remove the rear seats, interior panels, body support bar, speaker, front seat belt retractor, outer window trim/seal. Also need to unbolt the driver side mounts for the top frame. That is all just so you can get to the window regulator which once unbolted must be extracted up/out vertically where it barely fits after many attempts. It's been covered here in other threads so should be easy to search.

Once you get the regulator out then you can either replace the assembly or repair it.

You can get a kit on Amazon to replace the cable for under $25. I covered how to replace the cable in my thread here.

Its not a simple job. Lots of stuff to R&R. Very time consuming. Be careful with the plastic bits that are brittle from age.

If you are DIY inclined and do most of your own repairs you should plan to spend a full day (maybe two) doing this the first time.

The following 2 users liked this post by rothwell:
DavidYau (09-04-2019), dbtk44 (09-03-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 07:03 PM
Received 51 Likes on 23 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by rothwell
The racket was probably the regulator cable snapping and trashing around. If you are lucky you will be able to grab the top of the window glass and slide it up. It will stay up if there is enough friction on the rubber seals.

Then you will have to tackle the R&R of the regulator.

You have to remove the rear seats, interior panels, body support bar, speaker, front seat belt retractor, outer window trim/seal. Also need to unbolt the driver side mounts for the top frame. That is all just so you can get to the window regulator which once unbolted must be extracted up/out vertically where it barely fits after many attempts. It's been covered here in other threads so should be easy to search.

Once you get the regulator out then you can either replace the assembly or repair it.

You can get a kit on Amazon to replace the cable for under $25. I covered how to replace the cable in my thread here.

Its not a simple job. Lots of stuff to R&R. Very time consuming. Be careful with the plastic bits that are brittle from age.

If you are DIY inclined and do most of your own repairs you should plan to spend a full day (maybe two) doing this the first time.
My Sincere Thanks rothwell! Didn't realize it could be just pulled up...and thank you for the info! I'm very DIY inclined ( wouldn't own an XK8 if I wasn't lol ), so this is on the agenda asap.

The following users liked this post:
DavidYau (09-04-2019)