XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Ongoing ABS Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2021, 05:02 PM
Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Send it back

Originally Posted by oldjaglover
My ML619 looks just like yours. Do you have a TF card slot in the top right side?

Well, I really screwed up this time. I re-installed the TF card (after forgetting it was back in the box), and it gave me some "no program....blah, blah..." message, so in removing it I broke it in half. That little ******* is impossible to get out with your fingers so I use a special pair of small, flat faced pliers. For whatever reason the TF card snapped in half. Since I think that card had my original program and ID information I guess I'm screwed until I get a new one....or a whole new unit.
I may have that card but I never had to deal with it. I looked the the Autel site and they don't even have a download for the AL619. Mine just worked. I think your best bet would be to just send it back to Amazon. It seems like there is something not quite right with it.

Old 12-16-2021, 12:31 AM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by David Dougherty
I may have that card but I never had to deal with it. I looked the the Autel site and they don't even have a download for the AL619. Mine just worked. I think your best bet would be to just send it back to Amazon. It seems like there is something not quite right with it.
Well, all's well that ends well.....for now. I sent the scanner back and they sent me a new one. But it turns out I didn't even need it.

I sent my ABS module to ModuleRepairPro in Van Nuys, CA. They did their magic (I have no idea what they did), got it back to me within a few days, and I reinstalled it. No more DTC, idiot lights, "incorrect part installed" warning, brake light, ABS light.....and the speedo/ODO works again.

I took it for a drive and it was wonderful UNTIL the PS reservoir drained out and I barely made it home as it became harder and harder to turn. I had a small leak that would leave a stain on the cardboard under the car when it sat for weeks or months. Not worth doing anything. But I took some friendly forum advice and put some recommended PS stop leak gunk in the pot. At first the reservoir would never go down enough to put more than a 1/4 cup in. At some point I was able to get half the bottle in there. No change. So, when I had to get back home as the steering grinded on my ears the reservoir had emptied. Huh? OK...so put the rest of the super-duper PS leak stopper crap in and drove it again. A few blocks of turning both ways and the pot was empty again. GRRRRRR! So, it's sitting in my garage again with no plan to get it fixed.

I can't get down there and pull hoses or even clean the mess. I did take pics that shows wetness down on the hoses, but nothing leaking from on the reservoir (I couldn't be that lucky). If it stops raining I might try a little hosing with my high pressure washer wand. But it's gotta go to a shop who won't rip me off. Getting old is a bitch! And, it's expensive.

Old 12-16-2021, 06:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,387 Likes on 2,866 Posts

The power steering fluid leak is typically due to the failing black plastic Norma connector located on the passenger side of the engine bay underneath the air filter housing. You remove the air filter housing in order to get to it. Many of us simply cut that lousy Norma connector out of the system and replace it with a 3/8-inch by 3/8-inch brass hose barb, a short section of new 3/8-inch hose, and three new hose clamps. We did my wife's 2006 XK8 in February 2018 for less than $10 in new parts, all purchased at my local NAPA store. Not a drop of power steering fluid has leaked since....

The following users liked this post:
David Dougherty (12-16-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 07:25 AM
Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

I had pretty much the same problem, and did pretty much the same things for several years. On a whim, I opened up the module and, with a fine tipped soldering iron, just touched-up the 21 points where the connecting socket pins are soldered to the printed circuit board. No problems now for about eight months. These pins are the 21 (3 rows of 7) shown top left of the circuit board.
This may or may not be your problem, but I just wanted to pass on what cured my similar problem.

Old 12-17-2021, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jon89
The power steering fluid leak is typically due to the failing black plastic Norma connector located on the passenger side of the engine bay underneath the air filter housing. You remove the air filter housing in order to get to it. Many of us simply cut that lousy Norma connector out of the system and replace it with a 3/8-inch by 3/8-inch brass hose barb, a short section of new 3/8-inch hose, and three new hose clamps. We did my wife's 2006 XK8 in February 2018 for less than $10 in new parts, all purchased at my local NAPA store. Not a drop of power steering fluid has leaked since....
Interesting! That would be on the opposite side from the reservoir. Hmmmm....a connection point way over there? What is a "Norma" connector? Got any pics?

Last edited by oldjaglover; 12-17-2021 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-17-2021, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by mcook
I had pretty much the same problem, and did pretty much the same things for several years. On a whim, I opened up the module and, with a fine tipped soldering iron, just touched-up the 21 points where the connecting socket pins are soldered to the printed circuit board. No problems now for about eight months. These pins are the 21 (3 rows of 7) shown top left of the circuit board.
This may or may not be your problem, but I just wanted to pass on what cured my similar problem.
So, you "re-soldered" the pins that go to the main connector to the harness?Wow. No one has suggested that.

Old 12-18-2021, 12:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,686 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Usually just resoldering the 2 main power pins will fix the typical issues. That said, if there is any evidence of cracking solder on the other main connector pins, then it makes sense to give them some attention as well.

For my old eyes Magnification was needed to make a definitive determination.

Z