XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One-Time No-Start--Why?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 01:03 PM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts
Default One-Time No-Start--Why?

My '06 XK8 coupe has been running and driving perfectly, and starting right up, every time. Last night, however, I was about to head off to a meeting in the Jag and it would not start. All the instrument lighting was working and the computer's diagnostic procedure ran through as usual. Nothing happened with the starter, however, on repeated attempts. No click, no whir, nothing. No dimming of lights to suggest a bad battery (which is pretty new, by the way).

I switched to my Land Rover and headed to my meeting. This morning, I grabbed the Jag key and tried again. Started right up! Shut it off and tried again. Started just fine.

Now what? Any clue as to why it might have refused to cooperate last night? Perhaps it just didn't think a boring drive of a mile or two, to a meeting, was a suitable outing for such a sporty car.

Thanks,

Granville

Old 07-21-2017, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,264 Likes on 692 Posts

I remember that happening to me once. Removing and reinserting the key solved it for me.

Did you ever remove the key when you were having the trouble? Or was the first reinsert done the next day?

Old 07-21-2017, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,809 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Granville, I often have a similar problem. Turn key to start, nothing, starter does not engage. Dashboard lights are all normal.

No current draw (eliminates battery / connections), its like the theft prevention system doesn't recognize the key.

I turn key to off and try again. She starts right up! Once every 5 or 6 times I need to try it once more, a third time, but she always starts like nothing was wrong.

I've analyzed this for 3+ years now. Not sure what is doing it. I think back, did I move the key switch through on - run - to start extra fast?(maybe but who can say. I need to go out and test this intentionally now! I will post results); did I briefly step on brake? Is this a quirk related to a bit less than 100% charged?

I've just shrugged it off, heck it just takes a couple of seconds to cycle again - and she always starts. In retrospect, it has never happened with a fully charged battery!

Please do correct me if your no start was different, but when I saw your post it reminded me that I should try to correct this if I can.

Fyi, this is just as likely to occur on any of the 3 ignition keys.

Assuming this is the same issue as Granville has, Does anyone know which components are only energized after the car's successful interrogation of the security chip in the key?

Maybe we could monitor one of these components to validate the chip / key ring security is the culprit.

Thanks, John

Last edited by Johnken; 07-21-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:33 PM
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I get this a couple times a year on my '00 XK8; It has never left me stranded for more than a few minutes, but a little bit unnerving. I'm very likely replacing my BPM soon due to another issue, and hopefully the no-start issues goes away too. Best of luck.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:17 PM

What is the BPM?

Gran

Old 07-21-2017, 06:57 PM

I didn't try removing the key and reinserting before retrying to start. If it happens again, I'll try that. Local indy shop owner suggest first thing to try is make sure I don't have corroded battery terminals and I plan to check them ASAP.

Gran

Old 07-21-2017, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,809 Likes on 1,115 Posts

BPM = body processor module. Fwiw, speed to turn to start is irrelevant based on this afternoon's quick test. She started right up.

John

Old 07-21-2017, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Johnken
BPM = body processor module. Fwiw, speed to turn to start is irrelevant based on this afternoon's quick test. She started right up.

John
Ah, what's called the BECM (body electronic control module) on Land Rovers, at least on the P38A (Mk II) models. Notoriously problematic on that model.

Thanks,

Granville

Old 07-21-2017, 10:41 PM

In my previous post, if anyone cares, the P38a model I mentioned was a Range Rover, which of course is still a Land Rover.

Granville