XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Ongoing ABS Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ongoing ABS Troubles

I feel like everyone on this board may be sick of hearing about the XK8's ABS problems, but even after going through every post, I'm still stumped.

Symptoms: ABS light on immediately after startup (not intermittent), messages for "Traction Control Fail" and "Stability Control Fail."

What I've done, mostly following the Jaguar XK8 "HARD FAULT" check sheet by G Emmerson on jagrepair.com:
  • Cleaned wheel speed sensors, cleaned connections, and used dielectric grease.
  • Inspected wires to sensors for obvious damage.
  • Confirmed fuses 4, 16, and 18 are good (visual inspection) and the correct amperage.
  • Checked each sensor's resistance with a multimeter at both the sensor itself and in the ABS plug under the hood. I didn't get the 2K mentioned in the check sheet, but each was consistent from sensor to sensor at 1K.
  • Had module professionally rebuilt.
  • Replaced my 3-year-old battery with a new one, even though it checked out OK with a load test.
  • Performed a "hard reset" by touching the negative battery cable to the positive post for one minute.
Car drives fine, I don't have a CEL on, and I'm not in limp home mode or anything like that. Scanned OBD codes and got nothing, but I don't think my reader does ABS anyway.

However, there are two other issues with the car that may or may not be related. For one, the Sport Mode doesn't work. It's not just the LED, as I can tell no difference in gear shifts when the button is on and off. Today, I also tried to shift through gears manually on the J-Gate. It shifted OK, except for some vagueness when selecting gears. It went almost immediately went into "Gearbox Fault," but that went away after I restarted the car. Again, probably not related, but I thought I'd mention just in case.

What's my next step here? Send the module back for another rebuild? Take the XK to the dreaded Jag dealer?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Benjamin

Old 01-07-2018, 06:03 PM
Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Been there with the ABS system.

I had the dreaded ABS bug on my 2000 xk8. I did a module rebuild, checked all the electrical specs and still the problem persisted. I bought a OBD2 scanner that could read ABS codes (Autel 619). Was able to get the C code and looked it up in the workshop manual. Turned out to be a bad left front sensor. Good luck.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:17 PM
Received 317 Likes on 243 Posts

I've been down this road before - " Professionally Rebuilt " .

Had a customer years ago ( NASA Engineer ) who claimed he had his ABS module rebuilt, yet it shows up to the dealer with ABS fault. Code C1095 ( very common code ) logged in ABS module. This is an easy fix, solder joint on circuit points inside break away causing the open circuit. However wasn't easy explaining to the moon goon that his ABS module was at fault.

There could be other issues inside the module - I've only had a handful of ABS modules fail due to wheel speed sensor codes.

I'd highly recommend getting access to a code reader that can access ABS codes and see what is logged before replacing anything else.

Let us know what you find.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:35 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts

I just fixed mine today. Sure enough, when viewed with magnifying glass, the solder joints were cracked (or dry as they say).
This forum and a couple of U-Tube videos show you how to DITY. Notice I disconnected the brake lines cause I didn't want to bend the crap out of them. Should be no problem bleeding the system when my wife can help. I was hesitant to do the job, but after doing continuity checks and verifying the sensors and leads were good, I took the plunge. I haven't driven it yet, but the ABS light is now off. I can provide pin#s for each sensor on the Control module harness.
David-Dougherty: was there continuity in the sensor; how did you know it was bad other than with the "C" code?

Attached Thumbnails Ongoing ABS Troubles-dsc04047.jpg   Ongoing ABS Troubles-dsc04055.jpg   Ongoing ABS Troubles-dsc04061.jpg   Ongoing ABS Troubles-dsc04062.jpg  

Last edited by Fla Steve; 01-07-2018 at 06:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bgr5722 (01-08-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,809 Likes on 2,242 Posts

I have a '97 abs sitting on the shelf that was repaired but still didn't work. Not sure, but I believe the code was C1054 or 1045 left front. I'm not the first to find that problem, and I think motorcarman may have mentioned the same. I bought a used module with the C1095 code for solder connections, repaired it and all was fine.

There should be an independent shop somewhere in your area that can read jag codes. Most shops charge a minimum of one hour for diagnostics, not very expensive to get the code and come back here with it.

I believe there are also code readers on the market that will do so, and it would worth buying one if you intend to keep the car. Mine is an Autoenginuity and while I will be in Florida for a visit in a couple of weeks, it will be on the other side, so not very convenient.

Last edited by RJ237; 01-07-2018 at 07:38 PM. Reason: sp
The following 2 users liked this post by RJ237:
bgr5722 (01-08-2018), Fla Steve (01-08-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping to find there was something obvious I overlooked. I'll call around to shops to see who can read Jag ABS codes and report back with the verdict.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:30 PM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts

Sorry to chime in late. Had the same "NO ABS/NO TRAC CONTROL" message intermittently on my '01 XKR. Took it into my indie (his code reader is better than mine) and he replaced a faulty left front wheel sensor (cheap fix).

Touch wood, no problems since.

Stu

Old 01-12-2018, 03:32 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry to slightly hijack the thread but does anybody know of anywhere near Blackpool, England that can read the ABS codes on a 98 XK8 that isn't a Jaguar dealer ( I don't want to pay £100 for an hours labour ).

Or will this to the job? It's only £100.

Land Rover & Jaguar iCarsoft i930 Multi System Diagnostic Tool - SRS, ABS, Engine etc..

Last edited by mrobinson; 01-12-2018 at 03:46 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

I have had my iCarsoft i930 scanner for not quite two years now. It will communicate with our 2005 S-Type and 2006 XK8, but it will not communicate with Wayne's (cjd777) 2000 XK8. iCarsoft's so-called tech support is useless so if you opt to order one, be sure you can return it for a full refund if it refuses to communicate with your vehicle....

mrobinson (01-15-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 02:22 PM
Received 317 Likes on 243 Posts

Don't forget that due to the nature of the link lead for ABS wheel speed sensor, they get stretched from front wheels turning, this could also be an issue ( a very common one ) with XK's (X100 ) and XJ's ( X308 ) .

Anytime you get warning messages - always best to see what codes have been logged before replacing parts, which can get expensive and get you nowhere.

1LeSvT (01-19-2018)
Old 11-22-2021, 02:09 PM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by David Dougherty
I had the dreaded ABS bug on my 2000 xk8. I did a module rebuild, checked all the electrical specs and still the problem persisted. I bought a OBD2 scanner that could read ABS codes (Autel 619). Was able to get the C code and looked it up in the workshop manual. Turned out to be a bad left front sensor. Good luck.
Is that an Autel AL619 or an Autel ML619?

Old 11-22-2021, 09:28 PM
Default Code Reader

Originally Posted by oldjaglover
Is that an Autel AL619 or an Autel ML619?
Mine is a AL619. I don't know what the ML619 is. Mine is a few years old so the ML could be a newer model. My AL619 can read ABS/SRS and Can codes along with OBD codes. It is a plug in type code reader. FYI one other ABS problem I had was a bad cable, code reader helped on that one. Tough to figure out as it was on the front left wheel and was intermitent code triggered by turning.

Old 11-23-2021, 12:08 PM

Mine is a AL619. I don't know what the ML619 is. Mine is a few years old so the ML could be a newer model. My AL619 can read ABS/SRS and Can codes along with OBD codes. It is a plug in type code reader. FYI one other ABS problem I had was a bad cable, code reader helped on that one. Tough to figure out as it was on the front left wheel and was intermitent code triggered by turning.
Thanks, David;

My wife ordered an ML619 from Amazon for about $100.It is supposed to be a newer upgrade. Did you have to download and put a update/upgrade on your AL619 scanner to get the Jaguar codes?

Ken

Old 11-23-2021, 04:23 PM
Default Used it right away

Thanks, David;

My wife ordered an ML619 from Amazon for about $100.It is supposed to be a newer upgrade. Did you have to download and put a update/upgrade on your AL619 scanner to get the Jaguar codes?

Ken
I did not have to load any software or updates. Just pluged it into the port and used it. Interface is pretty simple. I think you can connect it to a PC but I not needed to.
Good Luck

oldjaglover (11-24-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 02:24 PM

I did not have to load any software or updates. Just pluged it into the port and used it. Interface is pretty simple. I think you can connect it to a PC but I not needed to.
Good Luck
Thanks!

Old 11-25-2021, 01:22 PM

Good Luck
On the newer ML619 it has a TF card that you simply plug into your PC and download the update program you choose. Then you just put the card into the slot in the ML619 and it does everything else. Much better that the failed cable linked program transfer used by the iCarsoft that DID NOT WORK.

Old 11-25-2021, 06:51 PM
Default Fingers Crossed

On the newer ML619 it has a TF card that you simply plug into your PC and download the update program you choose. Then you just put the card into the slot in the ML619 and it does everything else. Much better that the failed cable linked program transfer used by the iCarsoft that DID NOT WORK.
I sure hope it works for you. Mine worked fine but hate to suggest a product and have a fellow Jag enthusiast run into problems.

Old 11-26-2021, 10:57 PM

I sure hope it works for you. Mine worked fine but hate to suggest a product and have a fellow Jag enthusiast run into problems.
Did you have to go through Autel's insane registration process? I followed all the directions....filled out their online form, then the instructions tell me I have to get the "password" for the scanner FROM the scanner. I had plugged in the scanner and it reminded me that I had removed the TF card so I could download the "update programs". OK, so I went back pulled the TF card and reinstalled it in the scanner. NOTHING. In fact, the scanner now won't even power up. Blank screen and won't accept any prompts. Apparently, the "password" for the scanner is NOT the same as the password I set up for my account. ??? So, my registration is being blocked. Without registering I cannot do the upgrade as far as I can tell. I have never encountered such a complicated scanner or system.

Old 11-27-2021, 10:04 AM
Default Sound like a PITA

This is what I have. I never did register it or have to upload any information. IT is the "AL619". After reading your problems I took it out and connected it to my car. The unit draws its power from the plug and it finds the correct protocal and connects. At that point it reads all standard OBD codes. When I go into ABS or SRS or CAN it asked for the maker and then the last 6 digits of the VIN. The only code on my car was the P1111 Jaguar code for "system ready". It can connect to a PC but only to print out the data.
One issue could be your car is a 97MY and maybe a 96 build year. OBD codes were standardized in 96 so that could be a issue. I hope you bought it via Amazon so it will be easy to return. Good Luck

Old 11-28-2021, 03:57 PM

This is what I have. I never did register it or have to upload any information. IT is the "AL619". After reading your problems I took it out and connected it to my car. The unit draws its power from the plug and it finds the correct protocal and connects. At that point it reads all standard OBD codes. When I go into ABS or SRS or CAN it asked for the maker and then the last 6 digits of the VIN. The only code on my car was the P1111 Jaguar code for "system ready". It can connect to a PC but only to print out the data.
One issue could be your car is a 97MY and maybe a 96 build year. OBD codes were standardized in 96 so that could be a issue. I hope you bought it via Amazon so it will be easy to return. Good Luck
My ML619 looks just like yours. Do you have a TF card slot in the top right side?

Well, I really screwed up this time. I re-installed the TF card (after forgetting it was back in the box), and it gave me some "no program....blah, blah..." message, so in removing it I broke it in half. That little ******* is impossible to get out with your fingers so I use a special pair of small, flat faced pliers. For whatever reason the TF card snapped in half. Since I think that card had my original program and ID information I guess I'm screwed until I get a new one....or a whole new unit.

Quick Reply: Ongoing ABS Troubles